EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For someone who has never played EQ before, assuming I follow proper guides and do some reading - how difficult would it be for me to catch up on Test and join some raiding guild? EQ is something I always wanted to experience but just sort of missed the boat on.

Edit: Should say, I have played it, but only a handful of characters into the 40's when the game originally launched (vanilla?)

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Freeport revamps were unforgivable.

East Commons and Nektulos didn't bother me. Lavastorm kinda sucked. Didn't love making Oasis and S Ro the same zone, but the feel isn't too different.

I assume that GF would be left alone because they'd have to A.) revamp Kelethin and B.) revamp the front of Felwithe. I assume just retexturing an area and pooping out some trees and huts takes a lot less work than redoing the cities.

darkko_sl

shitlord
Super easy to catch up on test.

1. Box 2 or 3 characters (do you have a class you want to raid with? If so, we can help you pair it with another class or two)
2. Ask for plat in Plane of Knowledge or from guild/friends. Don't be shy, people don't mind giving plat to people on test, especially new or returning players. People are always giving away equipment so you can try asking for some or just watch trade channels for free stuff.
3. With the plat, buy Mercs for all three characters. Tank mercs are the best at lower levels so get at least one tank and a healer. If you three box grab whatever else you want DPS or tank.
4. Go kill everything with the Mercs, don't stop.
5. Once you get up around 55-75ish there are some good spots to afk level/AA at night while you are sleeping.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Two mobs (a stone ward) at the bottom of the ramp/rock door in the Hole respawn like every 2mins. They green out at lvl 72 I think. I think from there some people afk lvl in Splitpaw.

darkko_sl

shitlord
55-60: park characters at temple in the Hole (iirc courtyard works well), you can position so you get static and roamers. Not amazing but you'll get xp.
60+ish the stone door at the bottom of the hole. Heavily camped, but if you can get a spot it's great afk xp. Place characters just inside door off to the side with one character in the middle of the tunnel. fast respawn, great xp and plat. Popular, so you will eventually get trained.
66-74ish (cant remember levels exactly) Splitpaw. Great afk spot and I never had a problem getting camp. Kill to the bridge, just past the second door. hop down into the little cave looking area that leads into a hallway. Park one character just outside the first door on the left and put the other two characters against the far wall across from the door, slightly in the cave area. Awesome afk xp and good plat. May be a good idea to kill the mobs in the area to space out respawns due to a decent amount of roamers. Occasionally, I would come back dead but I would have max 30AA.
Another area in Paw is the first camp when you enter with the two rooms. This is usually camped. Place one character between two rooms and put other two characters in each of the other rooms.

There are other areas, but I can't remember atm.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Super easy to catch up on test.

1. Box 2 or 3 characters (do you have a class you want to raid with? If so, we can help you pair it with another class or two)
2. Ask for plat in Plane of Knowledge or from guild/friends. Don't be shy, people don't mind giving plat to people on test, especially new or returning players. People are always giving away equipment so you can try asking for some or just watch trade channels for free stuff.
3. With the plat, buy Mercs for all three characters. Tank mercs are the best at lower levels so get at least one tank and a healer. If you three box grab whatever else you want DPS or tank.
4. Go kill everything with the Mercs, don't stop.
5. Once you get up around 55-75ish there are some good spots to afk level/AA at night while you are sleeping.
That sounds good, but will this advice work for someone who hasn't played the game since 1999/2000? I'd love to 3 box, but is it something a new player can handle? If so, I'm really interested in playing bard or necromancer. Any recommendations on other classes to use with those?

darkko_sl

shitlord
I don't think it would be to difficult. You may want to just start with one and do /testbuff and play around for a bit to get comfortable and then add the other 1 or 2 characters a week later. It will take very little time to catch them up to your first. It's hard for everyone to get back into the game after a long time away. It always takes me a few days to get into a groove and get all the kinks worked out. Someone else can comment on pairing with a necro, but for Bard, I always like Bard/Mage/Shm.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Auto levels you to 25, with level appropriate defiant gear and all spells until that point as well as skills maxed for level 25.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Auto levels you to 25, withlevel appropriate defiant gearand all spells until that point as well as skills maxed for level 25.
Not the bolded part. I've taken to the practice of doing a testbuff with a character then doing the Crescent Reach portion of Hero's Journey just to get some decent gear.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Really? I remember at one point they gave you gear, I just assumed it was defiant. I know that's how the maelin server was as far as gear goes(51/50).

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Really? I remember at one point they gave you gear, I just assumed it was defiant. I know that's how the maelin server was as far as gear goes(51/50).
You do get a full suit of gear, but it's complete garbage gear. Things like +1 WIS rings, and such. Certainly not defiant.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
55-60: park characters at temple in the Hole (iirc courtyard works well), you can position so you get static and roamers. Not amazing but you'll get xp.
60+ish the stone door at the bottom of the hole. Heavily camped, but if you can get a spot it's great afk xp. Place characters just inside door off to the side with one character in the middle of the tunnel. fast respawn, great xp and plat. Popular, so you will eventually get trained...
I assume you are talking about Pet Classes? I can take my mid-50s Necro there and simply AFK while my pet kills stuff or are you talking about some kind of scripting? Care to elaborate a bit? (Also, I am playing on Mac server but I am guessing this doesnt make a difference)

kudos

<Banned>
Funny Vanguard is more EQ than EQ is these days. I suggest giving it a shot if you want that old school game back.