Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
not only is this on steam now, it's a top seller

vIXBRyy.png

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Saw that, I'm glad they backed off their initial stance that there seemingly wouldn't be a steam version, when I loaded it up today I was surprised and happy to see it. Its worth the praise.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They need to hand out steam keys to people who've already bought the game from their website though.

That's my only complaint about this move, and they've already said on their forums they're looking into it.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had thought that you could thru steam add any game that is on steam but you didnt purchase that way. Or is that old from the days of physical copy cd keys. (Vs online with them I imagine there wasn't one).

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I had thought that you could thru steam add any game that is on steam but you didnt purchase that way. Or is that old from the days of physical copy cd keys. (Vs online with them I imagine there wasn't one).
It doesn't work like that, no. I'm not sure what you're referencing, but yeah there's a pretty big thread on the steam forums for this game already about the topic, that was stickied, where the devs said they're looking into it.

But yeah I wish. The main reason to want them to give steam keys to already existing buyers is so we can keep the game automatically updated through Steam.

Sludig

For example, I had some of the old Dawn of war and other games, you could add them to your steam library even though I bought them at a best buy or something.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
For example, I had some of the old Dawn of war and other games, you could add them to your steam library even though I bought them at a best buy or something.
There has to be a special agreement with Steam for that, typically, from my understanding.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It works with all sorts of old game keys, before the age of DRM activations.

Raign

Golden Squire
Anyone have experience with the new Wings capability? Had a bunch of friends temporarily quit because of the lack of ability to team up, just wondering how it works (e.g. if one is interdicted how do the others help out etc.)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have experience with the new Wings capability? Had a bunch of friends temporarily quit because of the lack of ability to team up, just wondering how it works (e.g. if one is interdicted how do the others help out etc.)
If you're close, you can drop into the interdiction very quickly.
However PVP is the only wings content right now, and all the wings that currently PVP are cutting edge skill and ship wise. So your only wing PVP choice right now is pirating players in routes less traveled. PVE content isn't really in yet, Strong signal sources turned out to be a bust. You can RES hunt ok and conflict zone fairly well too

Just finished the grind for my Anaconda last night. I haven't had much time playing with it but it feels like a damned speed boat after flying that Type-9 for a few days. Looking forward to hooking up the DK2 and puttering around tonight. Need a few more cranks of the old grind wheel to buy a few upgrades for it. If anyone wants to meet up let me know, it be nice to actually talk to other players, I haven't seen another CMDR in weeks.

If anyone needs help finding a trade route my suggestion is go as far north or south in the galaxy as you can. Once I went a few hundred light years due north a ton of low to no traffic trade routes opened up. Most ports at the far north or south seem to have a 0-10 traffic report, which means the trade routes last forever.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished the grind for my Anaconda last night. I haven't had much time playing with it but it feels like a damned speed boat after flying that Type-9 for a few days. Looking forward to hooking up the DK2 and puttering around tonight. Need a few more cranks of the old grind wheel to buy a few upgrades for it. If anyone wants to meet up let me know, it be nice to actually talk to other players, I haven't seen another CMDR in weeks.

If anyone needs help finding a trade route my suggestion is go as far north or south in the galaxy as you can. Once I went a few hundred light years due north a ton of low to no traffic trade routes opened up. Most ports at the far north or south seem to have a 0-10 traffic report, which means the trade routes last forever.
thanks for the Tip. I have seen a lot more people since the game has come on steam.

Araxen

This game looks so awesome. I'm watching this streamer and she has voice enable and she's telling the ship what to do. It's pretty cool!

Twitch

Once I get over my Bloodborne addiction I'm going to move over to this game!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Be careful though, she is rather garbage as a player. Watch skafsgaardpg, fanatics34 or tgapples for srs streams.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I want to start playing this again, but after playing a lot of Star Citizen I find that the ships are unbelievably bland, ship equipment is also bland, and combat is a little dull.

Then again, this game is actually functional.

The words 'minimum viable product' have never been more meaningful to me when looking at both of these games. Star Citizen is likely to be nothing but a hanger and a combat simulator for a long time, and I think it will be a very long time before Elite has content and customization worth a damn.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Stuff from the Q & A session with David Braben on update 1.3 ("Powerplay").

- The core mission system has been completely overhauled
- Minor Factions are small, relating to local governance (like running stations), Powers are much wider entities, with Major Factions above them. Effectively it is a new, intervening layer.
- Likely to be ten Powers when Powerplay first goes out, it can go up to twenty depending on what happens in game.
- Joining powers is optional and you can continue to play the game as you do now if you don?t want to get involved. You do need to join a power to gain the perks (like Power-specific modules and weapons), but changes to systems from being controlled by a power apply to anyone in that system.
- Players can defect from a power to join another at any time, but if they're highly ranked within the power then there could be repercussions.
- Carte blanche PvP only exists within systems controlled by your Power and only apply against ships that are aligned with a Power of a different major faction to your Power.

David Braben Powerplay AMA General Discussion - Qs As in one place

Background on the 1.3 update

- ally yourself with any one of a number of galactic Powers, earning valuable perks, reputation bonuses and credits for your allegiance.
- Every Power is a fully fleshed-out organisation or character with a figurehead, biography, political leaning and faction-specific perks. Each one dominates an expanse of human-occupied space and your actions will see their influence grow as they overthrow neighbouring systems, or collapse as other players move against them.
- Players choose which system their Power targets. At the end of the week the target will be chosen and objectives will be created. If your Power tasks you to conquer a system, there will always be an opposing mission for the other side.
- the objectives match the faction's ethos... For example, if a major economic Power sends in their traders for a financial takeover against a military powerhouse, the other side may be tasked with piracy missions to destroy or loot their cargo
- The Pilots Federation waives all penalties for engaging invaders in combat during times of war, so you'll have license to attack anyone from a rival power [of opposite major faction] in your own territory without incurring a bounty
Elite: Dangerous Update #72 - Powerplay

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Galnet news clip (spoilered for size)

rrr_img_97213.jpg

There's speculation these are linked to the Fed Navy convoys transporting Hafnium people are now seeing, but as the convoys are protected by half a dozen Vultures and a couple of Anacondas it's a little difficult to get hold of some while at the same time having an alien artefact rotting your ship away from the inside out.