Electronic Dance Music

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
know that this genre is not everyone's favourite but stil,here is some Electronic Hardcore:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
know that this genre is not everyone's favourite but stil,here is some Electronic Hardcore:
Err the threads called "Electronic Dance Music" and this post is a prime example of what other people are complaining about in another thread, namely idiots posting youtube videos that have nothing to do with EDM. I cant even bring myself to click the abortions you just posted. EDM itself is a stupid Americanism and a term that nobody this side of the Atlantic takes seriously, and this post shows why it's so stupid. Note, just because something was produced electronically does not make it "EDM". EDM = club music, plain and simple

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Err the threads called "Electronic Dance Music" and this post is a prime example of what other people are complaining about in another thread, namely idiots posting youtube videos that have nothing to do with EDM. I cant even bring myself to click the abortions you just posted. EDM itself is a stupid Americanism and a term that nobody this side of the Atlantic takes seriously, and this post shows why it's so stupid. Note, just because something was produced electronically does not make it "EDM". EDM = club music, plain and simple
1st i'm not american,i'm from this side of the Atlantic.
2nd i thought this was the proper topic and i think we have different meanings of Electronic Dance Music
3rd love house,techno music,not only the abortions we like to call

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Mat Zo Essential Mix. One of the best EDM producers right now. Guy is fucking amazing.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also I've seen people dance to hardcore before, I fail to see how it doesn't count as "dance" music just because you don't find it appealing to dance to doesn't mean someone else can't.

I <3 the Anjunabeats volumes that Above & Beyond released #6 is without a doubt one of the best though.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
lolwut

I am not a fan of hardcore/hardstyle genres of music, but it definitely qualifies as dance music. A LOT more than shitty ass dubstep does.

Here is some Q-Dance to educate yourself.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I managed to bring myself to listen to about 2 seconds of that "electronic hardcore shit"...if your definition of dancing is standing in a moshpit cutting yourself whilst listening to that shit then yeah I guess it qualifies as EDM.

Thinking something is "EDM" just because it is electronic and people can dance to it is retarded, it's like saying Baseball and Basketball are the same because they both involve round objects. The EDM label refers to a specific scene, simplifying massively here but if you're not likely to hear it played in Fabric, Ibiza, on an Essential Mix or read about it in Mixmag then it's not EDM

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I managed to bring myself to listen to about 2 seconds of that "electronic hardcore shit"...if your definition of dancing is standing in a moshpit cutting yourself whilst listening to that shit then yeah I guess it qualifies as EDM.

Thinking something is "EDM" just because it is electronic and people can dance to it is retarded, it's like saying Baseball and Basketball are the same because they both involve round objects. The EDM label refers to a specific scene, simplifying massively here but if you're not likely to hear it played in Fabric, Ibiza, on an Essential Mix or read about it in Mixmag then it's not EDM
That is your subjective opinion. Thunderdome was one of the longest running festivals and they played hardcore. You can make a comparison of Baseball and Basketball, they fall under the umbrella of "Sports". "EDM" is a very huge umbrella that covers a lot of styles.

But then again, you seem to be getting your info from Mixmag...

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
if your definition of dancing is standing in a moshpit cutting yourself whilst listening to that shit then yeah I guess it qualifies as EDM.
Stopped taking any of his posts seriously after this line, whatever skewed stereotyped view you have of those genres obviously clouds your ability to make a valid argument outside of spouting garbage like that. If Mixmag is the end all be all of electronic music information and definition then god help us all because that magazine is shit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Stopped taking any of his posts seriously after this line, whatever skewed stereotyped view you have of those genres obviously clouds your ability to make a valid argument outside of spouting garbage like that. If Mixmag is the end all be all of electronic music information and definition then god help us all because that magazine is shit.
yeah whatever, feel free to go ahead and list the "EDM" artists you've seen in the last 5 years and I guarantee my list will be a) bigger b) more credible

My point is that "EDM" as a label is only a relatively recent creation, despite Electronic Dance Music being 30+ years old. The label EDM was born thanks to the rise in popularity of a specific number and style of Electronic Dance Music artists. You cannot then take the EDM label and retroactively apply it to every form of Electronic Dance Music or Electronic Artist since the dawn of time, that's not how it works.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
yeah whatever, feel free to go ahead and list the "EDM" artists you've seen in the last 5 years and I guarantee my list will be a) bigger b) more credible

My point is that "EDM" as a label is only a relatively recent creation, despite Electronic Dance Music being 30+ years old. The label EDM was born thanks to the rise in popularity of a specific number and style of Electronic Dance Music artists. You cannot then take the EDM label and retroactively apply it to every form of Electronic Dance Music or Electronic Artist since the dawn of time, that's not how it works.
You started to have a good point, but then lost it. You yourself said "EDM" = Club Music. Your list may be long, but as far as more credible, that is open to interpretation. One could very easily apply "EDM" retroactively as most if all of those genres and sub-genres contribute to what you call "EDM" today. Labeling genres and these arguments about what they are or are not have been going on forever. Taking on the crusade to educate people on what you (and others) think it is... More power to you.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm not on any crusade (the Vice article that was posted a few pages ago is sufficient in terms of bringing people up to speed). I just took exception to someone posting tunes that had absolutely no relevance in this thread.

And if anyone wants to continue to argue this point then feel free to mention the DJs you've seen play live, I guarantee it won't come close to mine, that's what spending most weekends for the last 5 years of being immersed in the scene gets me. Shit, I'd bet the number of top DJs I've seen since Jan 1st exceeds anyone else on this board...

Lowendtheory_sl

shitlord
Can we all agree not to use the term "EDM". I cannot stand lumping everything into the same category. Especially when electronic music is so diverse.