EQ Never

Column_sl

shitlord
EQ1's biggest draw was that it had no competition at the time.
That's BS, Ultima Online was extremely popular.
And years later people would branch out to even shittier games like Asherons Call, DAOC etc

That being said, If EQ was launched today it would last about a week. People would have maxed leveled in like 3 days, and killed there pathetic end game at the time which was 2 dragons.
The planes didn't open up to monthes later.

EQ was qood for its time because it was a very social game with some very western RPG mud gameplay.
In todays world no one would give two shits about a game that moved that slow.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
That's BS, Ultima Online was extremely popular.
And years later people would branch out to even shittier games like Asherons Call, DAOC etc

That being said, If EQ was launched today it would last about a week..
Progression servers do pretty well for SOE, especially for the first year or so.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Vanilla WoW was better until it wasn't. And yes, they said no EQ style raiding, but there will be multi-group content (example of Crushbone with 100's or 1,000's of Orcs depending on who was asked). Instanced raiding sounds like it'll be DCUO style - maybe 12 peeps if we're lucky.
EQ-style raiding = no vs. multi-group content = yes. I don't know how to parse that. That's pretty damn vague.

I'm not going to bother rebutting the other responses. I don't know why I bothered to argue with the trogs. Y'all can return to your regular retardation.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
EQ-style raiding = no vs. multi-group content = yes. I don't know how to parse that. That's pretty damn vague.

I'm not going to bother rebutting the other responses. I don't know why I bothered to argue with the trogs. Y'all can return to your regular retardation.
They were very hazy probably because they didn't know themselves.. The multi-group stuff seemed to be like a Fear Break. Not a raid on a Dragon.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't belive how much I was looking forward to this game, to the utter disgust I feel for it now. Buttler and Michaels have no balls what so ever and Omeed is a

A game without consequences?

At least Brad had some balls, even if his vision was blurred by stuff.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I can't belive how much I was looking forward to this game, to the utter disgust I feel for it now. Buttler and Michaels have no balls what so ever and Omeed is a

A game without consequences?

At least Brad had some balls, even if his vision was blurred by stuff.
Decisions have to have consequences or they're pointless. Butler & Co. miss the whole point of RPGs. The solution isn't making everyone be everything, it's designing classes that matter. So players don't regret their choice.

Fucking ridiculous.

Edit: Basically they're blaming it on the fact they designed the game with class-switching. Which blows up their previous statement that you could play the game single classing.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That video was them explaining why they're avoiding a situation where you're faced with important decisions when you aren't properly informed. That's simple and makes sense.

There's also a balance issue layered onto the situation they didn't really get into. If X+M is the best combo for healing, and only humans, elves, and dwarves can be both X and M, then everyone that wants to heal that didn't pick human/elf/dwarf are fucked until/unless SOE balances other synergies to put them on par with X+M.

Perhaps there is supporting information I don't have that contributes to your disagreement with them, but I take zero issue with the contents of the video.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That video was them explaining why they're avoiding a situation where you're faced with important decisions when you aren't properly informed. That's simple and makes sense.

There's also a balance issue layered onto the situation they didn't really get into. If X+M is the best combo for healing, and only humans, elves, and dwarves can be both X and M, then everyone that wants to heal that didn't pick human/elf/dwarf are fucked until/unless SOE balances other synergies to put them on par with X+M.

Perhaps there is supporting information I don't have that contributes to your disagreement with them, but I take zero issue with the contents of the video.
Cool, everyone gets to be everything all the time. Sounds fun /barf

See, I like the idea if you make a bad choice (even if you don't know or have to read a Wiki like your buddy Omeed says) that you should be stuck with that, period.
I even hate the idea of buying your way out of bad tallent trees. You picked more wisdom aa for your Warrior? To bad eat a dick.

