Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
focus on strength or dex, but not both
I'd say 'Quality' builds are by far the most popular, especially for new players or a game that's just been released.

Also, I'd suggest the uchigatana for any dex build even if you don't start as a samurai. Not quite as easy to get as the flail, but it's not far from the start either. Unsheathe is insanely powerful, and it works exceptionally well for guard counters and charge attacks too. Plus it's got built-in bleed which is really handy for all the annoying fuckers that take vastly reduced damage from normal attacks.

The flail isn't bad, especially for clearing out the mine (Limgrave Tunnels) early on for a bunch of smithing stones, since you can one-shot them with a strike weapon while a slash/pierce one barely takes off 25%. I wouldn't waste any upgrades on it though.

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Just beat Margit. Most bosses up to now can be pseudo "cheesed" with stagger. It took 3 impaling thrust skill for Margit to get staggered, some bosses require 2. You can land another skill when they are getting up after the "backstab" during the stagger, so sometimes you can finish a boss fight really quickly by chaining staggers.

spronk

FPS noob
digital foundry talks about PC performance and PS5 performance

tl;dr PC perf isnt great, PS5 perf i dunno i kinda got lost what hes trying to say

copy & paste:
  • no setting for vsync
  • 60fps max
  • compared to PS5 perf
    • shadows on ps5 are very low / PC High
    • shadows jitter a lot on ps5
    • PC Max = PS5 quality
    • motion blur missing in perf mode
    • PS5 uses high setting effects
    • PS5 AO and grass is high/maximum
    • PS5 volume fox is high/maximum
    • ps5 GI is high/maximum
    • everything else is high/maximum (there's no noticeable difference between the two)
  • shader quality and detect settings seemingly broken?
  • no good way to get optimal performance due to stuttering issues due DX12 (the game dev can't rely on vendor drivers to fix stuttering)
  • any new thing (animation, effect, enemy, etc) causes stutter
  • any new update brings up stutter because shaders have to be recompiled
  • loading stutters as well
  • random stutter
  • camera cuts stutter that's pc exclusive
  • overpowered hardware and low settings can't avoid stutters
  • stutters are worse on lower end hardware, even causes the game to slow down
  • VRR can't save you from stutter
  • Alex doesn't recommend the PC version at the time
  • medium grass, volume fog, ssao, low ssr are all equivalent to PS4, only way to claw back performance on lower end
  • GTX 1080 or better
    • max settings
    • alter res for performance
  • 1070/580 or lower
    • medium settings
    • high shadows
    • high AA
  • optimized settings on 580/1060 gets sub-30fps, 5% higher on 1060
  • no ultra-wide support, you get black bars

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Stormveil is confusing AF between all the outside ledges, inside roofs, elevators, bridges
collapsing ledges jesuswtf
. Feels like I’m missing a ton here.

Side question that may or may not be considered a spoiler:

I redid the Margit fight once to make sure Rogier survived bc in previous Souls there were lore / npc unlocks for that. Then met him in the Church inside. That still a thing or a coincidence?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Where can I pick up more astrologer spells? I'm pretty much playing a Gandalf guy and I'm still stuck with the two starting spells.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Where can I pick up more astrologer spells? I'm pretty much playing a Gandalf guy and I'm still stuck with the two starting spells.
Waypoint Ruins. East side of the lake, small ruins with a bunch of poison flowers just off the road.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Stormveil is confusing AF between all the outside ledges, inside roofs, elevators, bridges
collapsing ledges jesuswtf
. Feels like I’m missing a ton here.

Side question that may or may not be considered a spoiler:

I redid the Margit fight once to make sure Rogier survived bc in previous Souls there were lore / npc unlocks for that. Then met him in the Church inside. That still a thing or a coincidence?

I think he died in my kill but was still in RTH later.

Ported to Bestial Sanctuary, turned around, peed a little.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
So i'm doing ye olde strength build. maces right now but who knows.

i put 25 points total into strength, 10 dex. the damage on my mace stopped going up. but it still will go up with a club, or shield am i running into some kind of scaling cap? or overall damage cap? the damage won't go up from a point in strength OR dex.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What perma kills skeletons in this? Used to be any weapon with faith/holy damage would, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, or at least doesn't work using the faith-based ashes I have?

Is upgrading summons/spells locked behind some specific checkpoint I've yet to hit?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
What perma kills skeletons in this? Used to be any weapon with faith/holy damage would, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, or at least doesn't work using the faith-based ashes I have?

Is upgrading summons/spells locked behind some specific checkpoint I've yet to hit?
Hit them when they down.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The amount of +spell damage stuff I have found is getting crazy. Just found a mask that give like +25 arcane at the cost of physical damage.
Going strong, location and armor spoiler:
1645937596164.png

Last edited:

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So I sat down to play and realized I only had the vaguest idea about the classes; I have been watching a ton of videos about the game and the lore. So I started watching videos about classes and stats...

Fast forward 3 hours. Paralysis by analysis. I just watched a 45 min long video by a guy that determined that the Vagabond was the best starting class for almost anything except the pure casters because of the stat distribution. But anyone can really do anything? I still have no idea what I want to do in the game, although I think I want to play a caster but its a Brave New World. I think I am just going to play and fuck up now.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The skeletal militiamen ash is pretty fun. If they get knocked down, get the enemy's attention and they'll get back up like regular skeletons. I actually used them for the Margit fight and they distract him quite a bit enough for me and the sorcerer npc to get hits in. The wolf one just gets beat up a lot.

Their rib cage will glow when they're down, think of it like a lich's phylactery and attack it. They stop coming back when its gone.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users