Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Hey that looks familiar!
biggrin.png

I didn't even know we had an Elite thread, tbh. Always nice to see some Cobra MkIIIs kicking arse, though.

E: Also glad that it looks like they've gone for an (unrealistic) atmospheric-type flight model rather than (realistic but dull as fuck) Newtonian.

E2: Wait, hang on. Rewatching it and I'm not sure they're MkIIIs - the engines are wrong. MkIs, maybe? Sidewinders?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The video reminded me of Descent: Freespace gameplay. I loved that game. Probably the only space flight sim I've ever enjoyed.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How about everyone just settles on "If it wasn't for Elite, none of those games would have existedanyway"?
biggrin.png
I doubt you could ever say, "If it wasn't for *this* none of *these popular things* would have existed." Doesn't matter what group of things you're talking about.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Nah, Elitewaspretty much that influential and revolutionary. More or less the first 3D game for home computers (and certainly the first one that blocked out lines that weren't supposed to be visible), first open world simulation game, first game with procedurally generated content, first game to get ported to literally every console and home computer system that existed at the time, one of the first games to treat the player as an intelligent adult rather than a twitchy kid and essentially invented the space sim genre. There wasnothinglike it before, and gaming would be in a very different place nowadays if it hadn't existed.

Hell, even if you just want to narrow it down to the space sim genre, basically every dev team working in that space has previously cited it as a main or direct inspiration: No Elite? No Wing Commander, no EVE, no Decent andcertainlyno X series.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So are you saying that no other game would have ever been made if Elite didn't come out? That no other game could have ever been made that could pave the way for the genre similar to Elite?

Not saying Elite did not pave the way for other games, but to say other games would not have existed without another is just silly.

You gotta start somewhere, if Elite did not start it, it would have been some other game.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No Elite? No Wing Commander, no EVE, no Decent andcertainlyno X series.
Do you really think it'd be 2013 and of all the hundreds of genres that have been put together no game developer would sit down and think, "Video games are awesome, space is awesome, space combat scenes in movies/tv shows are awesome, BY GOD I COULD MAKE A SPACE COMBAT SIM?!"

That's too ludicrous for me to argue with.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Well it took 201,985 ish years of human development before Elite did it first, so who knows how much longer it might have taken if they hadn't!

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Elite is the mother of all space sims.
And it is still an awesome game.
I spend years of playing EQ in my room, before that i spend years of playing Elite in the basement (with my dad back then).
End of story.

Rhuobhe

N00b
This game looks like Escape Velocity, the greatest 90s Macintosh shareware game, ever.

EV was probably inspired by this game.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
This game looks like Escape Velocity, the greatest 90s Macintosh shareware game, ever.

EV was probably inspired by this game.
A quick visit to Wikipedia would prove you right:

"Elite was a hugely influential game, serving as a model for more recent games such as Space Rogue, Eve Online, Freelancer, Jumpgate, Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Wing Commander: Privateer, Pardus, the Escape Velocity series and the X series of space trading games"

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Hope they don't turn this into a straight shooting sim. And if you cannot land on planets I will swear off gaming forever.

Is it actually related to the team that created the original Elite at all? Any of the same people?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hope they don't turn this into a straight shooting sim. And if you cannot land on planets I will swear off gaming forever.

Is it actually related to the team that created the original Elite at all? Any of the same people?
It's the same guy, yeah. David Braben

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This just needs to be the same thing as the original with updated graphics/controls and shit, a la the X-Com remake. If I want to run slaves for mad profits, I had best be prepared to deal with those damn Viper police ships. And docking with the space stations, just leave that shit untouched.

Hot damn, I loved the original. Played that shit on a C-64. High potential for awesome here.