Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you're a game dev, I'd advise you to take your money while the money is there for the taking. But get paid up front.

I still don't see any reason for a consumer to consider this a better option. It's a demonstrably worse option.
They don't pay up front. According to the stuff that leaked out and what some indie devs making a futile effort to defend themselves on twitter said, the deals they offer just guarantee a certain number of sales.

Goonsquad Officer
They don't pay up front. According to the stuff that leaked out and what some indie devs making a futile effort to defend themselves on twitter said, the deals they offer just guarantee a certain number of sales.
Do you have a link for that? On the surface it Sounds like epic is functioning as a sales i insurance ? heh

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
More anti-Epic stuff.

Twitter thread:

The Rocket League Linux client is also going in the dumpster due to Epic. It might not affect a lot of people but these are legitimate cases of Epic purchases fucking over consumers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do you have a link for that? On the surface it Sounds like epic is functioning as a sales i insurance ? heh
In a rush to head out today, so this was the only link talking about it I could find immediately:
It was done in more detail in either a YongYea or The Quartering video iirc, but that's harder to do a quick search for.

spronk

FPS noob

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Satisfactory is still my favorite game on their store, and really want to get Hades after Hatorade Hatorade wrote up a post about it a while back.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hades is 6.99. Definitely worth it.
Was only showing a 2euros drop earlier maybe they fixed that.

Subnautica 2(or 1.5 or whatever the new one is) is 6.79euros also during the sale, still early access but probably won't drop lower than that until several months after release, if ever, so considering buying it now.

Edit: They did fix it, earlier it was showing basically no -10euro bonus so it was kinda eh, but with the 10euros I bought it, doubt it'll go much lower than 6.60 euros even long after it releases. Now just need early access to be over.

Overall the Epic sale seems pretty strong with the flat 10bucks, works on preorders too so it's not bad at all. There are however very few games on there that I'm interested in, but that's a good starting sale, although I feel that -10bucks per game shit is basically Epic money hatting for advertising and they won't run this shit again later on, and outside that, the sale looks pretty disapointing.

Last edited:

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
This years E3 PC conference is sponsored by Epic. Showcasing among other things, more upcoming exclusives. Also upgrades to their store (which they really need since it is VERY sub par compared to Steam)

Also pretty sure Ubisoft will end up using Epic for a long time. People use Uplay instead of the Epic store. They mentioned on Dropped Frames this week that Ubisoft said that they ended up selling 10x the amount of PC copies of Division 2 from Uplay compared to Division 1. Same with additional sales from Anno on Uplay (I bought it directly from Uplay) compared to games also shared on Steam. Can certainly understand them going to Epic if the above info is true and they get $2 million + 10x the usual amount of users to their own store.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems like Supergiant games decided to increase the price of their game mid sale, which is pretty much illegal everywhere in Europe, so it's now 5bucks more expensive(with varied adjustment depending on region I guess, it's 6.30 euros more expensive now than when I bought it a few hours ago). Also a few games were removed due to lack of foresight with the -10$ being a flat amount even through regional pricing, so apparently for example you could preorder Vampire The Masquerade 2 for 15bucks with a russian VPN.

• 1Worf

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Seems like Supergiant games decided to increase the price of their game mid sale, which is pretty much illegal everywhere in Europe, so it's now 5bucks more expensive(with varied adjustment depending on region I guess, it's 6.30 euros more expensive now than when I bought it a few hours ago). Also a few games were removed due to lack of foresight with the -10$ being a flat amount even through regional pricing, so apparently for example you could preorder Vampire The Masquerade 2 for 15bucks with a russian VPN.

Welcome to the game industry Epic.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh and they took it back down a few hours later apparently, so it's now 20bucks base again(so 10 with the sale), but they said they'll increase it again once the sale is over. Still more than what I paid for it during the early days though.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Snagged Satisfactory for 20 bucks. I blew almost 8 hours on this day 1.

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I got lucky and got Hades for 9.99 before they flipped the price back, woot!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
This years E3 PC conference is sponsored by Epic. Showcasing among other things, more upcoming exclusives. Also upgrades to their store (which they really need since it is VERY sub par compared to Steam)
I can't wait to see someone from Epic get up on stage at E3 to bring us the bold announcement that their store is going to have a shopping cart. Revolutionize the industry!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In a rush to head out today, so this was the only link talking about it I could find immediately:
It was done in more detail in either a YongYea or The Quartering video iirc, but that's harder to do a quick search for.

and just like that, a game i've been absolutely salivating over got bumped to the 'probably never going to play' category.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme

This is a complete cluster fuck.

• 1Worf

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I keep getting the error ""Looks like something went wrong. For your protection, this transaction has been voided and your funds will be returned in 3-5 business days." whenever I try to purchase something.

From what other people said, looks like I will still get billed, then refunded. What a shitshow.