EQ Classic? Not really.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I believe he said it won't be open source, but he will be gifting it to a party or parties who want to run servers.
That's one of the those things that a lot of people have assumed and in turn have repeated enough that it's gained the force of fact, which it doesn't truly have.

http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/view...gifting#p45778

Yeahlight_sl said:
No, we have no plans on distributing our work. I do not see how gifting 15,000+ hours of work benefits this community.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They're no longer accepting applications for this phase, but I implore you guys to apply. They will consider applications sent now for the next wave. This server is amazing!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man, those old models just really look sweet, like the orc and the skellies. They should of never fucked with any of those old models. Also the particle effects are so much better.

Naeadil_sl

shitlord
Man, those old models just really look sweet, like the orc and the skellies. They should of never fucked with any of those old models. Also the particle effects are so much better.
Totally agreed. Love this project.
biggrin.png

Dumar_sl

shitlord
On one hand, I'm so excited for this. And on the other, it's so very fucking depressing for this industry that the best MMO to come out since EQ Classic was... EQ.

Naeadil_sl

shitlord
I reckon theres a lot of rose coloured glasses.

Velious UI sucked. It was bloody terrible
I dunno, I kinda like being forced to play first person. If a good third person camera worked, I'd use it full time. The fact that there is no option for it I kind of enjoy. I guess it just makes it more immersive for me.

Having only one chat log is the thing that bugs me most, but casters don't have trouble with this, and melee can take steps to make it a bit better.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
YL putting in mad work.

At least you all know its not vapor ware.

I do love the classic UI, graphics, models.. everything.

We're playing for nostalgia, right?

Rhuobhe

N00b
First person is more immersive. Ive played wow thru swtor and my daughter never gave a shit about what was on the screen.

Now that im on P1999 she is fascinated with what is beyond the hallway, the people standing next to me or the giant spider wandering in the horizon

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
One of our testing points was ensuring that the F9 views and the camera returning to where it started if you panned around and let go of the mouse button.

People played in first person for a reason... and it was certainly immersive.

Mouse wheel to zoom out does not work in first person either.

I woke up to like 15-20 emails of "resolved issue" from their bug tracker. He touted his control over the software and the lack thereof at P99, but he can sure put his money where his mouth is when it comes to fixes and changes.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So how far away is this thing in reality to hit the streets? A mont, a few months, year?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'd say as soon as he's able and it gets the stamp of approval.

I don't see him releasing anything short of finished.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd say as soon as he's able and it gets the stamp of approval.

I don't see him releasing anything short of finished.
Indeed. By all accounts, this is the most well done emulated server already - by the time it gets released I bet you it's more bug-free than even original EQ was back in the day. Yeahlight seems to be thorough as one can possibly be.

I wouldn't imagine this server gets released until the end of the year, or close to it.