Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Here's hoping they don't try to go all cinematic and keep it mostly environmental though in the story telling department.

If they go cinematic, that'll be a departure from every game they've done before. From what I can recall all of their games have been teased by a CGI trailer, then having the opening as CGI followed by cinematics being "uh oh, boss time".

Based on the description above it sounds like Dark Souls in a new setting. Perhaps, as you say, marrying the skill trees\rpg elements from Sekiro along with the weapon\armor variety of a Souls game. Which would be fantastic. That's my favorite thing about a Souls game. Exploring the world for the first time, looking in every nook and cranny for weapons, armors, spells.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
If they go cinematic, that'll be a departure from every game they've done before. From what I can recall all of their games have been teased by a CGI trailer, then having the opening as CGI followed by cinematics being "uh oh, boss time".

Based on the description above it sounds like Dark Souls in a new setting. Perhaps, as you say, marrying the skill trees\rpg elements from Sekiro along with the weapon\armor variety of a Souls game. Which would be fantastic. That's my favorite thing about a Souls game. Exploring the world for the first time, looking in every nook and cranny for weapons, armors, spells.

Right. I am familiar with how they tease games as I have been following them since they revealed Bloodborne. I'm not basing that off of anything I gleamed off of the trailer at all. Someone in this thread just brought up GRRM's building great characters, so it made me type out my hopes that that is not the case, and GRRM just helped build the world and background lore. I still want the story being slowly revealed through the background as it had been. My only hope is they tighten that up a bit so it doesn't come across as a ton of individual ideas that were all dumped together in a bowl and mixed up. As much as I loved it, Bloodborne ended up kind of going off the rails and it seemed there way too many threads (albeit really cool ones) that did not even meld together. I think Myazaki is great, but he leans too heavily on the whole "I like people to fill in the blanks" shtick to the point of it being a crutch for not being able to fully bring together independent ideas. And I do think GRRM could help immensely with that part.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Right. I am familiar with how they tease games as I have been following them since they revealed Bloodborne. I'm not basing that off of anything I gleamed off of the trailer at all. Someone in this thread just brought up GRRM's building great characters, so it made me type out my hopes that that is not the case, and GRRM just helped build the world and background lore. I still want the story being slowly revealed through the background as it had been. My only hope is they tighten that up a bit so it doesn't come across as a ton of individual ideas that were all dumped together in a bowl and mixed up. As much as I loved it, Bloodborne ended up kind of going off the rails and it seemed there way too many threads (albeit really cool ones) that did not even meld together. I think Myazaki is great, but he leans too heavily on the whole "I like people to fill in the blanks" shtick to the point of it being a crutch for not being able to fully bring together independent ideas. And I do think GRRM could help immensely with that part.
You’re not wrong, but I do like that the Miyazaki style story telling encourages “community” and people like Vaati to do deep dives into lore and discussion of design and environmental elements. I can certainly appreciate the argument that it shouldn’t require an essay and doctoral thesis to get your head around the plot of a video game. Personally, though, I like it.

• 2Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The "various styles" thing reminds me of the first Dark Souls, where you could pretty much play any type of character class you could design. If that's the case, I'm sold like a motherfucker.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
You’re not wrong, but I do like that the Miyazaki style story telling encourages “community” and people like Vaati to do deep dives into lore and discussion of design and environmental elements. I can certainly appreciate the argument that it shouldn’t require an essay and doctoral thesis to get your head around the plot of a video game. Personally, though, I like it.

It's a razor thin line for sure, and really if they can't do it without retaining the community engagement years after release, I'm totally fine with it being a mixed bowl. That shit was amazing and kind of scary at the same time lol, and it was a shitload of fun to watch various people's takes on what it all meant.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
There is zero chance GRRM is doing anything but showing up in an office, taking a dump, and getting a paycheck to have his name attached to it for marketing purposes.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
There is zero chance GRRM is doing anything but showing up in an office, taking a dump, and getting a paycheck to have his name attached to it for marketing purposes.
Lol you’re delusional.

No way he is actually showing up to an office.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they have more RPG elements or real multipayer I might buy. I know a lot of people like From stuff but I think Dark Souls(?) was the first game I ever returned the next day.

Buddy hyped me up on it. Cleared the tutorial got to the first real area. Cleared trash for 20 mins and died on first boss. Noticed that you had to clear 20 mins of trash each boss attempt. Returned it to GameStop for maybe $10 less than I bought. Dude at counter said ... "yeah we get a lot of returns on this". :p

I saw Bloodborne at my friends house. He died in the first room to a wolf? Then 4 minute loading screen. :oops:

Was Sekiro any different?

Last edited:
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Probably better off avoiding this thread, if that's the case.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If they have more RPG elements or real multipayer I might buy. I know a lot of people like From stuff but I think Dark Souls(?) was the first game I ever returned the next day.

Buddy hyped me up on it. Cleared the tutorial got to the first real area. Cleared trash for 20 mins and died on first boss. Noticed that you had to clear 20 mins of trash each boss attempt. Returned it to GameStop for maybe $10 less than I bought. Dude at counter said ... "yeah we get a lot of returns on this". :p

I saw Bloodborne at my friends house. He died in the first room to a wolf? Then 4 minute loading screen. :oops:

Ah yes. You didn't realize you could just run past the trash on the way back to your next attempt.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

From isn't for you, friend. All their games are as you described.

• 4Like
  • 1Barf

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I used to care about George R.R. Martin. That was until I read the book his wife finished while pegging him with a strap on.

Now all he cares about is re-enacting the Rancor scene from Jabba’s palace. He is pretending that his 10 stacked EZ cheese Ritz cracker sandwich is a squealing Gammeron Guard.

1560297368680.gif

Last edited:
  • 3WTF
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

No, They're games are supposed to be hard.

And you're supposed to die to that wolf in Bloodborne

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
stuff but I think Dark Souls(?) was the first game I ever returned the next day.

If you're serious you need to gtfo of this community because you are one sad sack of pussy shit

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
  • 1Worf

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

It's kind of funny... my first foray into this series was Bloodborne, and yeah you are supposed to die to that first werewolf. And my response was "Neat! A single player EQ." I loved the challenge, and thank Christ I did, because legit I was on the first boss for well over a week. Fortunately I started after the patch that reduced the load times, so it wasn't that bad. Based on the interview and the footage shown, this game has me pumped. Wasn't a fan of what Sekiro turned out to be, and this more what I like to see out of From.

Footage is a bad word choice. From the cinematics shown, the theme is more my style is what I should have said.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users