Engagement rings

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Probably the one and only time we'll ever agree on anything. But they marry women with fragile egos that need their self-esteem reinforced by their peers fawning over expensive baubles /shrug
I'm sure this is spoken from a true slayer of pelt

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Or a man that has a wife with a great sense of self worth, and an awesome financial sense. But sure, could go either way /shrug

Tenks

Lol I love the armchair psychologists that come out in droves in this thread.

OneofOne

Well yeah... How else can you explain the dire need/want of woman to posses INCREDIBLY overpriced hunks of carbon that serve no actual use? No practical use, no entertainment value - just nothing. I'm sure it has nothing to do with decades worth of cultural shaping and psychological tweaking by Da Beers.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
How in the blue fuck do you people spend thousands of dollars on something so completely and utterly useless?
'Cause every hot American chick expects one and will argue until blue in the face that it is far from useless. If you try and have a logical debate with them the smarter ones will try and use an analogy like "so art is useless too?" where you will point out that art is unique while diamonds mostly look the same, as well as the fact that art can appreciate in value and diamonds generally don't.. Once you out-logic the smarter ones, they like the dumber ones will resort to invalid emotional statements such as "it's proof of your love for me" or play passive aggressive and simply accuse you of not loving them. Practical explanations such as the money is better spent on a house down payment results in her thinking you are a cheapskate or again you "don't really love her".

Despite the fact that I share the same sentiment, in reality if you make more than her she WILL end up spending far more than the ring's value throughout your marriage on equally frivolous and useless stuff. Between my family and friends, the stories of stupid useless shit that wives spend their husbands money on is legion. Accept the fact unless you marry a troll or the one in a million chicks that thinks practically, a ring is pretty mandatory in the US and is just one item that preambles a lifetime of acquiring useless shit.

Tenks

Official set of items required to go on your soapbox rants about carbon and stupidity:

(a) Picture proof your wife is not a hobgoblin.
(b) Bank statements proving you had the money to buy an expensive ring and chose not to

OneofOne

You got me! Me wife is an uggo! Because of this she didn't want an expensive, useless ring. It makes total sense!
No wait, really, I'm just a broke hoe without two nickels to his name. I'm jealous of people who can afford to completely waste thousands of dollars on a ring =/ Fuck, any day now I expect it's going to rain and my cardboard box I call a home will deteriorate all around me!

Or, I just think it's fucking retarded to waste money on stupid shit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think you're cheap or have an ugly wife or are dirt poor or anything. I'm sure you are a perfectly average person, just like the rest of us. Hell, maybe you're above average!

I'm sure you spend money on something that is equally as overpriced relative to it's "true" value as seen through the eyes of any number of people. Your attempt to prove to us that you have a financially sound marriage and a wife with a sense of self worth, as if wanting a diamond or not has anything to do with it, just reeks of misplaced butthurt.

Congratulations on being married to the one woman in the world who wants absolutely nothing to do with shiny baubles and other things that possess no practical use and no entertainment value.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
'Cause every hot American chick expects one and will argue until blue in the face that it is far from useless. If you try and have a logical debate with them the smarter ones will try and use an analogy like "so art is useless too?" where you will point out that art is unique while diamonds mostly look the same, as well as the fact that art can appreciate in value and diamonds generally don't.. Once you out-logic the smarter ones, they like the dumber ones will resort to invalid emotional statements such as "it's proof of your love for me" or play passive aggressive and simply accuse you of not loving them. Practical explanations such as the money is better spent on a house down payment results in her thinking you are a cheapskate or again you "don't really love her".

Despite the fact that I share the same sentiment, in reality if you make more than her she WILL end up spending far more than the ring's value throughout your marriage on equally frivolous and useless stuff. Between my family and friends, the stories of stupid useless shit that wives spend their husbands money on is legion. Accept the fact unless you marry a troll or the one in a million chicks that thinks practically, a ring is pretty mandatory in the US and is just one item that preambles a lifetime of acquiring useless shit.
No woman is worth marrying that thinks they deserve/need a expensive ring. Blow thousands on a kick ass honeymoon to Fiji or the alps, not on a useless piece of carbon. The important thing about a engagement/wedding ring is the meaning and sentiment attached to it not the damn sparkliness of it of the price tag.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Why would anyone buy a Mercedez Benz over a Ford Taurus? The 3-5x as expensive Mercedes offers no extra practical functionality over the Taurus.

Some people like fancy jewelry, some like fancy cars, some like paying a high dollar hooker to piss on them. None of it makes rational financial sense, but if it makes people happy, so be it. I'd personally never spend 80 grand on a car but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to some people out there.

OneofOne

I don't think you're cheap or have an ugly wife or are dirt poor or anything. I'm sure you are a perfectly average person, just like the rest of us. Hell, maybe you're above average!

I'm sure you spend money on something that is equally as overpriced relative to it's "true" value as seen through the eyes of any number of people. Your attempt to prove to us that you have a financially sound marriage and a wife with a sense of self worth, as if wanting a diamond or not has anything to do with it, just reeks of misplaced butthurt.

