Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Does Epic even have 25 exclusives?? Wow, you are such a whiney bitch.

Picks an argument and gets refuted, all the while never actually understanding what he was arguing against, or the stance of the person he was arguing with. until he just starts slinging shit. Yet I'm the whiny bitch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Steam has just as much (probably MORE) ability to get exclusives on their platform if they want to do what it takes to get them. Just because you don't like the version of competition going on, doesn't mean there isn't any.
My apologies.

It's competing in literally the most anti-consumer way possible, that only leads to more piracy due to strong arming consumers into using a feature poor storefront.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
My apologies.

It's competing in literally the most anti-consumer way possible, that only leads to more piracy due to strong arming consumers into using a feature poor storefront.
And if it does lead to more piracy (and I have no reason to believe it won't) to the point that publishers / developers feel it financially, you'll see them abandon the practice. Until then, enjoy your new marketplace.

• 1MegaNeg
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
And if it does lead to more piracy (and I have no reason to believe it won't) to the point that publishers / developers feel it financially, you'll see them abandon the practice. Until then, enjoy your new marketplace.

Nah mate, I'd rather not use it and laugh at everyone who does. Casuals not caring about where they buy shit is just par for the course, they generally ruin most hobbies through a lack of care.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Nah mate, I'd rather not use it and laugh at everyone who does. Casuals not caring about where they buy shit is just par for the course, they generally ruin most hobbies through a lack of care.
They also are the ones who generally make hobbies commercially viable. You aren't getting AAA titles on the pocketbooks of neckbeards.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

We don't need to enjoy that marketplace because it's already crashing and we have a far superior one that actually values its customers. We'll also get the enjoy the same games when they eventually get out of their exclusivity contracts and go onto Steam. Also, we get the advantage of pointing out how fucking hilarious Epic is failing in the process, and pointing and laughing at the self-loathing idiots that rise up to defend something so ridiculously unworthy of defense.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
We don't need to enjoy that marketplace because it's already crashing and we have a far superior one that actually values its customers. We'll also get the enjoy the same games when they eventually get out of their exclusivity contracts and go onto Steam. Also, we get the advantage of pointing out how fucking hilarious Epic is failing in the process, and pointing and laughing at the self-loathing idiots that rise up to defend something so ridiculously unworthy of defense.
Apathy is cool though. - Kaines 2019

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone arguing that what Epic is doing isn't anti-competitive and anti-consumer is wrong.

This isn't a loss leader situation, it is intentionally losing money to monopolize content and force consumers your way. Period.

If Steam wasn't already the big dick in the market, for all the right reasons by the way, you guys would be howling bloody murder.

If you want to endure that for your games, go for it. I'll bitch about it and pirate them and pray that this type of bullshit business practice doesn't get rewarded.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Anyone arguing that what Epic is doing isn't anti-competitive and anti-consumer is wrong.

This isn't a loss leader situation, it is intentionally losing money to monopolize content and force consumers your way. Period.

If Steam wasn't already the big dick in the market, for all the right reasons by the way, you guys would be howling bloody murder.

If you want to endure that for your games, go for it. I'll bitch about it and pirate them and pray that this type of bullshit business practice doesn't get rewarded.
ANY type of exclusivity is anti-competitive and anti-consumer. It's why companies DO IT. But people in this VERY THREAD have bought consoles for the exclusive games on them. People have bought Big Macs beause they didn't want hamburger_345134 from just a random burger place. Bought Air Jordans from Nike instead of generic sneaker_23234. But somehow Epic having exclusives is a bridge too far. Fuck all you hypocritical whiners.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've been taking advantage of the free monthly game, haven't played a single one yet but my library is already larger than steam lol. See... I'm not someone that really cares about the store, nor do I use any of the steam features and I've avoided linking games to steam. I just hate stores as platforms in general. I also make sure steam and epic games.. and origin and any others, never startup by default.

So I guess I'm a unique individual to not care where my entertainment comes from.

