EQ Classic? Not really.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
EQClassic has never taken a single donation.
Not true. Yeahlight collected donations for an Autism related charity a few years ago. Those who donated at the time are the forum members tagged as EQClassic Supporters. This was after openly refusing numerous offers of donations to facilitate the work they had been doing on the game. Obviously this isn't the same as a person lining their own pockets with donations, but when it comes right down to it no one can really say one way or the other what really happened with that money. Personally I give him the benefit of the doubt. He gives away a $25 Amazon gift card every month to the forum member who gains the most board rep. I assume the money for that comes from his own pocket.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
He's quite a pal to talk to when answering questions. Also, given the insane amount of work I've seen put forward... if you're trying to scam people you don't need to do all that.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
He's quite a pal to talk to when answering questions. Also, given the insane amount of work I've seen put forward... if you're trying to scam people you don't need to do all that.
This is true. He could just scam the fuck out of you like rogean does to his players.
oooohh burn

Not true. Yeahlight collected donations for an Autism related charity a few years ago. Those who donated at the time are the forum members tagged as EQClassic Supporters. This was after openly refusing numerous offers of donations to facilitate the work they had been doing on the game. Obviously this isn't the same as a person lining their own pockets with donations, but when it comes right down to it no one can really say one way or the other what really happened with that money. Personally I give him the benefit of the doubt. He gives away a $25 Amazon gift card every month to the forum member who gains the most board rep. I assume the money for that comes from his own pocket.
Even if you were to take the stance that gathering donations for another charity / project was somehow accepting donations for your project, I still wouldn't consider it this an accurate statement " Yeahlight is lining his pockets with suckers money"

Who knows, maybe it was an elaborate attempt to get money for the project, I can't prove otherwise. I just assume there would have been an easier way to get money. Namely just accepting it outright as people were willing to give directly to him and he refused multiple times and still refusing any donations to this day.

I also doubt that he would go out an commit a felony just to acquire money he could have easily received without committing the felony.

My point remains the same though, saying that EQClassic accepted donations is really semantics. EQClassic gathered donations for another charity would be more accurate but the project itself never accepted donations and Yeahlight certainly isn't lining his pockets every chance he gets.

I'm not even really sure why this is a huge issue when many of the other classic EQ emulated servers outright collect money and provide no information back either. It wouldn't affect my opinion of the project if it did decide to start collecting donations either.

When I started this thread I thought we'd be discussing everquest, not whether or not collecting money for charity was considered "accepting donations" for this project lol

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
There's very little to talk about when it comes to EQClassic itself. I mean, how many years has it been, and... we're still talking about it, not playing it. Frustration is clearly understandable.

Also, if you didn't think someone was going to raise this... come on. You must have known.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Ok off topic but some of the blame is from Sony itself. I mean don't get me wrong it's been 13 years and they still have yet to give us a true classic server. 13 YEARS of people paying monthly subscriptions and tons of merchandise sold. You can't tell me they can't afford 1 fucking server after the 13 years of support from their fanbase. It all boils down to "Sony not wanting to accept that their expansions are shit and verants kicked ass." plain and simple.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Their FTP wet dream doesn't allow for a restored to classic state server. It's a miracle they're still floating Al'Kabor.

This was from the EQ blog last month after Tyen started that rumor about a new classic server in Jan.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/in...nuary-15.1291/

"Ok first off it is not. Removing one single quest can kill the entire game. This is proven over and over when you work with the earliest source code over on [something not to be discussed]. Several times I would change or remove an old quest or even just move or remove the NPC from the zone and the zone would crash or not load properly. You have to go back into the code and fix the borken strings and pointers.

The Original EQ code, as far back as we have it is the penultimate spaggetti code, there are litteraly tens of thousands of lines of orphan code that has been piecemealed and changed over the decade by litteraly hundreds of people, miuch of which has no notations or refrences after the 7th or 8th coder has changed that section over the years.

