Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I’m a dex/arcane build. I’ve been dual wielding katanas for most of the game (RoB and Moonveil currently) and rolling everywhere to dodge. I’m stuck on Elden Beast. Should I swap out the moonveil for a shield or is that kind of pointless in the EB fight?

I've never seen anyone block on that one. Pure phys, preferably strike is the weakness on Rada/EB

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
For as good as the game is they really regressed with abilities queueing for an absurdly long time

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
For as good as the game is they really regressed with abilities queueing for an absurdly long time
And it feels fucking random too.

I'll mash dodge while being hit with a mechanic and come out of it with my character standing there while I mash it some more.

OR

I'll hit it once while miss timing the mechanic, do nothing, and then get queued into that missed dodge and then eat another delayed attack.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've never seen anyone block on that one. Pure phys, preferably strike is the weakness on Rada/EB

Tell Elden Beast to block that

1651123873354.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if it's intentional to get you to stop button spamming, i dunno. I felt like concentrated incompetence watching my guy swing a colossal sword five seconds after i started spamming the roll button tho.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Pretty noobish at the game. Started Vagabond and just beat Rennala. Entire Raya just super absurd, lol. I'm using shield and board - Zweihander and a blue crest knight shield. I still have all the basic armor. I have not used any spirit ashes (never really knew how to use them) nor incantations. Not entirely sure where to go - I have just been exploring. Don't even know where to get better armor. -.-

Is S&B pointless? Should I go other specs now that I can actually respec? My attacks are soooo slow.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty noobish at the game. Started Vagabond and just beat Rennala. Entire Raya just super absurd, lol. I'm using shield and board - Zweihander and a blue crest knight shield. I still have all the basic armor. I have not used any spirit ashes (never really knew how to use them) nor incantations. Not entirely sure where to go - I have just been exploring. Don't even know where to get better armor. -.-

Is S&B pointless? Should I go other specs now that I can actually respec? My attacks are soooo slow.
Try spear and shield, can poke while blocking. Get a greatshield with high guard boost.

• 2Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider

I feel like shields worked really well until around mid-game, and then started holding me back. Granted, I also didnt have a greatshield with a ton of guard boost either, so I'd run out of stamina and get killed pretty quickly, that's why I ended up going 2-handed with the buckler on standby.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
This game allows you to explore options earlier on, but as you get towards the later half of the game, you start to realize you need to figure out a specialization in order to really take enemies down. Its a bit like tabletop RPGs where you might play a fighter or mage earlier on, but then move into specialties like paladin or necromancer.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Try spear and shield, can poke while blocking. Get a greatshield with high guard boost.
This. And the area he is in has the Jellyfish Shield which is pretty good with a nice buff.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I feel like shields worked really well until around mid-game, and then started holding me back. Granted, I also didnt have a greatshield with a ton of guard boost either, so I'd run out of stamina and get killed pretty quickly, that's why I ended up going 2-handed with the buckler on standby.
It depends on guard value, and unfortunately the shields that are decent all require massive STR investment. BUT..... there are a fair number of enemies late game that you can still reliably Guard Counter for big damage when trash clearing (e.g. a lot of the Haligtree Knights) and some areas that navigating is easier with a shield up, instead of taking risky rolls. There are also a lot of low stamina swing cost weapons with great damage that you can turrtle poke with (especially with something like the Tree Spear). But shields are only really good in PvE, so its probably better to powerstance or two hand at some point to learn that playstyle.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider

Can also equip a staff in offhand to 'enchant' your primary with magic / frost with pretty low INT requirements. Just toggle back to the shield before you engage and you'll notice a huge difference in hits. I think I used the opening area greatsword like this as primary well into the 40s.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jellyfish shield has terrible guard boost though, worse than most kite shields, it's only good to swap in for the buff. You can farm a good great shield from the mausoleum knight just outside of the black knife catacombs that also gives crazy good immunity/robustness

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

It's fun doing the Flayed Men (? GoT) shield advance thing lol.

Prior to the nerf of shield talisman on the mega great shields, I had a few guys where I literally couldn't break their guard even with jump attacks and axe talisman or w.e it was that drains more Stam. So that change was needed but they didn't do what other dev shops do and just sloppily nerf it overboard into oblivion, they truly iterated over it, examined the feedback and correctly (I think so far in playing) balanced it. Just amazing. I wanna shake their hands.

• 1Solidarity

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
133 hours later I finally beat the game. Have a few bosses and items I missed, but not bad for a first play through. Is it just me or was the story a bit confusing? Half the time I didn’t know why I was killing a boss or what their real significance was other than collecting great runes (which I never ended up using with rune arcs or buying their gear from the finger lady). 99% of the armor and weapon drops I didn’t even use. Felt like I was playing just to explore and discover things, which was thoroughly enjoyable. What a masterpiece of a game. I enjoyed just about every moment of the journey.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
133 hours later I finally beat the game. Have a few bosses and items I missed, but not bad for a first play through. Is it just me or was the story a bit confusing? Half the time I didn’t know why I was killing a boss or what their real significance was other than collecting great runes (which I never ended up using with rune arcs or buying their gear from the finger lady). 99% of the armor and weapon drops I didn’t even use. Felt like I was playing just to explore and discover things, which was thoroughly enjoyable. What a masterpiece of a game. I enjoyed just about every moment of the journey.

Story comes together after a couple play throughs. There's a few good lore videos too that piece a few things together. Armor can be mostly fluff but there's a lot of good weapons, spells, and abilities to build around for another play through.

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Story comes together after a couple play throughs. There's a few good lore videos too that piece a few things together. Armor can be mostly fluff but there's a lot of good weapons, spells, and abilities to build around for another play through.
Does NG+ reveal more story tidbits or do you just mean seeing the exact same dialogue and whatnot a second time will make it easier to follow?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Most of the lore in these games comes from reading item descriptions and piecing shit together, there are also a lot of visual clues throughout the game that can be hard to pick up on. Why do the beastmen guys all have legendary weapons, why do the merchants all use frenzy flame attacks, etc, etc. It’s pretty hard to get a good idea of what’s going on in their games. There are entire communities that theorize and piece shit together over months and years after release. Don’t feel bad about being confused.

Watch some lore videos and you’ll see what I mean, there is just a massive amount of minute details that are easy to miss.

This one is good and goes into a lot of stuff that was crowd sourced info put together…and last week he put out another one that corrected some things from this one based on more crowd sourced info. Thousands of people are trying to piece things together and can’t come to a consensus on some things because it’s all so open ended and cryptic.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users