EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

Zaide

TLP Idealist
They usually provide an official announcement for new progression servers pretty far in advance. At this point if we see anything progression related in March/April it would be them officially announcing new ones.

I think March 16th is the anniversary of EQ so I'd look for more info around that time if they're going to happen in 2014 at all.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Are you talking about Everquest or Everquest 2?
EQ1. Worked fine again staying afk and minimized today, it seems kinda random.

Anyhow, does anyone have an exp pot and raid gear bundle for Mage, Warrior, and/or Shaman on FV that they'd be willing to let me /testcopy over?

judor_sl

shitlord
/rant on

I kinda hope they adjust the test server to not allow all the expansions enabled and such.. I mean really, just pay the $15 to support the game you enjoy.

I think its kinda cheesy to just jump to the end or be perma running 300% exp bonus with all the stuff transferred over from FV. Hell i don't care if you even do that from FV, just support the game with a sub if your to cheap to purchase the expansions.

Support the products you enjoy..

/rant off

/rant on

I kinda hope they adjust the test server to not allow all the expansions enabled and such.. I mean really, just pay the $15 to support the game you enjoy.

I think its kinda cheesy to just jump to the end or be perma running 300% exp bonus with all the stuff transferred over from FV. Hell i don't care if you even do that from FV, just support the game with a sub if your to cheap to purchase the expansions.

/rant off
Cool dude. I did my first copies after having 3 100s on Test. How do you think raid copies are done? For free? Good ones cost upward of 3-5 Kronos or a million plat+ per character. Purchasing the krono to afford those copies supports SoE.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Additionally, you can support the product from test. SOE Store items cost money on Test (if you go that route, like I do), and many people do buy stuff for their characters there. Also, it is called Test server for a reason... it is the EQ playground for Devs to try stuff out. Also, not having things like Universal Chat for a week + or instances being down for days is awesome(sarcasm).

Anyway, this Mount has been beaten o death many times. Your argument is old and tired.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
/rant on

/rant off
Players on Test support the product more than any other players on any server. SoE makes it free to offset the many downsides of Test which we experience because we are "testing" new and often broken content. By testing the content before it hits live servers we are doing SoE and every single live player a huge service.Next time an expansion releases and you don't spend two weeks with every instance in the game being broken you can thank us for it because we sat through that bullshit so you wouldn't have to.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is going to be pretty hard to nail down an exact level, but the Melee DPS merc seem pretty under-powered till 85 or so. Then you also have to make sure you have Haste for them as well.

9 times out of 10, if you want dps, just take the Wizzy Merc. Doesn't have the buff requirements or the maintenance of the Rogue Merc, and it exceeds the Rogue mercs dps in many situations.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
So if one was to try to get back into EQ for a few months, where would be the ideal place to roll? Populated live servers, or the test server?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have not actually parsed it but it should be any level after they get reasonable skills like duel wield/double attack etc. So I'd say....maybe 40+?

Rogues eventually start using poisons and stuff too. I don't think there are parses that test your exact situation, but if you google there are tons of good info about merc parsing out there. Here is a starting point:Merc DPS parse fresh from Test server [Archive] - Monkly Business Forums

Having a "tank" merc set to "MT" will actually change his parse numbers because he starts using more tank oriented skills. But if you really want to know...test copy and try each merc on a testdummy for 5 min. Probably don't need more than that to get reasonable numbers.

Edit: I can confirm J1 rogue > dps than J1 tank at least...I use both.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
This has been covered a shit load but it all depends on your goals.

If you just want to play around, box/merc/solo then take the free test server with all expansions, all vet aa, and double xp. There is virtually no bazaar and unless you are in a guild or know people little grouping until you hit high level.

If you actually want to stick around, have a worthwhile bazaar, and maybe get back into high level grouping or raiding join a live server.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
So if one was to try to get back into EQ for a few months, where would be the ideal place to roll? Populated live servers, or the test server?
Depends on if you want to take the chance on them ending test being free and free expansions.

Big things changing at SoE in the coming couple of months. It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped the test free play.

All SoE membership accounts accounts (paid) will be All Access only, with the price for that being reduced to $14.99, for example :

SoE Membership - 2014 (Smed)

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Hopefully not!
EINoFmJ.png

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Test isn't about SOE or the players doing a favor for one side or the other. There is a mutual benefit to both.

For any business, having a group of consumers that you can trust to test you product, break it, and make suggestions is invaluable. Test is a different experience than a live server. People are less invested for the most part. People come and go. Hit it hard for a month, then disappear for a year. My interest in EQ wanes to the point that paying +$45 a month for multiple accounts is not realistic. Although I do enjoy playing when new content is released and report /bugs when I run into them. Big picture, I also have to believe that just simply playing there is useful to them as well. Whatever meta data they can collect on spell damage, class dps, failed scripting logs, etc has to be a major benefit to them to identify holes in their product.

The opportunity cost to SOE is pretty small in the scope of things. There are maybe a total of a few hundred accounts on Test that people would be willing to pay for. So really, they are missing out on maybe, maybe $3k-$5k a month revenue. If the free component goes away, the server becomes a ghost town used by internal developers only, which I'm sure already exists in some capacity. They certainly would be within their right to make Test player pay for their subscription, but it would be a "cut off your nose to spite your face" scenario.

Mystrak_sl

shitlord
Whoever plays Bowbie/zurkpuff/nurcro, you need the cash back you've spent on my vendor Namiyo?

Also, for anyone thinking of playing on test, I'm buying defiant gear and moving it over so I have pretty much all 60/70 sets except bps/legs and quite a bit of lower stuff I can give you as well as cash if you're broke on the live servers.

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Looking to get my hands on an Ancient Cloak of Flames if any has one to copy over. My name is Chupique, 100 SK. Greatly appreciated.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
TFO beat Meldrath tonight, now we're in the final raid zone of SoF. Time to kill Kerafyrm again!