EQ Classic? Not really.

Ames_sl

shitlord
Hoes love a bro with a jetpack. It's a total poon magnet. I'll be flying around on my jetpack getting handjobs in space by a petite asian women while you are wiping to naggy with 40 people.

Nobody_sl

shitlord
With the way the current online game market is, there are probably more people willing to play older games like this than you imagine.

Not that I'm not watching a few indie projects but mainstream AAA mmo's hold no interest to me at this point in time.
This. There's stuff on the horizon (always), but most of the games nowadays are da poo poo WoW clones with the exceptions of EvE (Too spreadsheety) or a handful of failing sandbox attempts (A for effort).

Back to the topic, can someone explain to me how this EQ Classic business is better in someway to something like, P99? Maybe I just can't appreciate all the technical server stuff he's excited about.

Some of the things mentioned were Midi music / ambient music in cities / spell bolts / forced spell book meditation / in game message boards/ humans blind at night / the original and Velious UI, etc.

There are too many differences to list entirely here, but they go into great depth on the EQClassic forums.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Back to the topic, can someone explain to me how this EQ Classic business is better in someway to something like, P99? Maybe I just can't appreciate all the technical server stuff he's excited about.
There are a great number of things that EQemu, as good as it is in some respects, will never be able to do because they've built it towards a client version that has done away with some concepts (like the things Flunklesnarkin listed) or has features that people don't want (like item links, for example). I know that P99 has shoved in a DLL that blocks some of the unwanted client functionality like maps, but I was never really OK with running some unknown DLL from them that did god-knows-what. At some point, they were searching your computer for SEQ and whatnot, and I don't care about that, but nothing is stopping them from searching for/obtaining other things, and that worries (well, worried) me a bit.

I'd rather be able to use an unmodified Velious client, at least, and that looks like what Yeahlight and co. are going for. We know what to expect that way and there's none of this fiddling that P99 has to do to make the game more like it was.

You'd figure, but the prospect of server admin corruption also isn't as prevalent in games with subscriptions.
Even original EQ had tons of corruption. If you knew the right people you could get all kinds of favors. Free AAs, server transfers before they were even available to the public, and lots, lots more. It really takes a huge effort to prevent corruption. Powerless GMs is a good step.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Is there any news on how long its going to be until its released. I know that Yeahlight has other more important shit to do. So do we all. But with that being said I can't look at the forums and just keep waiting its been over 3 1/2 years since ive been following eqclassic project and nothing has been released.

Is there any news on how long its going to be until its released. I know that Yeahlight has other more important shit to do. So do we all. But with that being said I can't look at the forums and just keep waiting its been over 3 1/2 years since ive been following eqclassic project and nothing has been released.
Yeahlight mentioned something on EQClassic about his work load being less now that he is out of school or something like that. It's posted over there somewhere.

The pace of revisions on the project has increased a lot in recent months though.

They even started handing out "auditor" passes for some people to test out EQClassic content.

Auditor basically being a beta tester where the dev actually listens to the feed back. Most people who "beta test" a game these days don't actually provide any useful feedback to developers. I think he was trying to create a distinction that he wants feedback by using the word auditor instead of "beta tester".

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Yeahlight mentioned something on EQClassic about his work load being less now that he is out of school or something like that. It's posted over there somewhere.

The pace of revisions on the project has increased a lot in recent months though.

They even started handing out "auditor" passes for some people to test out EQClassic content.

Auditor basically being a beta tester where the dev actually listens to the feed back. Most people who "beta test" a game these days don't actually provide any useful feedback to developers. I think he was trying to create a distinction that he wants feedback by using the word auditor instead of "beta tester".
This is a good thing- I think that Yeahlights recreation of the Everquest Game will be GROUNDBREAKING if he can actually get it done before people start to lose interest. I look at the roadmap now and it says as of Sept 6th and there is a bunch of stuff at 99%+ but still some work to be done. If i had the money I would just pay Yeahlight to sit on his ass and get it done. But I know it takes time- and time is money. My life would absolutely change is the server was announced for January 1st release or something haha.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
yeah most believe it to be vaporware, with the last roadmap update as a final last attempt at milking after the forum was basically dead for months/years.

yeah most believe it to be vaporware, with the last roadmap update as a final last attempt at milking after the forum was basically dead for months/years.
Here is some of the more recent work on the vaporware

3D pathing that isn't all screwed up.

