EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the input Agraza. I felt last time my Ranger had grouped, which would have been early SoF, that necro pets seemed to be great tanks. In fact I believe the guy I was grouping with was a member of the forums here, one of the Hot Cheetos and Takis guys. I always heard about how amazing Mage pets were but rarely saw any, I suppose they were off doing their own thing and didn't have time for lowly Rangers slowing them down.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Mage pets did get a nerf, but I'm pretty sure it didn't actually change anything they could do, just make it a little edgier. Best verify that though.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Beastlord, Magician, and Necromancer pets (level 96-100) have had their base HP and AC reduced slightly. Halved the AC and HP advantage given to pets with the most basic focus (Enhanced Minion VII) and adjusted the later ranks accordingly. ----------- You can still molo 99% of all named in the game except the ones that shit out adds every 10%

Kaita

Golden Squire
I am having troubles playing eq on my new rig, When i get to the character select screen the game starts to shake and i cannot click on any of the buttons. It seems like a multicore issue. Currently running an AMD FX 8350
Anyone have any suggestions?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have any suggestions?
I would have thought multicore issues were fixed a long time ago. The only thing I know you can try to do is launch the game, then CNT+ALT+DEL to get to the Task Manager. Find EQ under the applications tab, right click "go to process". This should take you to the Processes tab and highlight the EQ.exe. Right click that and select "Set Affinity". You should be able to force the game to run on one core.

I am not convinced this is your problem, but at least you can rule out the multicore theory.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Also go and get WinEQ 2. Run the game from there. I believe there's some built in stuff there that helps push it to a single core.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
If you bypass the patcher you can auto set your affinity by creating a shortcut to the exe. Example:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "eqgame.exe" /affinity 6 "D:\EverQuest\eqgame.exe" patchme /login:yourloginname
Someone can probably explain the /affinity 6 bit better than I, but I run 3 instances of the game from different directories and have the affinity set to other slots for each.

Krozman

N00b
Mage pets did get a nerf, but I'm pretty sure it didn't actually change anything they could do, just make it a little edgier. Best verify that though.
The group game it shouldn't be noticeable. They had to fix it for the raid game b/c the pets were nearly unkillable.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got a couple questions, maybe you guys can help:

I quit EQ in 2004 and I'd like to have a look at the game once again, so I was wondering if my characters would still be available and where can I find info on what happened to spells/skills, game changes, etc. past 2004.
I used to play 2 accounts, but would likely use a single one this time around: how fast is levelling if I go solo? Asking because if it's vanillaEQ-like, I'd rather dust off some level 65, else I may even start a new character for shit and giggles.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Play a ranger so you can just headshot level if you're soloing. Every other class will require a group and there aren't any.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Every other class will require a group and there aren't any.
With mercs any class can solo to 65'ish using the tank merc. After 65, necros, rangers, mages (with a cleric merc), (and maybe more classes I just haven't played them?) can solo just fine the rest of the way up to 100. It is much faster/easier if you 2 box, but it's a matter of preference.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I got a couple questions, maybe you guys can help:

I quit EQ in 2004 and I'd like to have a look at the game once again, so I was wondering if my characters would still be available and where can I find info on what happened to spells/skills, game changes, etc. past 2004.
I used to play 2 accounts, but would likely use a single one this time around: how fast is levelling if I go solo? Asking because if it's vanillaEQ-like, I'd rather dust off some level 65, else I may even start a new character for shit and giggles.
http://almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/- This is probably the best guide. I used it to merc level my warrior to 85 with no real issues. The hole is insane for 65-73ish. Don't leave there without 5-600 AA.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you have haste and melee buffs, the Rogue merc will do more damage, but at the cost of more micro management and frustration. The Rogue mercs can be a bit of a hassle and will get themselves killed occasionally, while the Wizzy mercs are "set it and forget it". When it comes down to it, there are very few situations where you will find that you prefer a Rogue merc over the Wizard. It is not just about the numbers.

At the highend, both of them only do about 60% of the damage (or less) of an appropriately geared player.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/- This is probably the best guide. I used it to merc level my warrior to 85 with no real issues. The hole is insane for 65-73ish. Don't leave there without 5-600 AA.
Thanks everyone and thank you for the link, will have a look at it as soon as I can
smile.png

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Wizard mercs can cause Z axis aggro issues. If you're pulling from a floor below where you've stationed your dudes, the merc may attack early. Likewise the caster merc will cast through walls so if you are pulling around a corner they may get started before, and then it has aggro.

This is pretty easy to overcome, but if you pull while using a wizard merc you'll inevitably discover its misbehavior and have to change how you handle the merc or how you pull.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Me and a few friends did a few of the tier 3 RoF missions using both a wizard and rogue merc and parsed them to compare. Everyone was level 100. Over the course of 3 full clears, the wizard merc beat the rogue merc in every single situation (trash pulls, extended boss fights, etc). Group was shadowknight, enchanter, cleric, bard, wizard merc, rogue merc.

Even with level 100 bard haste and enchanter buffs, the rogue merc just can't keep up to the wizard's dps.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
even with the bard song that adds a melee proc? i remember that song boosting dps significantly on my monk. bard songs can boost up the wiz spells too which is probably better in that group setup.