Emulators/Roms

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Was wondering if anyone knew what THE go-to Sega emulator for Windows is? And any Sega RPG recommendations would be nice.

Shining Force 1&2, Landstalker, Phantasy Star 2-4, then Lunar, Lunar Eternal Blue, and Shining Force CD on the Sega CD, that's pretty much it.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
For Sega you want the emulator calledKusionand for the SNES you wantsnes9x. I have every single SNES and Genesis game out there on my laptop and I got them from a torrent on Piratebay.

Shining Force 1&2, Landstalker, Phantasy Star 2-4, then Lunar, Lunar Eternal Blue, and Shining Force CD on the Sega CD, that's pretty much it.
Fantastic list. I would say that if you're recommending Landstalker, you might as well recommend Beyond Oasis as well. Also, Shadowrun needs to be every Sega Genesis play list, regardless of the type of game being recommended.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kega Fusion

I've played throughDark Wizardmore times than any other single player RPG I've ever played. Gameplay is kind of similar to the Shining Force games, except I've never finished a single Shining Force game because they mostly feel like they're aimed at grade school or middle school aged kids, and Dark Wizard feels more like it's designed for a high school audience. I've tried playing the Shining games a bunch of times too, but I just can't enjoy a tactical RPG that's that been dumbed-down that far, and there's zero nostalgia there for me either, so they just don't do anything for me.

If you're into more Final Fantasy-esque JRPGs, the entire Phantasy Star series is good (III is the least good). If you skip straight to IV though, you'll miss out on some of what makes IV so good: Since it's the final game of the series, they made sure it really tied the series together storywise.

The Lunar games are kind of simplified and more cutsey than the Phantasy Star series, pretty much the same as the SF games are simplified and cutsey versions of Dark Wizard. I liked the Lunar games a lot more than the Shining series though, because the JRPG style works pretty well as a story telling device, so the simplified gameplay doesn't detract from the overall quality of the experience. Don't go getting your hopes up expecting anything special from the stories though.
wink.png

wink.png

wink.png

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fantastic list. I would say that if you're recommending Landstalker, you might as well recommend Beyond Oasis as well. Also, Shadowrun needs to be every Sega Genesis play list, regardless of the type of game being recommended.
Oh right, Beyond Oasis is great if you've ever liked any of the Zelda games.

Shadowrun is a really unique RPG that feels like it would've been right at home on a PC of that era. I'd say if you've ever liked any of the Fallout games, give Shadowrun a shot too.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Not sega, but I recently came across a website calledSNESbox.comand it can play a ton of NES/SNES games right in your browser. No extensions or anything. They have pretty much every well-known title and any other SNES game I have looked for.

You can even play multiplater via internet!

Lunar really is my favorite console RPG, being a Sega baby and all. Just wanted to make a mention about the PS2 remake where they changed practically *everything* including major parts of the story, so if you like the Sega CD version you should play this one too. Or if you maybe you couldn't get into the Sega CD version being kinda basic the PS2 version is more modern, with improved graphics, gameplay, and more voice acted dialogue.

Its impossible for me to say, actually I think I'm getting an aneurysm trying to think of an answer to this... they really are two completely different games, its like asking "If you could only play Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI which would you pick?"

I'm just going to say go with the original, if you ever decide to play the remake then you will be able to spot the extensive changes and enjoy it more, that doesn't really work the other way around.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thread necro.

I was thinking about playing through some old RPGs I missed as a kid (Lunar, the Persona series, FF9, and a couple others). Anyone have any zips of games + emu's, or recommendations on legit sites to use? I checked out the ones already mentioned in the thread.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would avoid direct download sites and go the torrent route. You can easily download the entire library for most systems (not recent systems) very quickly.

koljec_sl

shitlord
If you're into more Final Fantasy-esque JRPGs, the entire Phantasy Star series is good (III is the least good). If you skip straight to IV though, you'll miss out on some of what makes IV so good: Since it's the final game of the series, they made sure it really tied the series together storywise.
Considering when it was made and the system it was on, the original Phantasy Star is amazing. I don't think Nintendo had anything that looked as good at that time.

Phantasy Star II will always be my favorite, though. Nei forever! Didn't PSII cost like $80 when it came out?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't know about PSII but I know that when I bought PSIV it was $100 or $120 brand new.

It's my favorite RPG series of all time, although I am angered by what they have done to it
frown.png

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
on that site xzi posted, going through all the NES games, its hilarious some of the shit they put out.