Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why is it better than elden ring? Never played DS3.
Mostly what Liquid said. I preferred the maze-like, linear quality of DS3. I don't use guides for games and the first time with ER I went to Caelid after Stormveil. It was just a bad experience and not fun so I stopped playing. My 2nd playthrough I went Liurnia after Stormveil and it was better. However I still haven't finished the game. The open world is bland to me and the bosses are unmemorable. Music is also very important to me and DS3 just has better music.

Finally, and this isn't ER's fault, but I played DS3 when I used to have more free time and was also going through some shit. The darker style was soothing at the time, so there's more of an emotional, nostalgic connection to the game and the rest of the series.

I've finished DS3 multiple times and ER zero times.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Mostly what Liquid said. I preferred the maze-like, linear quality of DS3. I don't use guides for games and the first time with ER I went to Caelid after Stormveil. It was just a bad experience and not fun so I stopped playing. My 2nd playthrough I went Liurnia after Stormveil and it was better. However I still haven't finished the game. The open world is bland to me and the bosses are unmemorable. Music is also very important to me and DS3 just has better music.

Finally, and this isn't ER's fault, but I played DS3 when I used to have more free time and was also going through some shit. The darker style was soothing at the time, so there's more of an emotional, nostalgic connection to the game and the rest of the series.

I've finished DS3 multiple times and ER zero times.

Interesting, I found ER's music to be pretty fucking great. Granted I can't say I remember DS3's music, but I do know that ER is the first time I ever thought "damn this is cool music" in any of the From games. They've always had great music but a few tracks of ER's felt transcendent.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why is it better than elden ring? Never played DS3.
Edge lords say shit like that mostly, but there is a subset of masochists who hate the QoL and open world of ER for whatever reason. I personally found the level design the worst of the games, except the DLC. It also had a lot of balance issues between builds and weapons (at least in PvE terms) and one of the roughest gatekeeper fights in the series with how rough it was on certain builds (Dancer). It has the best variety of bosses, however, by far. And with certain exceptions, ER's dungeons are kind of cookie cutter and lacking. The undead caverns and jail area in DS3 are, in particular, stand out sections of the game series. But I think the lower parts of the Halig Tree and certainly the sewers stack up to anything from prior souls games, to say nothing of Stormwind Castle.

• 3Like
  • 1Edgelord

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Interesting, I found ER's music to be pretty fucking great. Granted I can't say I remember DS3's music, but I do know that ER is the first time I ever thought "damn this is cool music" in any of the From games. They've always had great music but a few tracks of ER's felt transcendent.
The Nameless King fight is the pinnacle of Souls games, in terms of the music, boss design, and look. The actual fight mechanics are pretty difficult too, but not in a frustrating way. The DLC fight with the scythe swinging wench and grandpa with his big flaming pot might be the only better total boss fight experience. In ER, really only the Houra Louix and Radahn fights compare to it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Has DS3 been remastered for PC? That's the case maybe you pick it up come steam summer sale. Does DS1 and DS2 good? I think I might actually have DS1 I just never got around to playing because I didn't buy a controller at the time probably because of work, but bought for the cheap on a holiday.

He only real experience I've ever had with their games is the original demons souls console import Japanese version for PS3, and then Elden Ring

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am a console peasant, but the Demons Souls remaster for PS5 was amazing. I would love to see the other three games done to that standard.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The Nameless King fight is the pinnacle of Souls games, in terms of the music, boss design, and look. The actual fight mechanics are pretty difficult too, but not in a frustrating way. The DLC fight with the scythe swinging wench and grandpa with his big flaming pot might be the only better total boss fight experience. In ER, really only the Houra Louix and Radahn fights compare to it.
Ishina fight in Sekiro is the best boss fight they have ever done. I will die on this hill.

1716501595557.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Has DS3 been remastered for PC? That's the case maybe you pick it up come steam summer sale. Does DS1 and DS2 good? I think I might actually have DS1 I just never got around to playing because I didn't buy a controller at the time probably because of work, but bought for the cheap on a holiday.

