Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The thing that this game really needs is statistics on how many times you die to each boss
The only thing I want to know is how many total souls I’ve lost during corpse runs by blindly running into the elevator pit instead of pulling the lever first.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I never had much trouble with Kalameet considering how often I see him mentioned like this. His breath attacks in particular leave him wide open for melee damage.

Malenia is definitely the fight I had the most trouble with in ER, followed by Radahn. I'd put it up there with Orphan for sure.

Top five hardest fights in the series for me:
5. Manus (Souls 1)
4. Lud and Zallen (Souls 2, mainly because of the run back)
3. Malenia (Elden Ring)
2. Fume Knight (Souls 2)
1. Orphan (Bloodborne)

Interesting to note that all of these are DLC fights (except Malenia, who seems like she was supposed to be a DLC fight)
I don’t know what it was about Kalameet but I just got rocked by him over and over. He was pretty fast for a dragon boss and just did a disgusting amount of damage. I ended up just farming some levels to wear Havel’s armor without needing to fatroll and just tanked him to the face.

I completely forgot about Fume Knight too. That dude can go get fucked.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
She’s a cunt, black knife is great against her if you want to pseudo cheese
I had to rely on some jolly cooperation. But I (we) did it. I just couldn't beat her solo. But then I did get better in the fight as well so maybe next time. That swan dive with rot is brutal. Was actually a pretty fun fight with a friend.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Started thinking about the grand overarching lore of the game and how it maybe relates to the Souls series. Marika doesn’t seem to be the first god as it’s mentioned that the dragons ruled before her. Once you start exploring the underground you find other pre-Lydell civilizations buried on-top of each other with one being a city who’s name has been lost to time after thousands of years and being pushed down to the bottom of the tree roots. Then you have the crumbling city that’s been shat out into some nameless hell-void off the map.

The whole thing reminded me of The Forgotten City where your just exploring various civilizations stacked on top of each other once their age has passed and been forgotten.

Everything that happens seems to cyclical like Dark Souls where one grand gesture breaks the ring and everything is buried in ash until it’s repaired and the bullshit starts all over again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is there a way to tell what level an enemy is that you’re fighting? I’m like 2 hours in, I’ve found no upgrades, using same axe I started with, found one shitty sword that i can’t even use. I have no idea where to go or what to do, or where I can actually get better gear , or how to play something else because I don’t want to do melee in this game.

Melee Fighting is retarded in this game, half the time you just swing into the ether, the camera is wonky and doesn’t catch up to my movement, I like to play 10 feet from my tv and there’s a noticeable lag on Bluetooth with my controller which makes parrying nigh impossible and dodging a pita. So id love a bow or some spells but there’s no fucking indicator of how to get those or when.

every video I see people on a horse. I’d love to get a horse. I see a couple enemies on horse back, assume I have to kill them to get it? Get totally buttraped by them, don’t even think I got any damage in, just staggered staggered dead.

Come into a camp of torch wielding dorks who I mostly one shot. Then randomly just in the middle of them is some helmet wearing asshole with a tower shield and spear I can’t even get a hit in on him. Get destroyed, come back and the whole camp is respawned? Fuck that.

The world is gorgeous and I’d love the chance to explore it. Outside of a god mode cheat I don’t see myself playing this much, I’m not a fan of games where you feel zero progress after 1-2 hours. Shame on me as I basically never played souls games I shoulda known this was strictly for fanboys
It's a very steep learning curve, I went though the same thing. I'm in midgame now and feeling comfortable.

The direction indicators on the grace points take you to the first major boss and dungeon immediatley, you need to ignore it and explore the map in Limgrave to level up. Mark on the map any dungeons you find (they have grace points anyway) or outdoor enemy encampments you can't do. You can go south across the bridge to a slightly higher level Limgrave area.

Don't be afraid to google a build and where to get some starting items, put your points into getting more health, to upgrade damage you need to find smithing stones to upgrade your weapon.

Eventually you'll start to snowball and be able to tackle content more effectivly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
it's good that they are introducing easy mode for casuals (like me)

• 1Pathetic

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are people going mad perma summoning outside Mogh knowing/not knowing the fight. Its a 50/50 on summons if you dont have 'that' item in hand cause he just sucks the hp of peeps that dont know the fight.
So crazy...

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Killed Malenia, man that was rough (as melee). Went to fight Alecto right after.
Well since then, everything else just seems super easy/slow :emoji_laughing:

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is there a way to tell what level an enemy is that you’re fighting? I’m like 2 hours in, I’ve found no upgrades, using same axe I started with, found one shitty sword that i can’t even use. I have no idea where to go or what to do, or where I can actually get better gear , or how to play something else because I don’t want to do melee in this game.

Melee Fighting is retarded in this game, half the time you just swing into the ether, the camera is wonky and doesn’t catch up to my movement, I like to play 10 feet from my tv and there’s a noticeable lag on Bluetooth with my controller which makes parrying nigh impossible and dodging a pita. So id love a bow or some spells but there’s no fucking indicator of how to get those or when.

every video I see people on a horse. I’d love to get a horse. I see a couple enemies on horse back, assume I have to kill them to get it? Get totally buttraped by them, don’t even think I got any damage in, just staggered staggered dead.

