EQ Classic? Not really.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Long awaited update. YL posted this last night.
Well I have a suggestion for Yeahlight: make your own custom server, but also make a classic server using Project EQ's database.

I just checked out Project EQ's website yesterday, not knowing entirely what it was. It is in fact exactly what Yeahlight needs: he made the server code, they made the database. (or rather, are in the process of making) It's an open source classic EQ database project. I recall p99 devs saying that PEQ's database was incomplete-- well, with Yeahlight backing it, the project could get a lot of people to jump on board. If I knew for certain Yeahlight's classic server was going to happen, and PEQ was lead by a dedicated and competent project manger, and that I had other dedicated researchers working with me on other zones, then I'd be very eager to help out.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So if EQ Classic is dead what are the options for PvE Classic era emulators then? Are there any that aren't horrible - or is EQMac the only option?

kudos

<Banned>
So if EQ Classic is dead what are the options for PvE Classic era emulators then? Are there any that aren't horrible - or is EQMac the only option?
Some people that went to SOE convention said that there will be a new progression server in March or something. I guess wait until then.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
the last progression servers were kind of a bummer though. they left in too much of the later stuff.... my warrior skipped Crafted armor because the quest armor he got at level 10 was better... they left in a lot of newer tradeskill recipes, Cazic Thule 2.0 and Chardok 2.0, etc etc etc...

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Here's a long-awaited update from Yeahlight.
http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/view...hp?f=12&t=3886

Yeahlight_sl said:
In case you missed the announcement:

As some of you already know, I reached out to SoE in February with a partnership proposal, which exchanged full liability and monthly subscriptions for the rights to possess and distribute their intellectual property (IP). Although the deal was entirely in their favor (I would have essentially been an unpaid slave), they ultimately said no. I believe I have made it quite clear in the past how critical legitimate data is to me (there is no close; you either have it or you don't), so it should come as no surprise when I say I have zero interest in hosting a server without it. Plus, despite what so many others will have you believe, it is unlawful to distribute SoE's IP without their consent--you cannot argue against this.

The longer I am away from this project, the more excited I get about returning to it. Although I mentioned my motivation to create a completely original world was questionable, I am now anxious to jump into it. Everyone here certainly misses classic EverQuest, but I do not believe the classic EverQuest experience is achievable until you are thrown into a world you know nothing about.

The only type of server I am willing to be involved with is an original (custom) content server, but there are a few directions to go with this.

The simplest creation would use the classic EverQuest rules and be populated with original content (NPCs, items, quests and lore); nothing about the game's core would change.

I would prefer to take the customization a bit further, though. The number one thing I would like to change is the spell file. The spell file contains a majority of the game's spell data and it comes with the client software. Since the server does not distribute any spell data directly to the client, we have absolutely no room for customization, including adding new spells for NPCs or effects for items. Below are a few of the benefits an original spell file offers:

• Additional spell types
    Unique spell sets for each class
    End-game spell incentives
    Appropriate class spells for end-game NPCs
    Simplified stacking rules

Balancing the game around the existing spell file would be an obnoxious, daunting task. V.I. dropped the ball with hybrids and a custom spell file will go a long way in achieving balance between the classes. The existing spell file also limits the end-game reward potential for casters. Due to the absence in variety of end-game spells for PCs, end-game incentives for casters would remain as acquiring clickies and additional raw mana--/yawn. Also, end-game NPCs casting PC spells is an absolute joke.

A new spell file does not mean everything about casters has to change, either; the utility and expectations of each class can remain the same. Other than removing PC caps (weapon DMG, haste, mitigation AC, etc.), there is not much else I would plan on changing about the game. It would be nice to place experience into something other than levels, but I have not given this much thought yet.

I plan on returning around November and I am hoping we have everything squared away with the client software by January. The earliest we could start with custom content would be Q1 of 2014, so please use this time to offer your feedback, concerns or ideas of your own.

I understand that a custom content server is not what most people have been patiently following the project for, but I am either involved in this or nothing at all. No one is thrilled with our remaining options, so please spare us the complaints.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I have no complaint about him wanting to make a custom content game. My only issue is that it will take so long. It's also a bit of a downer when you do play custom content EQ servers because the zones are always the same and all the locations etc.. the only thing that changed is the way they are linked to each other, and mobs and content that goes in them. So its sort of half custom no matter how much effort you put in to it.

But I would love to play it anyway. I just expect it will be at least a year or two until they have anything worth playing.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's also a bit of a downer when you do play custom content EQ servers because the zones are always the same and all the locations etc.. the only thing that changed is the way they are linked to each other, and mobs and content that goes in them.
this

if you want a custom server to be truly interesting, then the content needs to be pretty well thought out and different from regular EQ.

i hope he does off the wall stuff, like turning North Freeport into a dungeon or something.
smile.png

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'd love to see the paladins vs. the militia ala live/dead sides of guk. Could have the dark elves playing a little part from their underground passes.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
this

if you want a custom server to be truly interesting, then the content needs to be pretty well thought out and different from regular EQ.

i hope he does off the wall stuff, like turning North Freeport into a dungeon or something.
smile.png
Shards of delays turned freeport into a mid 50 zone with a raid boss.

I feel like yeahlight is the worlds most successful troll.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We've debated making Greater Faydark into a rain forest type. Dense fog and very sunny. Then you could have a rain forest Aviak fortress in the form of Kelethin. With the Parrot looking Aviaks, not the standard Crow ones.

That would rule.

Zithax

Molten Core Raider
I've always loved the idea of a classic eq with same core mechanics but additional zones, utilizing unused zonelines (or in the case of the hallway behind froglok king, instead of zoning out, leading to a deeper zone with higher level mobs and loot etc). I wonder how hard, or if it is at all possible, to design new zones and implement them into the client for a custom server?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Designing all new zones is very difficult.

However, using any pre-existing zone is very possible. He can even use modern-day zones, but he wouldn't (legally) be able to host them. People would need to find them on their own.
What YL's done is pretty neat. He's already made it so that EVERY NPC in the game is available in any zone. He could sit a VP dragon in the middle of Freeport and it wouldn't be an issue. He just had to make it so that the NPC creature file was available for every zone. Back in classic, you were limited by which mobs were available in which zones. That's why the "old" Mayong Mistmoore looked like that guy in Plane of Hate. It just happened to be an unused NPC graphic in that zone.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
so eqclassic is never being released

color me surprised

vaporware gonna vape