Emulators/Roms

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
So I did end up making that RaspberryPi "RETROPIE" emulation station. Right now it has every SNES, NES, Master System, Genesis, a ton of GB/GBA games, and some N64/PSX games. N64 games run "ok" on it, but I hear the new RPI2 runs them much better.

Cool little box. Only cost me $35 and it hooks right up to my TV. I use my PS3/PS4 controllers with bluetooth dongles too.
Sounds like a cool project. Any links to a material list and step-by-step instructions?

Next time I need a mobile game, I'm going to try Jeanne d'Arc, as I've heard it runs perfectly in the emu and also good things about the game itself.
I really enjoyed Jeanne D'Arc. Had a lot of fun with that. But if you're gonna play tactical RPGs for PSP, don't forget the Disgaea games!

I've been wanting to play N64 games for a while now, but despite having a great game collection not a single one of my many N64 controllers has a properly functioning analog stick (I'm still pissed at Nintendo for those shitty, shitty controllers). I tried an emulator a couple of years back but there was an extra step that I just couldn't figure out in order to get it to run games properly. I had to download a separate file (region-related, possibly) but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work. I'm pretty sure it was Project64, too... Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
But if you're gonna play tactical RPGs for PSP, don't forget the Disgaea games!
I've attempted to play Disgaea 1-4 on PS2/PS3. I like the complexity and the combat systems, but I never get very far because the "humor"--if you can call it that--kills the series for me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sounds like a cool project. Any links to a material list and step-by-step instructions?

I really enjoyed Jeanne D'Arc. Had a lot of fun with that. But if you're gonna play tactical RPGs for PSP, don't forget the Disgaea games!

I've been wanting to play N64 games for a while now, but despite having a great game collection not a single one of my many N64 controllers has a properly functioning analog stick (I'm still pissed at Nintendo for those shitty, shitty controllers). I tried an emulator a couple of years back but there was an extra step that I just couldn't figure out in order to get it to run games properly. I had to download a separate file (region-related, possibly) but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work. I'm pretty sure it was Project64, too... Anybody know what I'm talking about?
I can post some stuff. First, this is the exact kit I bought:

Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi 2 Complete Starter Kit with WiFi (Latest Version Raspberry Pi 2 + WiFi + Original Preloaded 8GB SD Card + Case + Power Supply + HDMI Cable): Computers Accessories

You can buy a RPi for like $35, but I wanted the stuff like wifi dongle, case, etc so I went with that kit. I have an RPi v1.0, but I hear the 2.0 is much faster.

Then you image the SD card (via PC) with:

RetroPie Downloads | petRockBlog

If you don't have a card reader, you can run the setup script from the above website - but a bit of fair warning, I had a lot of trouble getting that to work correctly.

Once that's up, you can use WINSCP to send your roms over to the respective folders and run it.

There's a lot of Linux work you need to do to get the wifi dongle working, getting controllers to work in EmulationStation/ROMs, etc. So if someone is seriously interested to the point that they want to fully buy-in on this I can write a very detailed guide. A bit of fair warning, if you aren't comfortable in Linux, you might have a bit of a tough learning curve.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Noodle - I wouldn't mind the full write-up ... That kit looks pretty sweet, and my wife would probably even play some of those old games.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's a lot of Linux work you need to do to get the wifi dongle working, getting controllers to work in EmulationStation/ROMs, etc. So if someone is seriously interested to the point that they want to fully buy-in on this I can write a very detailed guide. A bit of fair warning, if you aren't comfortable in Linux, you might have a bit of a tough learning curve.
I'm very new to Linux, but I got a RPi for work recently to start getting used to Linux and found the start-up and configuration experience pretty straight forward. I actually bought the exact same kit from CanaKit. The WiFi was configured in the GUI with a few clicks. Is the RETROPIE setup a lot different than Raspbian?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm very new to Linux, but I got a RPi for work recently to start getting used to Linux and found the start-up and configuration experience pretty straight forward. I actually bought the exact same kit from CanaKit. The WiFi was configured in the GUI with a few clicks. Is the RETROPIE setup a lot different than Raspbian?
I didn't use any GUI, at least none was provided when I got it. I didn't really bother looking though to be honest since I find using the CLI much easier and faster for me. Retropie uses Raspbian OS i am pretty sure, you could probably launch a desktop session and use a GUI.

It's not really hard at all, just need to know what to do in certain situations.

I'll write it up later.

Crone

Noodle, just do it all for us, and sell the completed ROM kits? It's your new side business.
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodle, just do it all for us, and sell the completed ROM kits? It's your new side business.
smile.png
I did that for my brother in law. I wouldn't mind doing it for people here but it would probably be a basic vanilla thing that was just a copy of my SD card. Can't really fit a whole lot of games on that SD card beyond the 8/16-bit generation.

If only it wasn't illegal!

Crone

How does it connect with your TV? Through one of the USB ports?

Vorph

Raspberry Pi's have HDMI out (sound + video!)
If only they had toslink or coax out as well. Sadly even if you go up to a Chromebox you can't get anything but HDMI audio. FireTV has a toslink out, but it also has a whole bunch of other issues that make it less than ideal.

Crone

Raspberry Pi's have HDMI out (sound + video!)
Oh dang! that little thing has HDMI out! daammnnn! that's awesome. Should pick up the 2, and get you a bigger SD card, and load more PSX classics, and N64 games. yaaaa

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh dang! that little thing has HDMI out! daammnnn! that's awesome. Should pick up the 2, and get you a bigger SD card, and load more PSX classics, and N64 games. yaaaa
Yeah it's a nice thing. I got turned onto them when I used them in my computer engineering senior design classes for some crazy stuff with the state police.

I have a larger SD card in mine, they're so cheap now it's crazy. The PSX games and N64 games run "ok" on the 1.0, which I Have, so I haven't had hands-on with the 2.0 but have heard it plays them nicely.

It's an awesome party machine too. You just bust that thing out and watch people ejaculate in their pants.

Vorph

My problem is audio. Long story short, my audio hardware in the room that I want something like a RPi box is fairly high end but old enough that I can't deal with HDMI audio. It's got to be coaxial or optical digital. Replacing it isn't really an option, because it would be cheaper to keep the audio hardware and buy a micro PC that has SPDIF passthru built in.

I'm looking at the CuBox-i4Pro and CuBoxTV right now though, and I think one of those might solve my problems. They use ARMv7 instead of RPi so they're in the $110-140 range, but they support either Android or Linux for OS and have the toslink audio output that I need.

Crone

Yeah it's a nice thing. I got turned onto them when I used them in my computer engineering senior design classes for some crazy stuff with the state police.

I have a larger SD card in mine, they're so cheap now it's crazy. The PSX games and N64 games run "ok" on the 1.0, which I Have, so I haven't had hands-on with the 2.0 but have heard it plays them nicely.

It's an awesome party machine too. You just bust that thing out and watch people ejaculate in their pants.
Controllers just plug in via USB and you are good to go? Take my money!