Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
wow. better get a new computer then
My favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate II. This game is sharing the pedestal. For the same reasons. The depth of exploration and stuff to discover is truly unreal. I am 20 hours in and I am just scratching the surface.

I am admittedly taking my sweet ass time though and like everyone is mentioning. Even if you are going into the game trying to find everything and explore you will miss tons of shit. We are all missing tons of shit. It's amazing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate II. This game is sharing the pedestal. For the same reasons. The depth of exploration and stuff to discover is truly unreal. I am 20 hours in and I am just scratching the surface.

I am admittedly taking my sweet ass time though and like everyone is mentioning. Even if you are going into the game trying to find everything and explore you will miss tons of shit. We are all missing tons of shit. It's amazing.
ER feels like my favorite part of Baldur's Gate 1: the first half where you explore all the overworld areas and some dungeons with minimal dialog. I've replayed BG2 once and BG1 several times. If BG2 had less city stuff, less dialog/quests I'd probably have replayed the entire series multiple times. It gets so exhausting sorting through all the quests when I really just want to get in and clear shit like you can in ER.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I'm at 900 hours in Witcher 3 right now. So you're saying I will enjoy this?

1646228691966.png

• 3WTF
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm at 900 hours in Witcher 3 right now. So you're saying I will enjoy this?

View attachment 401168
How did you get 900 hours out of Witcher 3 dog?

I would say yes, but if you need quest markers and stuff as like a checklist of what to do you might get annoyed. Game is of course much more combat focused than anything else and doesn't really explain anything to you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
just got hit with my second teleportation trap from a chest last night. ended up way up north in an area I didn't even realize was part of the map. it's way bigger than I even expected.
will avoid posting a spoiler, but there was a boss mob that wasn't really a boss mob that I'm not even sure I had to kill to be able to teleport out of the area. it had a ton of hp's and dropped nothing :/

EDIT: this game is outstanding

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
How did you get 900 hours out of Witcher 3 dog?

I would say yes, but if you need quest markers and stuff as like a checklist of what to do you might get annoyed. Game is of course much more combat focused than anything else and doesn't really explain anything to you.

LOL I left it paused overnight a few times, but I have probably at least 600 legit hours in it.

Started first game a few years back on EZ Mode because I wasnt sure if I was going to like it. Ended up loving it, doing every quest, getting every question mark. Started a NG+ last year just to see different storylines from different quest choices and to play at harder difficulty. Was going to just run through the main storyline, but ended up doing every single quest anyways. It was weird because I had forgotten so much about the quests, the game play, etc. since the first playthrough, it was like playing it for the first time all over again.

I'm at the last parts of the Blood and Wine expansion now, so ill probably be done some time this month.

Edit: Oh and I got sucked into Gwent on second playthrough.

Depends on why you liked the Witcher. This game doesn’t really have a real story or characters (like most From games)

Hmmm, I really liked Witcher for the storylines. I liked a lot of the quests, etc. But the other part is really liked was the open world exploration, I did every single question mark in first playthrough, including all the Skellige water ?s

Parts I didnt like about Witcher? I thought the combat was really basic and flat. None of the bosses were really any good other than the main WIld Hunt bosses. There was never a single boss where I was like "Oh shit! Thats a really inventive boss!"

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Hmmm, I really liked Witcher for the storylines. I liked a lot of the quests, etc. But the other part is really liked was the open world exploration, I did every single question mark in first playthrough, including all the Skellige water ?s

Parts I didnt like about Witcher? I thought the combat was really basic and flat. None of the bosses were really any good other than the main WIld Hunt bosses. There was never a single boss where I was like "Oh shit! Thats a really inventive boss!"
Yeah you will miss the story/character driven part of Witcher in this game, but everything else you liked I’d say (so far) is better in ER. And the combat is night and day different, it’s not at all easy or simple and the boss fights in From games have always been the best in the industry. And while there isn’t much story, there are still great settings.

