Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I know it's only an alpha but I like most of what I've seen of it, and it's good that the old Elite "3d" radar is back
wink.png

Gorrfink_sl

shitlord
Background: In 1982 some boffins at Cambridge University worked out how to make a sandbox universe where you could fly your spacecraft and fight/trade/explore/pirate the galaxies. 8 galaxies of 256 stars, each with individual stats and info. In 3D. In 32Kb. That's 38068 bytes, people - about an email.Watch it Here.

The big publishing companies at the time said 'Hell, no' to this sandboxing malarky. At the time everything had 3 lives and a high score. Yet it got published by an offshoot of the BBC and the numbers sold were massive.

Years later, the authors, Braben and Bell, made 2newerversions, they allegedly fell out, last game was buggy etc everyone got prissy (allegedly, of course) and then acted like dicks over rights whenOOlitegot released for free to play and download. The dicks are alleged.

Nowadays, thekickstarterfor a new, 21st centuryElite: Dangerous, raised a lot more than they expected. Looking to go live in March/April.

I have attached a few videos to see if anyone else on FoH has any interest in this. Is this another has-been with a vision? If this is a game on your radar, post thoughts below.

Gorrfink.

Declaration: I'm inAlpha - but its looking bloody good so far.

Krag

Peasant
Amod should probably mergethis.

I'm following it for sure, I played the C64 version until my ears bled The Blue Danube.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The videos look absolutely amazing. The next couple of years are going to be great for space sims.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get why people called Frontier Elite 2 bad. It worked. It was sandbox. It's a long shot from what Vanguard was.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have attached a few videos to see if anyone else on FoH has any interest in this. Is this another has-been with a vision? If this is a game on your radar, post thoughts below.
I'll be playing this when it comes out. I've got no real interest in playing the alpha or the beta version though. In most games I have a pretty high tolerance to bugs, but in space flight sims where there might be a half hour between save points a bug can be extremely frustrating, especially since the first half of a mission or flight sequence might just be flying to the interaction point with only scripted voices or the low hum of the engine to keep you company.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't get why people called Frontier Elite 2 bad. It worked. It was sandbox. It's a long shot from what Vanguard was.
Frontier 2 was great. It was Frontier: First Encounters that was the problem. When I first got it the game wouldn't even start and the configuration program wouldn't work with soundblaster cards. As it was before the days of the internet being in common usage they advertised in PC gaming magazines, and you had to send in a coupon/letter to request a floppy disk with a patch on. Even then there were masses of problems, and the storyline involving the aliens never worked properly.

Krag

Peasant
A pretty amazing video from the alpha. At least the combat part seems to be shaping up very well.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Looking good. I can't believe how rare space sim/rpgs are with today's tech. I'm glad to see a resurgence through Kickstarter. Is the engine proprietary or is it a licensed tech?

Krag

Peasant
Looking good. I can't believe how rare space sim/rpgs are with today's tech. I'm glad to see a resurgence through Kickstarter. Is the engine proprietary or is it a licensed tech?
It's proprietary as far as I know.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Seems to be when he accelerates. He keeps bursting with the thrusters.

This will be epic with Oculus Rift.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Seems to be when he accelerates. He keeps bursting with the thrusters.

This will be epic with Oculus Rift.
Just a real life question for everybody.... do people's FOV change when they press the accelerator on their car's gas pedals?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Just a real life question for everybody.... do people's FOV change when they press the accelerator on their car's gas pedals?
"Cockpit movement is currently under discussion in the alpha forum. As the movement is very likely to cause motion sickness, it is turned off by default for users of Oculus Rift"

- posted today on the Frontier forums

khalid

Unelected Mod
Looks really good and all, but the gun sounds remind me more of a WW2 plane than a weapon for a space sim.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"Cockpit movement is currently under discussion in the alpha forum. As the movement is very likely to cause motion sickness, it is turned off by default for users of Oculus Rift"

- posted today on the Frontier forums
That's good. I'm so tired of racing 'simulators' shifting my fov by 20 degrees when I accelerate. The people who like that shit probably love shaky cam and motion blur.