EQ Classic? Not really.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Axe, I'm not sure where you heard that, but you're wrong.

It was by far the closest thing I've ever experienced to "classic" EQ as far as the Mechanics go. It was quite an experience.
I doubt that YL is going to completely throw in the towel at this point. He may wash his hands of "EQ Classic", leaving it to Harakiri to complete, but he can take the coded work and begin designing a custom server. Kind of the original game plan ever since he first opened the Beta. He told me in private his long term goal of making a custom content server because he doesn't see a realistic long-time life for only EQ + 2 expansions.

He figured with a truly custom server, he could stretch it out for 10 years if he plans it well.
Time will tell what happens though. I'm disappointed, but not devastated. Realistically, I just don't have time to play this game like I did when I was younger. Plus, I have a massive back log of other games that I'd like to play and this would really bog that down.

Word

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just don't understand howanyonecan throw away five years worth of work.

Interested to hear what Nirgon has to say...

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord

No one would and certainly not over some guys on the internet sending mean emails and PMs. It's phony BS. We are all adults, why not at least treat the people who have been following this project for YEARS with a little respect and be honest about why this is shutting down?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

As Mesen said, it's a BS excuse. He obviously did everything he could on his own, then he hit a wall somewhere. Who knows what it was. But he had the hope that Sony could bail him out and he would partner with them, and run the server--they refused. Rather than admit he just couldn't finish it, or he had X huge problem--he says "if it can't be perfect, I'm going to do this crazy thing that I know will piss you off"--and then proceeds to use that as the excuse to bail on "ungrateful assholes".

It was a play to bow out with as much sympathy as possible, that's all. It was just dumb because I think he'd have gotten tons of sympathy if he would have just said "I've hit a huge problem, and can't finish. Sorry guys. I asked Sony for help but they declined, so I think it's done.".

Ryoz

<Donor>
I've had some chats with YL over the years. He's a smart guy, and pretty successful as well. Something feels off about this. He had to have thought this all through four years ago - that doing all this work without securing SoE's approval was a huge gamble and waste of time. Perhaps he's just a brilliant troll and we'll see these PMs pop up on tumblr, maybe he made thousands off of community donations, or maybe he just has to appear to be vehemently against proceeding but is secretly selling or giving his project to someone else to host?

axeman_sl

shitlord
The plebs at EQC are buying it hook, line and sinker. "Why couldn't we just shut up? Oh lawdy, we've brought it upon ourselves! How could we?!"

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
The plebs at EQC are buying it hook, like and sinker. "Why couldn't we just shut up? Oh lawdy, we've brought it upon ourselves! How could we?!"
posting with mascara running down their faces, "he hits me because he loves me!"

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
The plebs at EQC are buying it hook, like and sinker. "Why couldn't we just shut up? Oh lawdy, we've brought it upon ourselves! How could we?!"
Most of those sheep are absolutely pathetic suck-asses. It's funny because any time someone would doubt the project or even think about using the word vaporware the fanboys would destroy the poster. What a shame, a lot of us bought into the hype and were really looking forward to this too!

/thread?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Mods updating their sigs accordingly.

rrr_img_46773.png

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Shouldn't it say "Many ruined the EQC Dream for a few" according to Yeahlight post?

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Honestly, i'd like to apologize to all the people who have been calling this vaporware for the past few years. I am sorry i doubted you.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
As far as Deathryder changing his signature, he's always been a very emotional and unstable poster. It isn't a surprise.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Somewhere, someone is laying in the dark, slapping their own forehead saying"Stupid! Stupid! So stupid! Why couldn't they have just shut up! If they didn't call it Vaporware it would have launched!"as they listen to Air Supply, rocking themself to a tear-covered sleep clucthing years of Castersrealm and AllaKazam print outs in a Mountain Dew Code Red stained binder.

axeman_sl

shitlord
That community was always full of idiots. You could tell anytime someone tried to discuss anything Everquest-related. They're the sort of people who will insist that being a good player fixes the crappiness of the ranger class, or that the optimal group setup is "your friends." Bunch of gaming hippies who are afraid to have opinions because it might hurt the feelings of the other equally submissive toadies. Everyone who was actually good at Everquest went to play on P99 because there was actually a game to play there, and the ones who stayed behind were this meek flock of milquetoast yes-men who were too bad at EQ and too weak-willed to discuss anything meaningful. I'm actually not completely surprised that Yeahlight couldn't be arsed to do something for them, but I have no idea why it took him five years to come to that realization, and I have no sympathy for someone who isn't man enough to be honest about things like that.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
From p99 forums..

Guess I can post this now that he's completely gone. Yeahlight was a chronic liar up until the end.

He admitted a year ago that I wasn't the one who leaked their work. That was true, in the scenario in which I am regularly referenced by Harakiri and Yeahlight, I did not.

However, they used that as a public defamation technique as commonly demonstrated by Harakiri when he used his home IP to connect to these forums and say that I was the one who leaked their work.

That shit pushed me over the line several times. I was floored, I thought they could've been civil. These guys are people who you cannot trust, even if they entice you with "omg classic eq!"

Personally, I think the reason they shut down is due to that network bug they could never figure out coupled with the C&D, rejection from SOE (I've been to SOE's office, I can say without a doubt that the SOE EQ1/EQ2 team has no idea what P99 and EQC was/were up until my visit which was 3 months after Yeahlight's proposal...) and issues with DirectX7 support - It was being a general pain for debugging in realtime scenarios as well as working on 'client' PCs.

Coupled with the drama that the EQ community imposed on their egos.. whether it be Dark-Prince/Sp0tter's leak situation, the 'vaporware' argument, my own imposed drama on them after they shafted me, the general disdain their community projected... list goes on, really. It'd take a toll on anyone's mental state of mind if you don't ignore it.

That's where Rogean and Nilbog really shine; they do not care what players do, thus the server is kept with full integrity as they do not get involved with the community or even remotely close to a GM scenario. That level of transparency is what you want from a classic EQ server, not someone who takes an active stance. They feel less remorse about having to let someone go that's been with them forever because that person couldn't handle the idea of transparency, made bad rulings, etc. (See: GM drama in the past)

That is what makes this server great. This is why EQClassic would fail if it launched anyways. Everyone would be treated in the same manner that their forums are treating them. Do you really want that?

Yealight Quits: EQClassic Dead - Page 2 - Project 1999

a_gnoll_pup claims hes going to run with this (SecretsOTheP/Server · GitHub) now that YL has been downed and coined.

Whatever the fuck the above is..