He only real experience I've ever had with their games is the original demons souls console import Japanese version for PS3, and then Elden Ring

Only Demon Souls and Bloodborne are Playstation exclusives, the rest is available on PC. I recommend you buy all the complete PC versions, if you don't own any of them already.

The Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded mandatory SoulsBourne list:

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED
DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin
DARK SOULS III Deluxe Edition
Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice - GOTY Edition

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Only Demon Souls and Bloodborne are Playstation exclusives, the rest is available on PC. I recommend you buy all the complete PC versions, if you don't own any of them already.

The Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded mandatory SoulsBourne list:

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED
DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin
DARK SOULS III Deluxe Edition
Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice - GOTY Edition
Thank you, sir.

Robert Redford Nod GIF

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It’s a testament to FromSoft’s talent level that it’s rare to find duplicate favorite bosses, levels, etc. Everything is so damn good that people will pick the thing based on minutia because it’s not immediately obvious what’s the best.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It’s a testament to FromSoft’s talent level that it’s rare to find duplicate favorite bosses, levels, etc. Everything is so damn good that people will pick the thing based on minutia because it’s not immediately obvious what’s the best.
I'll never get good, except I kind of did when I was playing elden ring. I guess I would like to sit down and play those older games just to see the world and the encounters or whatever. I just remembered demon's souls being so different than any game I had ever played, I think I was working my way through the final world with the giant manta rays flying through the sky, but for whatever reason I stopped playing.

I just figured I would ask you guys why the different iterations of the game are so good. No different than me asking about a movie review. I think on the summer sale pops up I'm probably go ahead and pick up all of them, I just have no clue if I can make the time, but I guess we'll see.

Thanks, gents...

• 3Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well I finished Sekiro. Only had items for the Shura ending. Reloaded to see if I could get the other 3 and no joy. But, that's what Youtube is for. Guess I WILL have time to run through ER again before the DLC. Now I'm debating if I want to do a whole new toon when the DLC drops and maybe use this time to try to 'get gud' w/ Dark Souls. Looking at the list above, I have them all except Scholar of the First Sin. All I had was regular ol' DS2.

• 4Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ishina fight in Sekiro is the best boss fight they have ever done. I will die on this hill.

View attachment 529968
I can kind of agree but there is only one right move in each moment, not being able to change tactics gia new weapons and builds pops it down to like third best.
The first time I fought the big red giant in elden ring is my most hype, that shit had me almost out my seat when the fucker tore his own leg off.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I fucking hate his liberal use of they/their for any of the characters that might have the dual male/female halves. The game makes distinct differences between the male and female parts of the beings, gives them different names, and never shows them in some sort of androgynous mixed form. St. Trina is a SHE and Miquella is a HE in the in-game lore. It is fucking jarring when he does it.

• 4Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I fucking hate his liberal use of they/their for any of the characters that might have the dual male/female halves. The game makes distinct differences between the male and female parts of the beings, gives them different names, and never shows them in some sort of androgynous mixed form. St. Trina is a SHE and Miquella is a HE in the in-game lore. It is fucking jarring when he does it.
If I was Vaati and made videos about ER that would be highly criticisized I'd use they/them for 100% of the characters just incase FromSoft makes them genderbenders in the future. If there's anybody who deserves to be a them it's a character who was born after they fucked themselves.

• 3Worf

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
If I was Vaati and made videos about ER that would be highly criticisized I'd use they/them for 100% of the characters just incase FromSoft makes them genderbenders in the future. If there's anybody who deserves to be a them it's a character who was born after they fucked themselves.

I got the feeling that he was doing it out of an abundance of cation, but it doesn't change the fact that he has an image of a girl in a dress on the screen and calls her "they" in the singular it is annoying as fuck. He also started referring to non-gendered things as "they" instead of "it" and it just sounds so out of place.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

What I've felt is the most transcendent track in the series was the main menu theme of Dark Souls 1. What an incredible piece of music.

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What I've felt is the most transcendent track in the series was the main menu theme of Dark Souls 1. What an incredible piece of music.
Wait till you get to the prince fight in ds3. Best sound track in souls or at least up there.

• 3Like