Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
depends on what you want to do. boost a completely new player into good money is easy enough, just need a cargo scoop and some palladium you abandon outside an industrial station. That's 100k for just one trip in his sidewinder.

Transferring millions that way is of course bonkers.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
As long as you accept 5-10 min jumps between markets, you will probl find it intresting.
You will need to grind some to get the first trade-ship tho.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Hardly any of that means anything to me unless I can share with my buddies in some way. Dropping resource cans is a suitable method I suppose.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hehe, I guess I deserved that. I have played the originalElitethough (one of my all time favorite games). Had an Atari 2600 instead of a NES . Anyway, 4 days ask now due to vacation with the family. Will pick E:-D up again, but going for bounty hunting instead of trading, that was really too boring.

Faltigoth

So does this game have some sort of campaign/story, or is it just an open ended world with no definitive ending?
Totally open ended. Every day there is a "news story" or two about different happenings in the galaxy, but I haven't actually gone to any of the worlds mentioned so I am not sure if anything is happening at them, as they are quite far away from me. One place they were talking about a slave rebellion, another a rebellion because of excess debt, discussion about the succession for the leader of one of the major 3 factions.

Other than that, pretty much no story whatsoever, though there are people out there trying to make their own by tinkering with the faction system and throwing systems into civil unrest. It is straight up trade, fight, explore.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
So does this game have some sort of campaign/story, or is it just an open ended world with no definitive ending?
There are "official" storylines in the Empire with who becomes next emperor, and some stuff on the Federal side about rising taxation and perhaps a hint of systems quitting the Federation over it. The developers have said they are seeing how players react to it before putting more effort into it.

On the unofficial side people have been trying to get systems to switch sovereignty with partial success - it's not too hard to stir up trouble but it seems either very hard or currently impossible to cause enough problems for long enough to get a system to switch sides. It's another thing the developers have been watching, and presumably will balance. My guess is it's a similar problem to the NPC trading, where the game acts too aggressively to squash changes and maintain the status quo.

For example, the ongoing fight around Mikunn (I have managed to get the Dukes of Mikunn to start a takeover of a neighboring system) where a lockdown appears to be happening:

Dukes still expanding pending from Mikunn - Imgur

The checkpoints that have appeared inside the system are manned by Authority vessels, including Vipers, Cobras and Anacondas ofEliteranking. Don't go playing there in a ship you can't afford to lose.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fuck, I need combat stabilizers for a federation rank up... and they're nowhere to be found. Sucks because I had some stolen ones recently.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Hehe, I guess I deserved that. I have played the originalElitethough (one of my all time favorite games). Had an Atari 2600 instead of a NES . Anyway, 4 days ask now due to vacation with the family. Will pick E:-D up again, but going for bounty hunting instead of trading, that was really too boring.
I don't think I ever playedElite, but a lot of what I've seen, read and played of the modernElitereminds me a lot of my first real 'online' multiplayer game, Tradewars 2002.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Fuck, I need combat stabilizers for a federation rank up... and they're nowhere to be found. Sucks because I had some stolen ones recently.
Yes, have the same problem. Never even seen combat stabilizers :/ Dont even know what sort of economy produce them.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I've got data recorded from 120+ systems using EliteOCR. Not a single place selling Combat Stabalisers and only 7 buying. One of the wikis says right now only place to get them is dropped from NPC ships/Unidentified Signal Sources.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I've got data recorded from 120+ systems using EliteOCR. Not a single place selling Combat Stabalisers and only 7 buying. One of the wikis says right now only place to get them is dropped from NPC ships/Unidentified Signal Sources.
Hi tech Dictatorships or hi tech Anarchies can have them, under Medicines.

Faltigoth

I got the combat stabilizers for a fed rank up, abandoned that shit after futilely looking all over for them, and they had another mission right away with something that was a bit less of a hassle, personal weapons or something.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I assume you can't land on the planets or fly into their atmosphere, right?

I played the originalEliteon my Commodore 64. But my all time favorite space sim was Starglider II on my Amiga.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I assume you can't land on the planets or fly into their atmosphere, right?

I played the originalEliteon my Commodore 64. But my all time favorite space sim was Starglider II on my Amiga.
Apparently planets is going to be a paid expansion in the future.

Faltigoth

Well, I found myself a nice little triangle of high supply/high demand trade routes - with a wide variety of goods for the bulletin board resource missions, so I plopped down a million credits for a Type 6 transport and signed myself up for a couple of days of Space Trucker until I have enough for an Asp.

Only a matter of time before I smash into something and explode with a 1mil+ load of Palladium instead of just a 400k one!