Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Where are people going after Raya Lucaria? I went to Caelid and uhh

Radahn seems WAY beyond me atm. Level 55 and most everything in South Caelid has been fine but that boss seems like I need another 20 levels for. Great spectacle fight but seems a bit overtuned to me.

Maybe hit up Altus for a while? Not sure how much tougher that is in comparison to Caelid
That's going to be really tough at that lvl tbh - I'd definitely pop up North of Raya first like Altus and then up to Volcano manor or whatever.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How does parrying work in this game? I’ve been slamming my head against crucible knight for a while and decided to try to parry his slower attacks. Most of the time It looks like my timing is correct, but my parrys won’t break his stance or stagger him at all like I’ve seen happen in videos of people doing parry-only boss fights. He begins to swing, I parry, audio cue goes off, but I still get hit with damage but for only a fraction of the amount I would normally. I must be missing something.
If I going all-in on parry vs. a particular boss, I'd get a buckler. Buckler Parry is its own skill, and it's much more forgiving in the timing.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Where are people going after Raya Lucaria? I went to Caelid and uhh

Radahn seems WAY beyond me atm. Level 55 and most everything in South Caelid has been fine but that boss seems like I need another 20 levels for. Great spectacle fight but seems a bit overtuned to me.

Maybe hit up Altus for a while? Not sure how much tougher that is in comparison to Caelid

Guessing you're not summoning? I usually never do for boss fights but since there were so many summon signs inside I figured it was just a mechanic for him, but with literally infinite summons he was a joke and kinda regret it now

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It seems to me they used him for name recognition only to help sales. Honestly I can't see his footprint on this game at all. The world building and in-game story clues don't seem that much different from past Dark Souls games. He probably laid down just the basic outline and foundation, but the Elden Ring lore reminds me more of previous FROM games than something Martin has written in the past.
From what the director has said and other reports, it seems like Martin gave the general "idea" behind the Elden Ring, shattering, etc. and From took it from there. They didn't ask him for more because they didn't want it getting in the way of the game. In essence, they didn't want gameplay to get fucked because it had to fit/follow a certain "story" element.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
What the fuck, Rune Arc buff is permanent until you die? God, I've been running around with this faggot Godrick rune doing nothing the whole time when I could have had a massive stat buff? I was saving those for boss fights I felt I needed them for or something.

But yeah, that's the kind of death penalty I can get behind. Hollowing is gay, Great Runes are great design (if they had a clearer explanation).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Khane Khane

If you parry in ER correctly there will be red sparks and it will stagger the enemy. If you miss the timing the above happens.

Right, that's the way it works. But what's the "tell" on what is even able to be parried vs what is not?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Right, that's the way it works. But what's the "tell" on what is even able to be parried vs what is not?
Any physical attack that isn't a piercing or thrust type strike as far as I can tell. Overhead or side swings are ideal. But the thrust will go right through it. Magical/lightning looking attacks also can't be.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I jumped down with a bunch of souls, and then the only thing I got was that faith weapon, then promptly died. Needless to say I was salty as fuck that I lost those souls for no reason since I'm not a faith build really.

That NPC is a fucker, too. Tried to kill him ~10 times to get my souls back but eventually gave up. That's the one thing this game is missing, homeward bones. There's no way to extricate your souls from a boss area.
i want to say you can die hugging the door. and remain there a while (before dying) and then you can grab them through the door. i did it once or twice, but...maybe it's a bug.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Never really learned to parry in these, but I still respect players that are good at it.

Unlike those pussy magic, 1h weapon, and non-parry shield users who fill me with nothing but disgust

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I find parry really satisfying. But it learning to parry enemies proficiently requires a lot more deaths than just dodge rolling to victory. I do admit that lol.

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
How does parrying work in this game? I’ve been slamming my head against crucible knight for a while and decided to try to parry his slower attacks. Most of the time It looks like my timing is correct, but my parrys won’t break his stance or stagger him at all like I’ve seen happen in videos of people doing parry-only boss fights. He begins to swing, I parry, audio cue goes off, but I still get hit with damage but for only a fraction of the amount I would normally. I must be missing something.
fight of crucible knight:You can parry most of his atks, even the 2h swing. As you can tell, I only try to parry one or two selected atks, cause it takes some time to get used to the timing. Even those I miss quite a few in the video: no stagger and i take dmg.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I just can’t fuckin do parry very well in any game. I can dodge so the monster pixels don’t touch my pixels but timing our pixel touching perfectly is beyond me unless it’s really forgiving.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
can you pump the parry like how you can sword dance in sekero?

in sekero, you could just rapidly hit the parry button any time you get attacked. and it would work (provided it can be parried.). you were forced to learn to parry to beat a boss or mini boss or two. and after a while you realize it's laughably easy. just pump the button when you need to parry and can't dodge.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Me at work waiting impatiently until I can go home and play Elden Ring more:

FoHERthread.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Any physical attack that isn't a piercing or thrust type strike as far as I can tell. Overhead or side swings are ideal. But the thrust will go right through it. Magical/lightning looking attacks also can't be.

Right. You don't really know without an inordinate amount of trial an error.... on anything and everything you fight.

I like the lack of handholding in these games, but some things may as well not even be mechanics if they are enemy specific AND don't have any real in game tells.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can parry most of his atks, even the 2h swing. As you can tell, I only try to parry one or two selected atks, cause it takes some time to get used to the timing. Even those I miss quite a few in the video: no stagger and i take dmg.

Looks like you have to time the parry so early. Are you hitting L2 as soon as you see his arm raise?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Guessing you're not summoning? I usually never do for boss fights but since there were so many summon signs inside I figured it was just a mechanic for him, but with literally infinite summons he was a joke and kinda regret it now

Yeah I was using the summons but is it really infinite? I was only able to resummon the same NPCs twice before it wouldn't let me. That and I was just having trouble meleeing him period; just rides around all over the place and his attacks hit huge range and for half my health(33 vigor).

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Looks like you have to time the parry so early. Are you hitting L2 as soon as you see his arm raise?
Almost I think, not 100% sure, I think right when the swing starts, but it's gonna vary depending on swing speed. One thing is certain, all my missed parries were due to them being too late rather than too soon.

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's what is nice about Buckler Parry, you can be much slower to react to the swing because its animation is much faster and you'll still land it.