Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I keep getting the error ""Looks like something went wrong. For your protection, this transaction has been voided and your funds will be returned in 3-5 business days." whenever I try to purchase something.

From what other people said, looks like I will still get billed, then refunded. What a shitshow.
Oh yeah they've been having weird issues like that too. Also since they don't have a cart, you have to buy everything one by one, and if you buy too many it flags your card for fraudulent activity and blocks it.

But yeah Epic is totally looking into competing with Steam for real.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Oh yeah they've been having weird issues like that too. Also since they don't have a cart, you have to buy everything one by one, and if you buy too many it flags your card for fraudulent activity and blocks it.

Give them time and they'll get in touch with the local mom & pop Chinese restaurant to get a referral to their website designer. A shopping cart should follow soon after.

• 1Worf

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

It did it for me on the first attempted purchase, and I have never purchased anything from it before, so I have no idea what is going on

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Wonder if steam will do it

He's not being altruistic here. He's simply pointing out the only way to attack steam is to offer less features and charge less. If steam could charge less while still offering all its features, Epic wouldn't have anything--even as is, even with their cheap infrastructure allowing a reduced revenue take, they still have to use anti-consumer practices and limit competition just to garner some interest.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Give them time and they'll get in touch with the local mom & pop Chinese restaurant to get a referral to their website designer. A shopping cart should follow soon after.

Currently planned for another 6+ months out - Trello

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I bought Hades for full price 2 days before the $10 off sale and today they gave me a $10 refund even though I never asked for one.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I just got a $5 refund as well, I must have snagged it when it was $15 as the price fluctuated.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yay, great. Fluctuating prices. Now only to hear about the people who weren't so lucky and were charged more than what was asked.

Knowing Epic, it'll happen.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
He's not being altruistic here. He's simply pointing out the only way to attack steam is to offer less features and charge less*. If steam could charge less while still offering all its features, Epic wouldn't have anything--even as is, even with their cheap infrastructure allowing a reduced revenue take, they still have to use anti-consumer practices and limit competition just to garner some interest.

*and to ride out the narrow margin siege and hope Steam flinches before Epic's money runs out.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got Hades for $7 before the price shenanigans, nice to come out on the winning side of one of these fiasco's.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I got Hades for $7 before the price shenanigans, nice to come out on the winning side of one of these fiasco's.
Yeah but you still had to install the Epic launcher so its not exactly the "Winning" side.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>
The title of this thread should really be changed. Epic Store is not slapping anyone with anything.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Amod Amod

Mick has the right idea. Requesting the thread be renamed to one of the following:

Epic Games Store - Your One Stop Shop For All Things Fail
Epic Games Store - How To Make Steam Look Great
Epic Games Store - How Low Can They Go?
Epic Games Store - How to fail at business 101
Epic Games Store - The Tim Sweeney Experience
Epic Games Store - Slapping Themselves With A Floppy Dildo

• 3Like
  • 2Worf

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How about...

Epic Games Store - Cheaper games and the Developer gets a bigger cut

But I get it... why be truthful, when the clever or humorous zingers are right there? The funnies and gotcha's are what really matters, right? We don't want no competition! Give us Walmart, McDonald's, and Steam!

• 2Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
How about...

Epic Games Store - Cheaper games and the Developer gets a bigger cut

But I get it... why be truthful, when the clever or humorous zingers are right there? The funnies and gotcha's are what really matters, right? We don't want no competition! Give us Walmart, McDonald's, and Steam!

Because it wouldn't be truthful and would be completely glossing over all the glaring problems the "platform" has. You want it to be a truthful title? How about one of these:

Epic Games Store - Less Features Than a Pantheon Update
Epic Games Store - An Endless Series of Incompetent Missteps
Epic Games Store - Buying Their Way Into Failure
Epic Games Store - Less Of A Cut, Less Features, Less Support, Less Integrity, Less Understanding Of The Industry, Less, Less, Less, Less, Less
Epic Games Store - It's Good Enough For The Idiots

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't view gog or green man or amazon in a negative light but I do view epic in one. And green man is probably involved in digital theft. They seem shady with keys.

Their market strategy relies on large part in fanboism and having money to burn for a while. That's not likely to result in either a comparable product or sustainable competition.

Like I've said before though, if you're a game dev with a weak to average product, you d be foolish to not take their money. For now this is a free marketing campaign. That won't last very long, but for now it's true.

Epic isn't competing with steam, they're competing with subsections of steam.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Epic Games Store - We Make EA Look Ethical
Epic Games Store - Totally Not Controlled By The Chinese (Honest)
Epic Games Store - A Smaller Cut Of A Tiny Pie
Epic Games Store - So Bad We Need to Pay For it
Epic Games Store - Why Won't You Love Me?
Epic Games Store - Shopping Carts Are Too Advanced For Us
Epic Games Store - Please Forget Our Long History Of Shitting On PC Gaming

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users