Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Death Rite Bird just outside of Sol Castle is now the first boss that I have run into that I am just not going to bother trying to kill, fuck that thing right in its ugly bird doll face.
Apparently you can lure it off the cliff and it dies to fall damage lol.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't know what it is that I hate so much about fighting death birds. I think it's just the sheer embarrassment of getting pecked by a black Tweety.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Spoiler tags use [.spoiler] and type what you want here [./spoiler].

Remove the leading period I added after the first bracket for each. If you reply to someone with a spoiler you can see the tags in the reply before you hit the button to post it.
Fixed it thanks, I definitely should have known that!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know what it is that I hate so much about fighting death birds. I think it's just the sheer embarrassment of getting pecked by a black Tweety.
The camera

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think my favorite part of Elden Ring is it follows the open world formula of allowing players to figure out what to expect in any given area by exploring, but the areas you know to search for are still different in each biome.

When you find a tunnel or a cave or catacomb, it has the same aesthetic as the tunnel and cave or catacomb you found in Limgrave. But the layout is completely unique. It's not just a carbon copy with different secret doors.

From Software knows how to make the most out of reused assets like no one else. Just like their chalice system in Bloodborne.
Yeah they’re good at it, I was just thinking about this while playing yesterday. Found a new catacombs I had missed. Start it up, obviously identical to every other one I’ve been to at the start and I was just glad to check it out and see the layout. Over 100 hours in, reused assets, and still not burnt out says something about the quality imo. They also mix it up enough that finding a new cave and catacomb is fairly rare. You aren’t tripping over the same asset dungeon like botw with shrines.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, maybe. The camera is fine with the PC mod I use though. Increase FOV, ultra widescreen and no motion-driven camera adjustments.
I don’t use any mods but I think it’s just the move set of the mob and targeting it’s head that sucks. The mobs head whips around a lot, if you have it targeted the camera easily flips around a lot. Other than that I didn’t mind fighting those things. Just have to lock onto its main body/leg target point instead of its head.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I usually avoid locking on to some of the bigger stuff. They're so big its like aiming at a barn when you swing, where as if you lock on it can jump around on the targeting where you're aiming at the ankle but as you swing it'll lock on to the head or something causing you to miss.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't think I lock onto the birds at all. Anything bigger than a crucible knight and I'd rather just use the joystick/mouse to control my movement/camera.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Okay so I made it to Haligtree, left there and killed Rykard, not really sure what to do next.

I went back to RtH and 3 ppl left. (Rogier/D died and Fia peaced out)

I found a note about Ds brother being near Nokstella so maybe Ill go there, still don't want this game to end.
If you haven’t done the underground stuff yet you got a lot of game left.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah they’re good at it, I was just thinking about this while playing yesterday. Found a new catacombs I had missed. Start it up, obviously identical to every other one I’ve been to at the start and I was just glad to check it out and see the layout. Over 100 hours in, reused assets, and still not burnt out says something about the quality imo. They also mix it up enough that finding a new cave and catacomb is fairly rare. You aren’t tripping over the same asset dungeon like botw with shrines.

And they’re aware enough to play in to your familiarity to trip you up. Some cool examples that I’m too lazy to spoiler, but they make the most of it for sure.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Plus the repeated dungeon biomes and mobs/bosses are a nice break. When you just finish a legacy dungeon like Stormveil and find a catacomb you get some relief because you're familiar with the enemies and familiar with the layout enough to make it a nice palette cleanser.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Plus the repeated dungeon biomes and mobs/bosses are a nice break. When you just finish a legacy dungeon like Stormveil and find a catacomb you get some relief because you're familiar with the enemies and familiar with the layout enough to make it a nice palette cleanser.

This is a good point. The legacy dungeons are crazy good but they’re taxing, a palette cleanser was needed to be able to keep playing constantly. Otherwise I’d have gotten fatigued, that happened in every other FromSoft game. I’d reach a new scary area and just quit for a couple days, was exhausted.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is a good point. The legacy dungeons are crazy good but they’re taxing, a palette cleanser was needed to be able to keep playing constantly. Otherwise I’d have gotten fatigued, that happened in every other FromSoft game. I’d reach a new scary area and just quit for a couple days, was exhausted.
This is what made me stop playing DS3. I beat some boss in the middle of the game after a few tries and opened up some new shithole zone and just totally lost interest in slowly muddling my way through another grueling zone with new enemies to learn, new traps etc. It wasn't even hard, it just felt.... taxing, like you said.

Where as in ER you get diversity of basically trivial and relaxing (for the most part...) open world exploration and repeated dungeons to break up the ball-crushing bosses / legacy dungeons.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This is what made me stop playing DS3. I beat some boss in the middle of the game after a few tries and opened up some new shithole zone and just totally lost interest in slowly muddling my way through another grueling zone with new enemies to learn, new traps etc. It wasn't even hard, it just felt.... taxing, like you said.

Where as in ER you get diversity of basically trivial and relaxing (for the most part...) open world exploration and repeated dungeons to break up the ball-crushing bosses / legacy dungeons.
You stopped playing DS3 because of how varied and awesome it was? Never once has I ever read anyone say DS3 is boring and taxing... yall are weird.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You stopped playing DS3 because of how varied and awesome it was? Never once has I ever read anyone say DS3 is boring and taxing... yall are weird.

Definitely never said it was boring, but yeah, it’s taxing during the first play through in dangerous and new areas, with the constant threat of souls loss looming if you die. It’s not trivial to trick one’s brain into thinking death doesn’t matter. Especially when I’m an explorer, wanting to find every nook and cranny.

He may be referencing the DS3 poison swamp, in which case I completely agree. I think I did the same thing, got down there after killing a couple of progression bosses and I’m like... yeah I need a break before I tackle this AIDS swamp.

To be clear, taxing in this context is decidedly not a bad thing. It speaks to how engaged I am when playing these. They’re all phenomenal games. If it weren’t taxing, then that would mean it’s trivial to progress/complete, which would severely diminish the game.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
And on that note, just wrapped up the Plat. I do appreciate the collection trophies being legendary only. Traditional Souls collection trophies might have been too much with this game’s expansiveness.

10/10 game, best I’ve ever played if my 180 hours and never being bored or wanting to stop playing is any metric. This was like an EQ experience for me, likely will never have the same feeling again, even on a sequel. These designers deserve huge bonuses, especially the level designers.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely never said it was boring, but yeah, it’s taxing during the first play through in dangerous and new areas, with the constant threat of souls loss looming if you die. It’s not trivial to trick one’s brain into thinking death doesn’t matter. Especially when I’m an explorer, wanting to find every nook and cranny.

He may be referencing the DS3 poison swamp, in which case I completely agree. I think I did the same thing, got down there after killing a couple of progression bosses and I’m like... yeah I need a break before I tackle this AIDS swamp.

To be clear, taxing in this context is decidedly not a bad thing. It speaks to how engaged I am when playing these. They’re all phenomenal games. If it weren’t taxing, then that would mean it’s trivial to progress/complete, which would severely diminish the game.
Agree with the engagement part. These games are the only ones I notice myself tensed up while playing, jumping physically when something scares the shit out of you, etc.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users