Embers Adrift

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
You literary described all MMO. They were all lack of content, unpolished, and full of bug to a degree at the beginning.

Say New World, I don't think launching on steam on day one help anyone at all.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Why is that a red flag? 99% of MMO didn't launched on any digital distribution platform on day one.
When was Steam released? When did digital distribution become the "norm"? That's what I thought.

But yeah, let's stay stuck in the boomer age "just because".

Steam is so useful and intuitive I don't fuck with a single game that isn't on its platform, especially when you compare it against all of its competitors.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
When was Steam released? When did digital distribution become the "norm"? That's what I thought.

But yeah, let's stay stuck in the boomer age "just because".

Steam is so useful and intuitive I don't fuck with a single game that isn't on its platform, especially when you compare it against all of its competitors.

Don't know a ton about PC games, but doesn't Steam allow plenty of absolutely shit level games? What would be the "red flag" outside of just stupidly limiting their own sales?

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I'll probably give this a go at launch, mainly because I really enjoy two of the main aspects of brand new MMOs - exploring unknown content without any concept of a meta, and finding ridiculous game breaking bugs to fuck around with.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Steam launched almost 20 years ago. Till this day, there is still well known MMO that isn't on steam.

Plus, MMO requires extra work to intergrate into other platform because of communication between client and server. There are a lot more things going on behind the scene like login server etc.

Steam is not a good a measurement to see how good/bad a MMO is.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Almost every MMO that uses steam use it exclusively as the launcher, not the MMO part.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its free advertising too. Some obscure MMO on some obscure website made by obscure company is not going to garner any suppoort. I mean the game would have to be GODLY in order to catch the word of mouth wave.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Don't know a ton about PC games, but doesn't Steam allow plenty of absolutely shit level games?
You kind of answered your own question with that part of the sentence.

This game isn't on Steam for 1 of 3 reasons, maybe even multiple..

1. It's so shitty that Steam won't even allow it on their platform.
2. The devs are so inept that can't develop a Steam version.
3. They plan to sell so few copies that the Steam cut of their profits means they can't recoup dev costs, even with the "free" advertising Steam would provide by listing their game.

So, like I said, if a game isn't on Steam it throws up a massive fucking red flag as to why it isn't. Unless it's some triple AAA dev studio that sold out on an exclusive deal with Epic or some other bullshit, in which case it's usually still shit.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know almost nothing about the devs but Ive seen a bit about the game. I have no idea what you guys hang up with not being on Steam is, but I think its perfectly fine to launch without being on Steam first. Ive seen some racist, sexist ass, nasty ass shit on Steam so it definitely isnt being denied entry. The code for validation services is available for free on Steam, so it isnt the second one. Even our local Chris is smart enough to copy/paste code ffs. Third has some legitimacy only because theyre launching a live service and are going to need every single dime they can muster to keep this project afloat. They launch with their dedicated audience first, get the most money for those services as they can, fix bugs, put in more content etc. and keep it rolling. Does that sound bad? Sort of? Im too tight to spend money on "projects" or things that Im not at least 70% sure Ill like. But ffs, I wish people trying to get ahead all the more success in the world. This argument seems petty af.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I know almost nothing about the devs but Ive seen a bit about the game. I have no idea what you guys hang up with not being on Steam is, but I think its perfectly fine to launch without being on Steam first. Ive seen some racist, sexist ass, nasty ass shit on Steam so it definitely isnt being denied entry. The code for validation services is available for free on Steam, so it isnt the second one. Even our local Chris is smart enough to copy/paste code ffs. Third has some legitimacy only because theyre launching a live service and are going to need every single dime they can muster to keep this project afloat. They launch with their dedicated audience first, get the most money for those services as they can, fix bugs, put in more content etc. and keep it rolling. Does that sound bad? Sort of? Im too tight to spend money on "projects" or things that Im not at least 70% sure Ill like. But ffs, I wish people trying to get ahead all the more success in the world. This argument seems petty af.
Eh, never said it couldn't still be decent. Simply that any game which doesn't release on Steam for whatever reason, typically throws up red flags.

"WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE GOOD MMOS THAT RELEASED THEIR OWN CLIENT HUH!?!"

You mean the MMOs that came out 20 fuckin' years ago, before Steam even existed? :rolleyes:

• 2Picard

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I don't see how a game not releasing on Steam is in any way a red flag. Steam has the largest number of vaporware games on the internet, so if you're thinking "Well the quality must be bad" then I implore you to search "Worst games on Steam" on Youtube and see the absolute garbage they allow on their platform.

Your other concern that "The devs are so inept that can't develop a Steam version" is a silly one too. If they can develop a game they can certainly use the Online Subsystem Steam API just fine.

Really it just comes down to a monetary issue - they don't want to lose the 30% cut of the box cost that Steam takes from sales. I'm not sure if that's a smart choice, based on the exposure they would get by being on Steam, but I certainly don't have any data to back that up so who knows.

Calling any of these things "red flags" is a little ridiculous imo.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Exactly, nowadays some tend to call whatever they don't like a "red flag", instead of using sounded logic...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Caught up on this and after will be playing at launch. Should be enough there to play for a month then decide whats up. Worth the price of admission to me.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Flobee Flobee How important is stamina in this game? Duelist level 30 ability is a stamina regain so I assume very? If not will be going sentinel for the big heal.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Flobee Flobee How important is stamina in this game? Duelist level 30 ability is a stamina regain so I assume very? If not will be going sentinel for the big heal.
Ok now I remember a stamina bar haha. Or mana maybe. And yea that might be super useful. Already running out at level 3 on groupy fights.