Elysium

Juvarisx

Florida
They didn't do one in Toronto for this film for media buyers so I couldn't grab tickets. Peter Howell is is The Toronto Star's film critic is a family friend and I believe the critic screenings for the Toronto Film critics are not till later this week. From what I understand he didn't "fuck" anything up, its still brilliantly shot and imaginative its just not probably as good as District 9.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's the movie I've been most looking forward to this year. I'm wiling to bet it won't be "messed up" simply because Matt and Jodie are in it. That is clearly not proof or anything, but Matt is pretty solid when it comes to action roles.

Juvarisx

Florida
Was that post serious?
He is, but forgot to never base general opinion on small sample size, I think after 11 reviews it was at 56 percent or something and started to climb. Its interesting the negative reviews were somewhat mirrored to the issues in District 9, so I guess we will see. I loved District 9 but the reviews were sometimes TOO generous and I suspect it was simply because it was low budget with no name actors (at the time) and critics love to be hipster.

So i actually read the negative reviews to see if there is a common theme and there is. You remember the end of District 9 when they are battling through the shanty town trying to get the alien to his ship and it kind of felt out of place compared ot the rest of the movie but it was awesome anyways because of the mech? Its like that just for more of the movie, so its more action but a little less character building but it seems to carry itself fine. There is only one really bad review because the guy is a total douchebag hipster but the rest of the "bad" were 3/5 which isn't bad but whatever its rotten tomatoes.

Juvarisx

Florida
Loved it, screw the critics they are all hipsters who are hating on anything with a budget this summer. If it was made for 30 million like district 9 it would have the 90 pct reviews that movie had. More action then district 9 and less a "thinking" movie but its not a brainless science action movie, its a solid science fiction movie. Brilliantly shot, brilliant visuals, realistic tech, future and cynicism.

Acting was fine, particularly Sharlto Copley. Pacing was good and I never felt bored or overloaded, and generally the script never felt campy or lame. I really hope Blomkamp keeps making sci-fi because his imagination is fantastic, and its probably on par for my favouriate movie this summer.

If you liked District 9 you will like this it just has more action like the climax of that movie did, which critics found as a negative and I think he improved greatly since then so it worked perfectly for me. By the way this movies message is as subtle as a sledgehammer but its no more obvious then it was in District 9 so don't get too stuck on that.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
He is, but forgot to never base general opinion on small sample size, I think after 11 reviews it was at 56 percent or something and started to climb. Its interesting the negative reviews were somewhat mirrored to the issues in District 9, so I guess we will see. I loved District 9 but the reviews were sometimes TOO generous and I suspect it was simply because it was low budget with no name actors (at the time) and critics love to be hipster.

So i actually read the negative reviews to see if there is a common theme and there is. You remember the end of District 9 when they are battling through the shanty town trying to get the alien to his ship and it kind of felt out of place compared ot the rest of the movie but it was awesome anyways because of the mech? Its like that just for more of the movie, so its more action but a little less character building but it seems to carry itself fine. There is only one really bad review because the guy is a total douchebag hipster but the rest of the "bad" were 3/5 which isn't bad but whatever its rotten tomatoes.
I was more so asking on his "reviews range from bad to good" comment.

People will either like this movie or they wont!
tongue.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Loved this movie. I definitely think if you liked district9 you'll like it.
Some of the parts of the movie and universe I thought deserved to be explained more, maybe if it were longer or a book instead of a movie I'd be more satisfied with the explanation of how things are. Specifically how such a futuristic society can allow for such a crummy earth. I'm sure it could've been explained away by saying how the various high-tech systems were extremely costly to use (whereas the healing tubes seemed virtually free) or by explaining that the people on Elysium are extremely bigotted enough to separate themselves from the earthlings. Fichtner's character kind of had that but it seemed less systemic.

I also didn't like the shaky cam in all the action sequences. It turned most of the fighting into a waste of screen time for me.

Juvarisx

Florida
I can understand the dislike of shakey cam, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to which might mean I am getting too used to it which would be not a good thing haha. I agree some things being expanded upon would have been wonderful but that is also a testament to Blomkamp's imagination in that he creates such a immerse world you want to know more about it. I think of the explanation more could be the later that you posted in that the people of Elysium feel so superior to those on the surface that cost aside they feel the people on Earth do not deserve that kind of technology and are only there to create the machines they use.

Remember this movie is a message about class warfare run amok. If the mega rich could build a space station to live on that is an ideal paradise why would they care how the rest of the world lives its just a third world manufacturing base.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I've heard this beats you over the head with Occupy Wallstreet dogma. Is this going to be unbearable to watch if your world view isn't that you're a slave to the "1%"?

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Just saw it. Enjoyed it a lot. So many parts of it screamed "please for the love of god let me make a halo movie" (not a bad thing imo).

edit: didnt get an occupy wall street vibe from it, but looking back you could find the connection if you wanted to.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just saw it. Enjoyed it a lot. So many parts of it screamed "please for the love of god let me make a halo movie" (not a bad thing imo).

edit: didnt get an occupy wall street vibe from it, but looking back you could find the connection if you wanted to.
I didn't get the occupy wall street vibe either, I got a vibe about Illegal border crossing, which I don't think was subtle in any way so I'm sure others did too.

I'm sure there were some killer fighting scenes but I wouldn't know it due to overwhelming shaky cam useage.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The movie is 100% about class warfare, but to me a movie fictionalizing occupy wall street has to be about finance. This was more about corrupt government and rich business owners. It would be interesting if they tried to present it as Elysium was almost entirely composed of around 1000 corrupt politicians and Romney-style financiers, but what they had is fine.