But epic giving me free shit is pretty cool and I may actually play some of them, also they give away free assets for ue4 development and I've been acquiring all that as well. Usually $100 worth of assets every month. Probably won't amount to much but it's cool to mess around with.

You all can claim Epic is failing but they are doing good in my book.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

ANY type of exclusivity is anti-competitive and anti-consumer. It's why companies DO IT. But people in this VERY THREAD have bought consoles for the exclusive games on them. People have bought Big Macs beause they didn't want hamburger_345134 from just a random burger place. Bought Air Jordans from Nike instead of generic sneaker_23234. But somehow Epic having exclusives is a bridge too far. Fuck all you hypocritical whiners.

Give me a break. You are just being argumentative. You are too intelligent to possibly think that the situation is similar in those cases.

Console exclusivity is certainly not good for consumers, but also involves a non-trivial cost for design, development, and licensing among other costs. In some cases it is not a sure thing that those costs are worth it. This is nothing like console exclusivity as there is no opportunity cost other than the massive anti-competitive payoff.

And don't even get me started on the hamburger and Air Jordan nonsense. Not only is the market so expansive as to make your argument irrelevant, but the number of similar, competitive products as well as ridiculous number of distributors makes the comparison silly on it's face.

Oh, and if Nike stopped selling their shoes anywhere but a single online application that had spyware, bad customer service, a terrible return policy, and was inferior across the board to Amazon and Walmart then you can bet your ass people would be bitching the same way.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Give me a break. You are just being argumentative. You are too intelligent to possibly think that the situation is similar in those cases.

Console exclusivity is certainly not good for consumers, but also involves a non-trivial cost for design, development, and licensing among other costs. In some cases it is not a sure thing that those costs are worth it. This is

And don't even get me started on the hamburger and Air Jordan nonsense. Not only is the market so expansive as to make your argument irrelevant, but the number of similar, competitive products as well as ridiculous number of distributors makes the comparison silly on it's face.

Oh, and if Nike stopped selling their shoes anywhere but a single online application that had spyware, bad customer service, a terrible return policy, and was inferior across the board to Amazon and Walmart then you can bet your ass people would be bitching the same way.

You seem to be implying there aren't as many different games to choose from as there are shoes. Games are everywhere and numerous, not buying from a particular store won't really matter. The gaming market is super saturated.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

You seem to be implying there aren't as many different games to choose from as there are shoes. Games are everywhere and numerous, not buying from a particular store won't really matter. The gaming market is super saturated.

This argument comparing games to consumer goods like hamburgers and shoes is fucking retarded. Just stop it. I humored the argument for one post and I won't any longer. They are not similar markets in the slightest.

The real comparison is to music or movies.

It is like Disney taking all their content and moving it to Disney+. It is super anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Right now people are okay with the idea because it is only $6.99, but just wait until they start falling behind on updating, say, the iOS app slower than the Android app. A giant shitstorm will ensure and rightfully so. Same thing if the price starts increasing for no good reason. That's the whole fucking point.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
This argument comparing games to consumer goods like hamburgers and shoes is fucking retarded. Just stop it. I humored the argument for one post and I won't any longer. They are not similar markets in the slightest.

The real comparison is to music or movies.

It is like Disney taking all their content and moving it to Disney+. It is super anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Right now people are okay with the idea because it is only $6.99, but just wait until they start falling behind on updating, say, the iOS app slower than the Android app. A giant shitstorm will ensure and rightfully so. Same thing if the price starts increasing for no good reason. That's the whole fucking point.

What price increase? The games would cost the same if they had exclusivity or if they didn't the PUBLISHERS set the price, not the platform. And Netflix has NUMEROUS exclusivity deals to deny other steaming platforms content AND regularly up their prices and people STILL love the thing. Your entire arguments are hypocritial and intellectually dishonest in the grand scheme of corporate marketing and fights for market share. Micrsoft, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Activision have all done similar and WORSE things with their content, and people still are first in line to bow to their corporate overlords. So take your self-righteous faggotry over Epic and shove it up your ass.

• 1Salty