There aren’t any mapped PoIs like in Witcher, so you have to actually explore and find shit. It’s kind of awesome to find a small opening in an easy to miss area and have it actually be a whole area.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
just got hit with my second teleportation trap from a chest last night. ended up way up north in an area I didn't even realize was part of the map. it's way bigger than I even expected.
will avoid posting a spoiler, but there was a boss mob that wasn't really a boss mob that I'm not even sure I had to kill to be able to teleport out of the area. it had a ton of hp's and dropped nothing :/

I found that too. I was doing zero damage to the guy so I figured I would just come back later. That map size though and then you realise there's an entire underworld as well.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

If you enjoyed playing Witcher 3 on a hard difficulty and liked exploring the world you'll probably enjoy ER. It's a fantastic game and just because you really enjoyed the quests in Witcher3 doesn't mean you'll miss them in another game. #diversityisstrength

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just looked up where the somber dragon stone area to get +10 weapons, they were literally down a path I didn't completely explore or missed. 100s of times I said I wonder what is down there then the area took me so far away I forgot about it...turns out that is where all the good stuff is. :)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
LOL I left it paused overnight a few times, but I have probably at least 600 legit hours in it.

Started first game a few years back on EZ Mode because I wasnt sure if I was going to like it. Ended up loving it, doing every quest, getting every question mark. Started a NG+ last year just to see different storylines from different quest choices and to play at harder difficulty. Was going to just run through the main storyline, but ended up doing every single quest anyways. It was weird because I had forgotten so much about the quests, the game play, etc. since the first playthrough, it was like playing it for the first time all over again.

I'm at the last parts of the Blood and Wine expansion now, so ill probably be done some time this month.

Edit: Oh and I got sucked into Gwent on second playthrough.

This game does not have the story element of Witcher. It barely has any friendly NPCs at all, no towns teaming with life. W3 is one of my favorite games due to the storylines and exploration. The combat was not very good. ER is surpassing it as favorite game but for completely different reasons.

Elden Ring takes the exploration and discovery piece of Witcher and turns it up to eleven. I thought Witchers map felt big and I don’t really know how these maps compare side by side but ER feels much bigger and expansive than W3. The views and the scale are just staggering. You continuously think you’ve figured out how big stuff is then a new area opens up and you’re just floored at what you’re looking at. And from what I’ve read that just continues all the way to the end of the game. I’m guessing I’m only a third through or so and it’s already hard to wrap my head around how they did this.

The story and dialogue is minimal and mysterious and it works. The aesthetic, sounds, music, and general atmosphere of the various biomes are all so well done.

I personally love that the map isn’t littered with ? like Witcher and other open world games. You are constantly discovering new shit and staring at the world, not a minimap.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Man alive - I'm at over 70 hours and still jacking around the cold area looking for treasures. I've also been playing around with builds (had like 5 larvals for some reason) and some of the builds are so broken it's insane. Magic being the big culprit here but you need 60 INT at a minimum to "break" the game so I'd say not a great way to start. Samurai swords as well particularly the late game bleed sword is just absurd (though all are really strong). The int/faith legendary sword as well is extremely strong and pretty early in the game.

What I'm really trying to find are the higher tier ghost grovewort for my mimic summon - he's already a beast at +8 but I can't freaking find the wort to max him out. I cheated last night to look up endings and I think I already fecked up the "good" ending.....

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I went into this promising myself I would stay completely blind (no web guides), but I've been slowly sneaking in and looking things up (like map locations and other basics that have been driving me nuts). I know I am missing tons of stuff as I progress, but I'm glad there will continue to be tons of stuff to explore and discover.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Did you get the treasure chest next to him? That was the real reward there.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Debating if I should immediately NG+ and see what’s different or run around doing everything I can...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yeah. I thought it was odd you could run over and loot the chest without actually killing him, and then he dropped nothing.
I tried fighting him once and laughed at how little damage he took. Came back and just snuck over there. I haven’t seen any chests be locked out from bosses unless they are locked behind a door.