Congratulations on being married to the one woman in the world who wants absolutely nothing to do with shiny baubles and other things that possess no practical use and no entertainment value.
You're correct in a sense. The underlying issue that really pisses me off is watching (currently) and reading (about the past) a company so thoroughly change cultural practices and expectations between a future man and wife for no other reason than profit. Then to further understand that diamonds aren't rare enough to justify their prices and that said company has a monopoly that intentionally restricts supply to keep prices high, makes it worse. But the thing that REALLY rustles my jimmies is that all this information is available for anyone who chooses to look. This isn't some great debated topic like global warming, GMOs, or the best movie of all time. This is factual information, which no one denies, available to everyone. And yet their marketing was and is so absolutely masterful that even in light of these facts (that no one disputes) people STILL pay out the ass for these things and (most) women still feel they need one. (And I'm not even getting into the 2 month salary BS, the "heirloom" scam, starting the trend of having men surprise woman with a proposal because men pick out larger stones than women, etc, etc.) It both saddens me and pisses me off that we fall for this shit. But don't take my word for it.

De Beers chairman Nicky Oppenheimer said it best: "diamonds are intrinsically worthless, except for the deep psychological need they fill."

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why would anyone buy a Mercedez Benz over a Ford Taurus? The 3-5x as expensive Mercedes offers no extra practical functionality over the Taurus.

Some people like fancy jewelry, some like fancy cars, some like paying a high dollar hooker to piss on them. None of it makes rational financial sense, but if it makes people happy, so be it. I'd personally never spend 80 grand on a car but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to some people out there.
Both the Mercedes and the Ford have uses to begin with, the Mercedes should be a better car all around on top of it. It's not really a fair comparison to a stone that isn't rare and has no uses other than bragging with it.

If mine wants a diamond ring, she only gets one she can wear through a hole in her clit.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
No woman is worth marrying that thinks they deserve/need a expensive ring. Blow thousands on a kick ass honeymoon to Fiji or the alps, not on a useless piece of carbon. The important thing about a engagement/wedding ring is the meaning and sentiment attached to it not the damn sparkliness of it of the price tag.
Stop making sense and preaching to the choir, we're talking about women here. I happen to like hot chicks with a good sense of style along with a modicum of intelligence, and I am telling you that 99% of the aforementioned female demographic EXPECT a ring whose value is commensurate with your salary. In my 40 years of life and countless dates/girlfriends, I can only remember a single attractive woman who thought a nice engagement ring was a waste of money, and to this day I'm still pretty certain she just said it to impress me. Do I think it sucks? Yeah. Do I think it's a waste of money? Yeah. Do I accept it as a price that has to be paid in order to get married to a chick that is considered desirable? Unfortunately yes..

PS: You can try to use your line that it's the sentiment and not the price tag, but in a woman's mind you spending a material amount of money relative to your income shows that she's "loved" and "important". Also, every chick looks at other chick's rings, just like she checks out her shoes, hair, etc.. When she sees a puny ass ring, particularly on a friend, she either snickers or feels compassion. She does not want her friends to think the same of her..

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You're correct in a sense. The underlying issue that really pisses me off is watching (currently) and reading (about the past) a company so thoroughly change cultural practices and expectations between a future man and wife for no other reason than profit. Then to further understand that diamonds aren't rare enough to justify their prices and that said company has a monopoly that intentionally restricts supply to keep prices high, makes it worse. But the thing that REALLY rustles my jimmies is that all this information is available for anyone who chooses to look. This isn't some great debated topic like global warming, GMOs, or the best movie of all time. This is factual information, which no one denies, available to everyone. And yet their marketing was and is so absolutely masterful that even in light of these facts (that no one disputes) people STILL pay out the ass for these things and (most) women still feel they need one. (And I'm not even getting into the 2 month salary BS, the "heirloom" scam, starting the trend of having men surprise woman with a proposal because men pick out larger stones than women, etc, etc.) It both saddens me and pisses me off that we fall for this shit. But don't take my word for it.

De Beers chairman Nicky Oppenheimer said it best: "diamonds are intrinsically worthless, except for the deep psychological need they fill."
Except were talking about marriage here, not what you would put up with so you can sport fuck for a year or two.

I mean in my checklist for marriage one of the requirements is not to have a irrational and insane view on extremely useless and frivolous objects. I dont care how fucking hot you are, your shit still stinks.

Myst

Peasant
Holy shit some of you guys are pathetic. God forbids someone makes a comfortable living and wishes to spoil his loved one, even though she never asked for anything extravagant. As much as my gf could care less about possessions (she devotes her life to charity), i know deep down inside, any woman would enjoy a diamond ring.

Call me old fashioned, but in my culture, a woman gets a diamond ring. That said, why are you idiots even in this thread if you don't believe in diamonds and the slavery of black children.