Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
So it's a shared persistent galaxy?

And if you're getting ganked by a pirate you can't handle, can you just 'save and exit' and come back 10 minutes later when he has left?
First I'll tell you what probably killed you - switching to Silent Running. What that does is close every heat vent on your ship to give you a minimal infrared signature to make it harder to lock on to you. What it will also do is rapidly increase the build up of heat in your engines, since it has nowhere to go. I can't remember offhand exactly how long you have before you cook your ship, but it isn't long, and I doubt it's two minutes.

I don't know if you can save and exit in combat, but I'm guessing you can, but this is a British game and logging out in combat just isn't cricket ;-) It used to be that your ship just vanished when you logged out but it may persist now for a short while.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You're actually in an instance with 31 other nearby players when you're playing in online mode.

Solo is a private instance of the game.

Does anyone know anything about these Deliver Slaves missions? If the slaves are prohibited at the station but you're delivering them for a mission to help them at a halfway house or whatever, does that still count as carrying prohibited cargo?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's a sandbox, you have to make your own fun. The PvE content is a lot like fishing, sometimes you won't find anything to shoot for a while.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
First I'll tell you what probably killed you - switching to Silent Running. What that does is close every heat vent on your ship to give you a minimal infrared signature to make it harder to lock on to you. What it will also do is rapidly increase the build up of heat in your engines, since it has nowhere to go. I can't remember offhand exactly how long you have before you cook your ship, but it isn't long, and I doubt it's two minutes.

I don't know if you can save and exit in combat, but I'm guessing you can, but this is a British game and logging out in combat just isn't cricket ;-) It used to be that your ship just vanished when you logged out but it may persist now for a short while.
Ah right, so AFKing with Silent Running on is actually suicide.

That's probably my main gripe with the game: there are no safety valves. Everything you handle wrong will kill you. Nowadays a modern car will auto-correct any mistake you would make, but a 34th century spaceship will hurl itself into the sun after each spacejump, auto-overheat if you close the heat exhaust and accept all afterburner commands even when at 50 yards from a concrete space station wall.

And has no computer able to calculate the most profitable trades - or evenrememberingthe trade values - even if you've visited the systems multiple times in the past hours.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord

Does anyone know anything about these Deliver Slaves missions? If the slaves are prohibited at the station but you're delivering them for a mission to help them at a halfway house or whatever, does that still count as carrying prohibited cargo?
Yes they still count as prohibited. It's the patrolling ships that will scan you, not the station, so with good timing you can fly in fast - just hope you don't meet an Anaconda on its way out. Once you're inside you can't be scanned. You can also switch off systems selectively just before approach to reduce your heat output (like weapons, FSD, etc.) so the patrolling craft won't see you, or go Silent Running (which has it's own risks and only minimises your heat output, it doesn't make it zero).

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
So if I loved original eq and nerd-gasm on space shit, this might be sweet?
In my opinion, yes. I've had more fun with this game than I have had with any others in quite a while. There is literally no one telling you what to do or go where...so...the fun is in the adventure. I've been playing for 3 days about and I have more stories of my winding up in the craziest of circumstances. I haven't dealt much with trading but I have been having fun playing bounty hunter and wrecking some ships.

Last night...I was engaged with an Anaconda; the first time I've ever engaged one in my viper. This thing was a BEAST. The only thing I had going for me was that I knocked out his thrusters and he was just coasting sideways unable to turn towards me but he was still a vicious mother fucker. Several NPC Bounty Hunters smelled blood and they came in for a piece of my kill, only to get WRECKED when they got in front of him.

I eventually got him for a 69k bounty. Moments later the servers announced they were coming offline.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

That's probably my main gripe with the game: there are no safety valves. Everything you handle wrong will kill you. Nowadays a modern car will auto-correct any mistake you would make, but a 34th century spaceship will hurl itself into the sun after each spacejump, auto-overheat if you close the heat exhaust and accept all afterburner commands even when at 50 yards from a concrete space station wall.

And has no computer able to calculate the most profitable trades - or evenrememberingthe trade values - even if you've visited the systems multiple times in the past hours.
It does remember, and inform you, what systems are importing those goods, just not at what prices.

But yeah, this game plays like it was in the aftermath of some gigantic AI war because there's so little automation of anything.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.

