Elysium

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed the characters more than the story. Especially Kruger.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Went and saw it tonight. I enjoyed it though it was really short and I feel they could have expanded on a lot of things.

I don't know what they were thinking for the final fight scene, the way they filmed that really disappointed me.

Overall I liked it, It's a good sci fi action flick and it's always nice to see those being made.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Also...
I knew glad Fosters character would obviously die but I was really hoping for something much more dramatic than her dieing in a damn closet.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why in the blue fuck do people who make movies use god damn super fast cuts and shaky cam? This movie would of been a 10x better visual experience with some study cam. Hell in one of the scenes they had a decent over the shoulder shot that was nice but was kinda weird because it was juxtaposed against every other shot that was done in shaky cam style with 2-3 second cuts or less.

Good sci-fi movie but the story was approaching brow beating levels of political message stupidity at times.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Shaky camera gives the effect of making everything look fast when it's probably really slow.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Shaky camera gives the effect of making everything look fast when it's probably really slow.
it's also an easy way to hide the fact the actors are awful fighters because they are lazy fucks who dont want to learn few coreographic moves. Or that the director isnt capable to coordinate more than 3 ppl on screen so they have to hide the embarassing actors in the background standing still

every fucking director should be forced to watch Children of Men at least 1000 times Clockwork Orange style. That's how your organize action scenes

Saw this last night with my gf, I liked it more then her.
I do agree it could have been made longer by at least 20-35 mins.
Then they could have fleshed out a lot more.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There was too much action and it detracted from the storytelling.
There was too much heavy-handed political bullshit that detracted from the storytelling, and nowhere near enough not-shaky-cam action to make me able to ignore that.

It wasn't a bad movie, but as a follow-up to District 9 I was pretty disappointed. If District 9 is a 9/10 or so, then Elysium is at most a 7/10 (and that's being generous).

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Saw this, regretted it. Script was heavy-handed to the point of distraction. The sci-fi elements had potential to be used smartly, but they weren't. Nothing in this movie encouraged me to give a shit one way or the other about any of the characters. The action was fine and the production value was high, but it's a highly polished turd.

C-

Juvarisx

Florida
Its interesting, this movie is no more politicized then District 9 was and its getting more hate for it. I guess the issue of wealth inequality and class wars hits closer to home then refugees and the poor being subjugated to shanty towns.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Both were about class wars but Elysium was much more focused in a variety of ways. Most prominent was that it was humans vs humans instead of humans vs prawns.

Juvarisx

Florida
I'd say District 9 is more about xenophobia and racism then class wars, but maybe its because I see class in a non racial sense.

iannis

Musty Nester
I really didn't like District 9 until the tag end of it. The CGI was great and the mecha was hella-cool, but I could have done without being continually punched in the face by the casual racism of a mostly well-intentioned and mostly incompetent afrikanner beauracrat.

D9 wasn't afraid to get dark though. Jesus, some parts of that movie were just gruesome. And not the shooty parts. But when you're going for social relevance I do think plot holes become a much bigger issue than if you're going for a CGI fest "holy shit that mecha is wicked cool" shoot 'em up.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its interesting, this movie is no more politicized then District 9 was and its getting more hate for it. I guess the issue of wealth inequality and class wars hits closer to home then refugees and the poor being subjugated to shanty towns.
Personally, I despise symbolism/allegory/whatever you want to call it as a method of getting your message across in a story. While watching Elysium I felt like I was constantly being beat over the head with it, but with District 9 it was easy to just watch and enjoy the movie for what it was and not what it might represent. That's why District 9 is a great movie, and Elysium is barely an average one.