Come into a camp of torch wielding dorks who I mostly one shot. Then randomly just in the middle of them is some helmet wearing asshole with a tower shield and spear I can’t even get a hit in on him. Get destroyed, come back and the whole camp is respawned? Fuck that.

The world is gorgeous and I’d love the chance to explore it. Outside of a god mode cheat I don’t see myself playing this much, I’m not a fan of games where you feel zero progress after 1-2 hours. Shame on me as I basically never played souls games I shoulda known this was strictly for fanboys
This reminds me of when I played my first souls game (Bloodborne) and got my shit pushed in for like 12 straight hours in the starting area. Eventually I figured it out and loved it.

Keep on trucking fam.

Also, git gud fgt.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Started thinking about the grand overarching lore of the game and how it maybe relates to the Souls series. Marika doesn’t seem to be the first god as it’s mentioned that the dragons ruled before her. Once you start exploring the underground you find other pre-Lydell civilizations buried on-top of each other with one being a city who’s name has been lost to time after thousands of years and being pushed down to the bottom of the tree roots. Then you have the crumbling city that’s been shat out into some nameless hell-void off the map.

The whole thing reminded me of The Forgotten City where your just exploring various civilizations stacked on top of each other once their age has passed and been forgotten.

Everything that happens seems to cyclical like Dark Souls where one grand gesture breaks the ring and everything is buried in ash until it’s repaired and the bullshit starts all over again.
That was my thought too, especially in Crumbling Farum Azula which clearly is the dragon's civilization and has all these long-dead dragonoid zombies.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This reminds me of when I played my first souls game (Bloodborne) and got my shit pushed in for like 12 straight hours in the starting area. Eventually I figured it out and loved it.

Keep on trucking fam.

Also, git gud fgt.

This was my first experience but I never made it past the sucking part.

This is looking like it's my next purchase though (over Horizon and GT7) so I'm hoping I don't suck as hard.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This is looking like it's my next purchase though (over Horizon and GT7) so I'm hoping I don't suck as hard.
One must take this wisdom to heart:

1647602937742.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

This one has a lot more options to practice on in the beginning. Previous games you basically had to learn the first mobs or quit.

• 2Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I quit the first dark souls for like 6 months because of capra demon

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

get gud, frigate

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Seriously though I do feel your pain. I've told the story a few times on here of how I nearly gave up on Bloodborne on day one, then it became my game of the decade a week later. I've watched a lot of people tap out on Fromsoft games and I know a lot of them will be super-into these games if they break through that initial phase of "none of this works for me"

I went through a similar thing a couple times now with Returnal. I've never gotten past the first boss, and the game just doesn't make much sense to me, and I mostly just die of HP attrition over and over without feeling like I'm getting anywhere. But I really like the setting and know I'd love Returnal if I could make any goddamn progress.

End of the day it's just a matter of focusing on the game until you break through. Doing some research helps a ton as well. Yeah I don't like to have to research a game just to comprehend it, but a little research at the beginning can make everything after that go a lot smoother.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The thing that this game really needs is statistics on how many times you die to each boss

For me, I'm gonna guess that I had the most deaths on Starscourge Radahn. Fire Giant is probably 2nd place. The Fallingstar Beast in the mines, Godrick in Stormveil, Draconic Tree Sentinel, Margit, and Malenia also all have a bunch of deaths. I one or two shotted most of the other fights in the game. A lot of that is because some of the rougher twin boss type fights I missed until I was way overleveled for them.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
For me, I'm gonna guess that I had the most deaths on Starscourge Radahn. Fire Giant is probably 2nd place. The Fallingstar Beast in the mines, Godrick in Stormveil, Draconic Tree Sentinel, Margit, and Malenia also all have a bunch of deaths. I one or two shotted most of the other fights in the game. A lot of that is because some of the rougher twin boss type fights I missed until I was way overleveled for them.
I easily died the most to the dual abductors in volcano manor. Was like level 45 and more or less pure sorcery build at that point. Summons died instantly and you didn’t really even have time to summon anyways, and the room is tiny as fuck with range and charging attacks constantly. Fuck those guys.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think it was full grown fallingstar beast for me. I refused to do that fight mounted and was only like level 60 when I did it. Died a lot

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I died a shit ton to Godrick because I was way underleveled and undergeared. Once I got him down and was able to equip the gold halberd, going back and helping others was a way to git gud and now he is a chump. Hardest part for me in this game has been getting used to the fucking move cancels and feints all over the place. That and realizing I can jump attack and that its always better than a regular ground attack.

DS2 had a total deaths counter in the main hub and it was hilarious when the death count exceeded the human population of earth at one point. Kind of wish that existed here. Hell, put it as a message next to every summoning pool spike outside each boss.

Also I think Bird farm s fine to stay as it is, because it would kill the replay desire of a lot of people to remove it and its not exactly super easy to get to in the first place, even if you know its there. Without it, AE explosion mage spam becomes the only viable rune farm, which leaves mele even more in the dust. And even being level one zillion won't help the scrubs get past the harder fights. Plenty of noobs who abused the dragon breath glitch in DS1 still could not get past four kings.

• 1Like