Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Just a real life question for everybody.... do people's FOV change when they press the accelerator on their car's gas pedals?
I wouldn't say the actual FOV changes, but what you're focused on would definitely be a smaller area of your view.

That said, I don't even know if what I said was right in the post you responded to. Was just guessing from watching it.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Oh my. It looks like it's shaping up to be the next game I book holiday off work for!

Faltigoth

yeah wow. That docking pretty much looks exactly the same as I remember it, except they filled in the lines with pretty graphics, hehe. And you get to actually land too!

This game might really be the best thing that ever happens.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
After they made X:Rebirth look awesome in the trailers and previews no chance I order this before some reviews come out

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
yea, i pretty much mentally said fuck this game as soon as they said get out of the spaceship. WHY. ITS A FUCKING SPACE GAME I WANT TO BE IN SPACE.

Stop wasting time, money and other shit deving stuff i don't give half a fuck about. I fucking love space sim games, but why are game makers so fucking alergic to focusing on the space sim part of it? Work on the economy and more/new ships. Work on making stations and making the world compelling. Don't work on fucking interiors and character models, assholes.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yea, i pretty much mentally said fuck this game as soon as they said get out of the spaceship. WHY. ITS A FUCKING SPACE GAME I WANT TO BE IN SPACE.

Stop wasting time, money and other shit deving stuff i don't give half a fuck about. I fucking love space sim games, but why are game makers so fucking alergic to focusing on the space sim part of it? Work on the economy and more/new ships. Work on making stations and making the world compelling. Don't work on fucking interiors and character models, assholes.
I'm with this guy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As long as I don't have to spend 5 minutes to dock with a station I don't really care. My preference would be to fly within a km of it and have full interaction.

Dyvim

Docking Computer procedure in Elite took like 90 secs top, it docked you safely (for most of the time) and played An der sch?nen blauen Donau (By the beautiful blue Danube) the whole process. If that doesnt make it into Elite: Dangerous ... im out, seriously.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Docking Computer procedure in Elite took like 90 secs top, it docked you safely (for most of the time) and played An der sch?nen blauen Donau (By the beautiful blue Danube) the whole process. If that doesnt make it into Elite: Dangerous ... im out, seriously.
Some alpha 4 gameplay:

First 5 or so minutes is looking at the map (Douglas Adams was right, space is really big), then a jump to a new system. Space station docking is about 12 minutes in and takes about 60 seconds, followed by some menu stuff for trading and ship upgrades. Combat is about 18 minutes in although bear in mind he has a peashooter for a weapon so it goes on a bit. Finishes with a look at the ring graphics.

Beta goes live tomorrow AFAIK.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Well shit. Looks like I need a new PC around christmas so I'm ready to go. Been pushing that in front of me for 3 years, it's time to give in.

Digby_sl

shitlord
Gawd... I still remember those many many deaths learning to dock with the keyboard on my C64 trying to save up for a docking computer.

Loved being miles out from the station and needing a break... in a safe system just activate docking computer and it'd have a go.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I seriously hope the Multiplayer is good. A massive, procedural galaxy to find resources that other players need? Yes please.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Elite is the first "propper" computer game I remember playing on my dad's old PC. Then it was one of the first games I bought for my Atari ST. It is also the reason why I have tried most space sims out there. Loved it. But while I loved it, there were some problems that have mostly been fixed by later games. For example non-joystick flying, so far Freelancer's mouse based system is the best I've seen (for actual flying, Eve's indirect flying is also good, but probably not suitable for this). Has anyone here played the game yet? How are the controls?

And yeah, I'm with the others, manually docking is all fine and dandy if you want, but if this game doesn't have an autodocking feature (even if it's a module you have to buy for your ship) then that would really limit my expected play time in this game.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
As I understand it a docking computer is something you'll be able to buy later on, but how automatic everything will be with it I don't know. Some of the remote space stations will apparently not offer "rotational assistance" while docking, which means that even once you get inside them the walls (and landing pads) will still be spinning. It looks like it will be part of the risk/reward; the further out you go in search of lucrative trade and resources the harder life gets.

Docking with some of the larger ships will be a challenge.