Explanation from Yeahlight

You may want to crank the volume down for this video!

Although the client is chugging during this ordeal, the zone does not fall behind with 4,950 NPCs frantically running about (these algorithms are not even optimized yet). Unfortunately, the Trilogy client has a cap of 5,000 entity IDs, so we cannot push the client beyond this amount, which is a shame because the zone can obviously take more abuse (a single physical core in an 18-month-old CPU was only experiencing 65% utilization).

If you are not impressed, you should be, because the communication costs (frenzy agro checks, social agro checks, heal checks, etc.) of 4,950 NPCs in a single, small zone is above and beyond that of 30,000+ NPCs spread across 120 different zones (these costs grow exponentially).

Swagdaddy

Maybe 2 years ago I would endorse white knighting EQClassic.

But yeah it's been way too long, like most I believe it's vaporware.

I'm not here to change your mind on it being "vaporware" or not.

It has been in development for a long time for sure and you may have grown tired of following the project.

To claim that it's forums or development is dead is wrong though. (which is what calling something vaporware means to me)

There have been steady updates and revisions every month for the past few years and an increased pace in the last 6 months or so.

So while you may have given up on the project because EQClassic decided to take it's time to get it right, many others have not.

I also have the feeling you are not interested in actual facts as much as detracting from the project as a whole because you are invested in EQEmu.

Here are some website traffic statistics.

http://www.eqclassic.org/stats.php

If anything it shows a steady increase in interest for the project over time.

INB4 unsupported claims of bots >_>

Swagdaddy

Vaporware means the project is never going to be released, and generally is just a way for a guy to get money while fucking around with EQemu code for shits and giggles.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
What's with all the white knighting man? Yeah the project looks good but no one is going to trust Yeahlight until he lets other people try it out too. He's been working on this stuff for too long to not let anyone test it. Showing videos is great but it's not enough.

I'm merely trying to provide accurate information on the project.

The length of its development is a criticism of the project and I can respect people not caring to follow it.

I created this thread to do away with some of the false assumptions out there like this idea that EQClassic is somehow soaking up money from suckers.

He has started to allow people to test content now also with what he calls "auditor passes"

Swagdaddy

Ah you run the donation handling for the site eh?

I'm sure 100% of the donations went to Autism awareness and since the roadmap shows almost all 95% + we will be seeing EQClassic very soon!

rolleyes.png

rolleyes.png

rolleyes.png

Swagdaddy

He could prove instantly it's not fake by having a handful of people fuck around with it for like a week and verify it even exist.

Wonder why they won't do that and just allow everyone to keep believing it's vaporware?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I check on this every few months, the pathing in that video looks better than the pathing in real Everquest. I'm psyched for it to come out so we can all go back to waking up at 4am to kill Lady Vox old-school style.

I'm not sure whether you are suggesting he should open his code up for others to look at (which I highly doubt he would do) or that he just host a server temporarily to show progress. There does appear to be a forum section on the site where you can request to review code snippets though.

It's something you could ask him on the EQClassic site if you are interested. I could see some obvious downsides with doing a demo on incomplete or inaccurate code though. Namely bad press for anything incomplete and what would it accomplish in the end. Detractors to the project would continue to find reasons to hate.

It doesn't appear that Yeahlight is trying to promote his project to any great extent either because it has taken a long time to get to this stage of development.

As a side note, I did do some research on the term vaporware, an interesting reading here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled. Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking."

Now you could obviously point to the second part being months or years but there is a key distinction, there are development details posted regularly.

Ultimately, I find the discussion of just what classic EQ entails more entertaining than playing on inaccurate "close enough" classic servers. It may not be so for you, but that is your choice. Your assertion that this project is vaporware is noted and I doubt you posting it a dozen more times will provide any new information to this project. If you have any specific EQ related topics to discuss I'll do what I can to answer your questions. However, if your only purpose in posting here is to be vaguely negative about the project I don't see the point in responding.

Once again, the purpose of this thread is to provide accurate information on the project and discuss just what classic EQ is.