The original code does not exist, even working with the original floppys I got in August of 1998, we still have been unable to put together a working build for Everquest MArch 16th, 1999. What you see coming out of servers like [something else not to be discussed] and others is the result of hundreds of manhours of hand inputing much of the old game back into the code, a very long and expensive process, that stuff just doesnt exist anymore."

It sounds like the code exists, but it would be too much of a hassle for them to go through it and untangle it with no guarantee of it actually being classic. In short, too much effort for their bottom line since EQ is now FTP anyways.

lindz

#DDs
A classic server wouldn't need to be F2P tho. TONS of people would pay to play on a real classic server. I mean jeez, me and the husband had like... 18? accounts running on the last progression server.

It honestly doesn't make sense that they haven't just put in the man hours at this point. It would make them money.

I thought it would be cool if Yeahlight worked something out with SoE to become an official host or something when its all said and done. I'm not sure how SoE would handle the request, but I doubt SoE would even consider it or Yeahlight risk bringing up the topic for fear of legal reprisal especially after the years of work he has put into it.

I don't think the wishes of the classic community factor in very much to SoE's business model.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Original EQ code, as far back as we have it is the penultimate spaggetti code, there are litteraly tens of thousands of lines of orphan code that has been piecemealed and changed over the decade by litteraly hundreds of people, miuch of which has no notations or refrences after the 7th or 8th coder has changed that section over the years.
I know that this is just a quote but there are a hilarious amount of typos in this sentence. Also funny use of penultimate with no reference to what the ultimate spaghetti code would be.

The community relations guy was actually posting that it doesn't exist via that link, his name is in red. (that quote isn't from him, idk if that quote was from any official SoE guy)

That is if you can believe the community relations guy. That post seemed like the longest one on the thread that might have made sense.

Community Relations guy named Piestro over there.

"This rumor is getting posted all over, some folks seem pretty interested in pushing it. Same folks seem to have a submission form for personal information. Makes me suspicious.

The "original code" is a never going to happen idea, it wouldn't work now anyways. Literally wouldn't work, you couldn't get a client to connect to it or a server to run it."

I'm more inclined to believe "impossible" should be replaced with not practical for their business.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
The guy who's quote it was had his post edited by Piestro, so I wasn't sure who worded it. I actually think I've played with the OP before. Iksar monk I want to say? I've been playing this game for way too fucking long.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
BTW Flunk, I really appreciate your updates on EQ Classic. I think this release is about the only thing that I would consider putting any serious gaming time into in the next 5 years. Your posts are about the only visibility into it that I have (I don't care to research it myself).

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
As fun as classic Everquest is, it could never be on Sony's servers, P99 could barely handle 700 people without shitting up the server. If it had an actual real backing, the top end would be such a cluster fuck I don't even want to think about it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
In short, too much effort for their bottom line since EQ is now FTP anyways.
No Smed's just bullshiting. The progression servers aren't FTP they are PTP. SOE could make a classic server if they had the will but they don't.

That said - with respect to EQClassic you have to have progression you can't be stuck in velious forever. You should progress through Darkhollow and then restart. SOE missed the boat they should be introducing new progression servers every two years.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They tried to do that Quarm reset server. Never got finished.

To be fair, making the modern connection process and all the pay to play bag&AA stuff would be a lot of work. Not to mention, making other current things in game compatible that I can't even begin to list would just be insane.

It'd make money but I'm not sure if it's completely worth the time and resources they'd have to invest.

I really don't think 10k+ would come around for it.

But why go through all the trouble to make it a server you log into from the current server select? Just hook up all the old shit and run it like it was implemented the first time. They should just do an EQMac style deal with it, but for PC and Mac can come up with the connect hack or people can run dual OS this time. I'd buy the classic trilogy from them again. The "hardest part" of doing all this would just be to get it tied into a station account log in.

We really don't want anything fancy... and the more it works like the old version, the better.