Well its not forgiving towards AFKers, no.

If you do not want your ship to hurl into the sun after hyper-spacing, simply push the throttle to 0% once the countdown begins before the jump and you will end up facing the sun but not moving towards it.

More on the Clipper:

Yeah its hardpoints are not ideal but I see it more like a blockade runner. With turrets or missiles on the wingtips you get enough firepower to bring down most stuff and it handles as a dream with upgraded thrusters. Due to its amazing speed, you also retain the option of running from any situation unless you are very unlucky or run without shields (which you do not want to be doing when you have a ship that costs 5.579cr per % of hull to repair....). Upgrades are getting expensive but I guess that is to be expected when you reach class 6 stuff and large weapon sizes.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Welp time to take a break. Blew up my ship and lost a ton of bounties chasing a 100k Clipper.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game seems to good to be true. What are the big drawbacks/issues?
The biggest drawbacks I see so far is that the game is far from finished and lots of content that was promod in 2013 already is still not in. There's also a few minor things, such as missions are mostly designed for new players and finding a mission on the BB that actually fills up my Type 6 Transporter (not a highlevel ship by any means) is basically like finding the Ghoul Arch magus up, uncontested and dropping the SMR.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have no idea what I'm doing, but am having fun doing it. Not particularly a sandbox genre person but the space stuff has kind of trumped that. So far just figuring things out and getting comfortable cruising between systems, docking, accepting missions, etc... No idea what a good trade route is or how anything works, but I think I'm slowly picking things up. Ideally my goal is to do more of the explore side, but no idea how viable that is. Just kinda cruising around scanning things hah.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have no idea what I'm doing, but am having fun doing it. Not particularly a sandbox genre person but the space stuff has kind of trumped that. So far just figuring things out and getting comfortable cruising between systems, docking, accepting missions, etc... No idea what a good trade route is or how anything works, but I think I'm slowly picking things up. Ideally my goal is to do more of the explore side, but no idea how viable that is. Just kinda cruising around scanning things hah.
That's the way to do it man, just pop in and figure it out as you go. Exploring isn't SUPER lucrative at first, but after some big investments in upgraded scanners and such it can be - though it is certainly better than trading right from the start to build some credits up. The trading you pick up on what kinds of worlds to look for that are within jump range of each other, though honestly I found it easier to take out a few wanted ships to get credits early on, as you are pretty limited by the tiny hold on your starter Sidewinder and there are plenty of ships that will just try to run or dodge instead of actually fighting back. Don't forget to bind your discovery scanner to a firing group and fire it off when you are in a system; I think it was 3 days before I realized I had to assign it to a group and actually use it.

Had another great FUCK moment this morning, once again with a full hold of Palladium. I was pulling out of a space station and accelerating out, I notice in passing an Imperial Clipper coming in and think, shit, I can squeeze on top of it. Well I get in position to get out, and the fucking internal station cannons just open fire. It wasn't at me, but the bursts were coming from directly in front of me (I was a little high going out) and I instinctively tried to dodge. Whoomp, bounced into the Clipper (by now it was mostly into the station), which sent me spinning right into the station wall. Boom. Bye Bye 400k load of palladium. Another friendly reminder that nothing is routine and death can claim you at any moment.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This might be relevant - keep playing - we need your stories in the thread.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I found a pretty cool system.

Tjurinas. It's an anarchy system with a single large station which is an Anarchy station. It sells slaves and imperial slaves, along with just about everything else as its a major black market hub. It also offers a lot of missions.

It's 2 jumps (or maybe 1 in a good ship) away from a bunch of interesting places:

Adad is a very busy independent system with both Empire and Federation stations and docks.

ZZ Piscium and Iota Piscium are 2 high tech systems.

There's also a bunch of other really busy indepedent and federation systems around.

I've yet to even SEE an Alliance system, not sure where to turn those bounties in.

Vitality

HUSTLE
So I'm not a spaceship nerd much but I am a trading/market nerd, am I looking in the right place? Like say I want to fund 10 or 20 ships (friends) of weapons and what not does this game let me do that?

Edit: Yes I've played Eve already. Market is great.. the rest of the game not so much.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You only trade with the bank, not with other players. There are some ways to circumvent this, but they cost time or money.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There isn't even a good way to transfer money to other people yet. Grouping isn't fully realized yet.