Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Just got Malenia down to like 5% health in 2nd phase and died. If I hear "I am Malenia, Blade of Miquella" one more time...

Pin by Vince Vega on born weird | American psycho quotes, American psycho,  Psycho quotes

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
On my last 2 playthroughs I did a bunch of assisting people with malenia. Its funny how so many people just die when they get targeted by her waterfowl dance and the p2 transition. I was able to carry quite a few people just by spamming swarm of flies and reliably dodging waterfowl and that thing where she goes in her flower

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
On my last 2 playthroughs I did a bunch of assisting people with malenia. Its funny how so many people just die when they get targeted by her waterfowl dance and the p2 transition. I was able to carry quite a few people just by spamming swarm of flies and reliably dodging waterfowl and that thing where she goes in her flower

The problem with Waterfowl Dance is twofold:

1.) The first flurry is the most damaging and also the hardest to dodge since she can start it when you are quite close or (often in my case) mid jump or swing. It is uninterruptable, you have to be moving away from her right when she starts or it is going to close distance and hit you, AND if she catches you with it there is no way to roll in the middle to mitigate some of the swings.

2.) The second and (more importantly) the third jump usually move the perspective such that the exact moment you dodge the camera moves and your roll executes the wrong way, usually into the attack instead of away from it.

The lifesteal on her attacks means now any number of these hitting you and *not* killing you resets her back above 60-70% health and now you can expect 2+ more Waterfoul Dances for the rest of the phase. It is just a circlejerk of madness.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh yeah I get it. Its really easy to dodge when you're ranging her which i was able to do on my last 2 chars. My first playthrough was samurai and didn't have any good range to use and there were lots of times when I'd be attacking her and would queue up an extra attack when I didn't mean to cause i was spamming attack as she was charging waterfowl and it was basically a "guess ill die" moment. I saw some pure melee people using that shadow step thing to help with getting away which seemed to work pretty well

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The problem with Waterfowl Dance is twofold:

1.) The first flurry is the most damaging and also the hardest to dodge since she can start it when you are quite close or (often in my case) mid jump or swing. It is uninterruptable, you have to be moving away from her right when she starts or it is going to close distance and hit you, AND if she catches you with it there is no way to roll in the middle to mitigate some of the swings.

2.) The second and (more importantly) the third jump usually move the perspective such that the exact moment you dodge the camera moves and your roll executes the wrong way, usually into the attack instead of away from it.

The lifesteal on her attacks means now any number of these hitting you and *not* killing you resets her back above 60-70% health and now you can expect 2+ more Waterfoul Dances for the rest of the phase. It is just a circlejerk of madness.

Yeah the lifesteal could maybe be tuned down just a tad. 20% reduction or so, tops. She’s optional though, so I don’t mind that she’s a total pain. Midir is a dick, the dude at the bottom of DS1 dlc is a dick... I think these games should have asskicker bosses.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finished this morning. I played the whole game as a STR Colossal 2 hander only and it worked exceedingly well.... up until Haligtree. After pounding my head against Melania for 2 1/2 days and over 50 attempts I broke down and used my first spirit summoning (Mimic) and beat her first try. The rest of the game went like this: Maliketh - 3 shot, Plaxiduces - 2 shot, Godfrey - 1 shot, Elden Beast - 2 shot. She was the hardest boss and it wasn't even remotely close.
The key is to powerstance 2 colossal weapons and use jumping L1 attacks. Three hits and she stance breaks. I was at her two days with no luck. Added another hammer and the damage increase was so great it made all the difference. Got her in about ten attempts after I made that change.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The key is to powerstance 2 colossal weapons and use jumping L1 attacks. Three hits and she stance breaks. I was at her two days with no luck. Added another hammer and the damage increase was so great it made all the difference. Got her in about ten attempts after I made that change.
That has kind of been my strat with two great swords. If I can stagger her a couple times in p1 and keep her down to one anime attack I can usually get her to 50% or so in p2. I’ve thought about trying to swap a shield in for anime attack but idk if I can swap and block properly, my brain doesn’t seem to work well under stress of a boss hovering over me building up an attack for three seconds.

I agree with not minding she’s such a bitch. She’s optional, I like the optional challenge bosses. Good bragging rights and accomplishments for people.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
I ended up beating her with the help of two people, one had flies, one was just stunning her a whole bunch with dragon's breath attacks, and I was poking at her with a bleed/frost spear. Melted her phase 1 and then pretty much the same in phase 2.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Or for people to talk about how other, better players beat it for them. Whatever floats your boat ya know.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Worf

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Forgot to mention that along with the power stances colossal weapons, bloodhound step weapon ash was pretty key as well. Big, slow weapons are strong when you have good mobility. As long as I didn’t get stuck directly under her at the start of the waterfowl dance, I could pretty easily bloodhound step out of/away from her.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
How fast has everyone finished the game, I'm in the lake of rot right now and I feel like everyone is passing me up lol

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
How fast has everyone finished the game, I'm in the lake of rot right now and I feel like everyone is passing me up lol
I just finished the Academy. I don't know how many hours I've got sunk into to the game, probably 60 to 80, but I've been spending most of it just exploring and doing the little catacombs and what have you. I'm nowhere close to being done with it though.

I'm not in a rush today and I'm just sitting here enjoying it. Definitely feels like I've overleveled certain areas but I suck at these types of games so whatever.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I just finished the Academy. I don't know how many hours I've got sunk into to the game, probably 60 to 80, but I've been spending most of it just exploring and doing the little catacombs and what have you. I'm nowhere close to being done with it though.

I'm not in a rush today and I'm just sitting here enjoying it. Definitely feels like I've overleveled certain areas but I suck at these types of games so whatever.

It is just a gigantic game, and most of the fun is seeing something and trying to get to it instead of just having a fucking waypoint and not bothering to stop on the way. It was truly a joy to complete.

• 2Like

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
final time was roughly 142 hours, you can easily spend a ton of time in the world just riding around and looking for caves and ruins and running into the occasional boss.....I wonder how much of my game time was spent running back to retrieve dropped runes cause of silly deaths....never look away while riding around on torrent.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider

right, I get some where get stuck and continue after or a day. I been busy

• 1Solidarity

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't really mind dying to a boss a million times as long as I respawn right outside what gets me is of I have to run back over and over. Those 1 min runs add up.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It is just a gigantic game, and most of the fun is seeing something and trying to get to it instead of just having a fucking waypoint and not bothering to stop on the way. It was truly a joy to complete.
That's exactly it. I think the last time I experienced something like this within a game was when fallout 3 came out. Yeah I was at the greatest game probably not but the sheer sense of exploration was what made it such a fun and novel experience. This game definitely has that in spades.

I'm just putzing my way around looking for interesting places to go and explore and I if I get my ass handed to me by a boss, I'll write it down on a notepad and then go back there at some point and try to kick its ass.

That's the biggest problem I'm having is just lack of some sort of journal to keep track of everything that I found and I'm currently trying to explore. I don't mind the lack of hand holding but God dammit it is frustrating just trying to remember shit, or have I cleared out this mini dungeon at some point.

• 1Solidarity

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Been avoiding this thread because I don't want to get spoiled as I take my slow ass time, but i've seen a few patches come and go now and i'm still getting some stuttering on PC. I'm sure this has already been discussed here (sorry!), but any legit fixes yet?