Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah the whole lead up to the aquaduct area is full of shit to do. Also, there is a deer boss who requires you to light all torches to access that is kind of interesting at the level you should be to be there. If the orc guys are giving you issues, slapping a holy ash on your favorite weapon is a great way to handle them, especially if its a spear. They are often weak to holy and the spear moveset counters their ax moves rather well. Just look out for the laser sniper arrow guys.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Definitely never said it was boring, but yeah, it’s taxing during the first play through in dangerous and new areas, with the constant threat of souls loss looming if you die. It’s not trivial to trick one’s brain into thinking death doesn’t matter. Especially when I’m an explorer, wanting to find every nook and cranny.

He may be referencing the DS3 poison swamp, in which case I completely agree. I think I did the same thing, got down there after killing a couple of progression bosses and I’m like... yeah I need a break before I tackle this AIDS swamp.

To be clear, taxing in this context is decidedly not a bad thing. It speaks to how engaged I am when playing these. They’re all phenomenal games. If it weren’t taxing, then that would mean it’s trivial to progress/complete, which would severely diminish the game.
This amazes me, because until Elden Ring came along, DS3 had to be the most friendly game for soul farming up to where you wanted to be in the entire series. And Elden Ring is only easy because the Bird farm is a thing for folks who can get there. I agree that their love of poison swamps is crazy and annoying, but there has not been anything as bad as Blight Town since DS1.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The poison swamp + insta death cthulu screamers in Bloodborne was pretty fucking..... toxic

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bloodborne had a lot of cheap bullshit. That and the twitch combat is why I never replayed that game. The atmosphere and lore were top notch, though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Was I just being an idiot and overlooked the tutorial about accessing my stash while in RTH? The middle table isn't actually a Grace site to rest at and open it. Oh shit it is lol. I've always jumped up on the damn thing hahha oh boy. Disregard![/S][/S]

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You actually use your stash?

Yeah, oddly enough. I use it to hold weapons and armor so that I'll know which ones are dupes and which I only have 1 of. No real reason for it, just a habit from older Souls games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You stopped playing DS3 because of how varied and awesome it was? Never once has I ever read anyone say DS3 is boring and taxing... yall are weird.
Nah. At its core DS games are repetitive. Meet new mob, memorize its moves, learn how to juke them and then move onto the next challenge. It's a fun loop but got tiresome for me after 3 games. ER breaks this up with other gameplay loops and repeating mobs throughout so you can re-use the knowledge you've gained already.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You actually use your stash?
I put weapons I might upgrade to use at some point or spells I will never memorize. I do a lot of situational swapping and having a tidy inventory helps.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Comet Azur trick does work against big/slow bosses, but I think that whatever you can do with it in ~8 seconds could be done as well or better with bleeds or pest threads (utterly destroys the final boss, since it's immune to bleed, and just about any other huge boss). Azur is probably the best option for burst damage for int builds though, I don't think even Wing of Astel or Death's Poker can put out that much burst and they're by far the best weapons now.
What are 'pest threads'?

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I highly suggest you all use the hold Y + d pad menu for 4 (or 6?) hotkeys on a gamepad. It's a new feature with this iteration of their souls game (I think, at least I don't remember it in previous games).

I was like level 100 when I first learned about the Y menu (gamepad). You can hotkey 4 items so you can hold Y+right/left/up/down dpad to activaet. I put my flasks and torrent on them. It was super awkward at first and I died a couple times pressing the wrong buttons because I was so used to cycling through every item to get to the item I needed, but once I got used to it I could summon Torrent, restore HP, FP and use my physique flask instantly without flipping through anything.
Also holding y and then pressing lb or rb will switch to the 2 handed stance of that weapon. So you can switch to the 2 handed stance of your off hand weapon, use it's L2 ability, and then switch back. This also works on horse back. I use it to switch to my seal to cast spells while riding. When equipped this way you use right button to cast.

If you dismount while using your off hand 2 handed stance you will stay in that stance when on foot. You can hold y +rb if you want to switch out or simply press right or left on the d pad twice to cycle your equipped hand from empty back to equipped to quickly get back to dual wielding. (Provided you only have one weapon for that slot. I have a sword in Main hand and a shield and seal in off hand so taping right twice works quick)

Also, for anyone using the fireball spells that have an arc to them. Looking up will increase their range beyond what the lock on provides. If your target is really far away you can lock on to point yourself towards them, then break the lock and aim up to gain range. The projectiles will despawn before hitting anything if you aim too far though.

I used that to hit the carian study hall mage.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
This amazes me, because until Elden Ring came along, DS3 had to be the most friendly game for soul farming up to where you wanted to be in the entire series. And Elden Ring is only easy because the Bird farm is a thing for folks who can get there. I agree that their love of poison swamps is crazy and annoying, but there has not been anything as bad as Blight Town since DS1.
Ds1 had the forest with the ghost dudes where you could agro them, run the the entrance and and then knock them off the cliff, super easy souls if you wanted to farm.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Haven't been able to play for like a week due to some RL shit eating my time. Need to get back to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Beat the game - thinking about NG+ :)

Quick question - Gator Gator is going to need my help tremendously to even come close to beating this - and he is lost without me. If I go to NG+ can I still join his world when he never gits gud fgt?

Also, At the end of the game I found out you can use the roundtable as a place to level up and such just like sites of grace lol oops.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Swarm of flies definitely. I actually leveled some stats there just to be able to have it. Mimic used it as well - still have to beat her though unless I did it drunk and forgot.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Did you test Swarm of Flies?
I have not, at least not yet. This was from like 10 days ago testing like 10 "broken" weapon builds (respeccing etc) against her specifically (basically fighting through part of phase 2 and dying). Looks really strong though and easy. Black knife was the easiest of my testing though as you basically just range her down with impunity