Randin

Trakanon Raider

I generally agree with that, but the fact they didn't discuss any of the nuances of the race/class restriction question is a little troubling. Soft restrictions are a logical replacement for hard-coded ones, and yet they don't even suggest that they've considered them, they only talk about it as a binary choice between hard restrictions, and no restrictions at all.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Cool, everyone gets to be everything all the time. Sounds fun /barf

See, I like the idea if you make a bad choice (even if you don't know or have to read a Wiki like your buddy Omeed says) that you should be stuck with that, period.
I even hate the idea of buying your way out of bad tallent trees. You picked more wisdom aa for your Warrior? To bad eat a dick.
Well then you're fucking retarded.

I was going to support that statement, but I decided you did that job for me. Gracias.

I generally agree with that, but the fact they didn't discuss any of the nuances of the race/class restriction question is a little troubling. Soft restrictions are a logical replacement for hard-coded ones, and yet they don't even suggest that they've considered them, they only talk about it as a binary choice between hard restrictions, and no restrictions at all.
Maybe they don't even know yet. Game ain't even in alpha. Nuance comes later.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
That video was them explaining no decisions will ever matter and you will never have anything to worry about.

Great fucking game idea there for an mmo.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
That video was them explaining no decisions will ever matter and you will never have anything to worry about.

Great fucking game idea there for an mmo.
How does removing the big decisions from the very first five minutes equate to removing choices from the entire game? They seemingly want to make a game that doesn't punish people for not reading 20 wiki pages before they play.

Every argument I've seen against this seems to be one big slippery slope fallacy.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That video was them explaining no decisions will ever matter
No, it wasn't, but I'm fine with being able to fix all your mistakes over time.

I'm not necessarily fine with swapping classes/skills anywhere/anytime. I'm curious to see how that develops. EVE makes you dock to swap ships. Guild Wars had you enter town to swap skills and companions. The ability system they're using seems like it could be a spin on GW.

I really don't even know where you fags are coming from with this shit. EQ had negligible creation mistakes. You could get all the AAs, leadership, etc. You had a one shot of allocating creation points and picking your god, but both of those were pretty much cosmetic given the way EQ developed. Likewise, EQ2 has no such pitfalls. And they improved by letting you decide your god later on in development, and changing your allegiance as you saw fit.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is becoming painfully obvious that Brad McQuaid, with all of his faults, is the only mmo dev that has balls.

The rest were castrated years ago, if they ever had them.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
It is becoming painfully obvious that Brad McQuaid, with all of his faults, is the only mmo dev that has balls.

The rest were castrated years ago, if they ever had them.
So none of the indie studios making MMOs have balls? You know, the ones making games that sound like they would please even this crumbling ball of jaded MMORPGers?

Edit: And for as quick as most people are to bitch and whine at SOE for their napkin ideas, all of a sudden it just takes the word "niche" to convince you guys that Brad McQuaid's is a patron saint?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Name one that is actually viable and playable.

Edit to your edit: You are clueless. Just looking at the picture of the SoE wimps above should have given you an inkling to how totally fucked EQNext is. Those pathetic morons haven't had an original thought in their lifetimes, let alone the backbone to stand up for it.

For better or worse, Brad has a go for it type of personality. He is willing to take chances, while putting up with the constant stream of cynism and bullshit by people who want to drag him down (Utnayan and Co.). That takes a set of balls that SoE doesn't allow into their doors anymore.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
No, it wasn't, but I'm fine with being able to fix all your mistakes over time.

I'm not necessarily fine with swapping classes/skills anywhere/anytime. I'm curious to see how that develops. EVE makes you dock to swap ships. Guild Wars had you enter town to swap skills and companions. The ability system they're using seems like it could be a spin on GW.

I really don't even know where you fags are coming from with this shit. EQ had negligible creation mistakes. You could get all the AAs, leadership, etc. You had a one shot of allocating creation points and picking your god, but both of those were pretty much cosmetic given the way EQ developed. Likewise, EQ2 has no such pitfalls. And they improved by letting you decide your god later on in development, and changing your allegiance as you saw fit.
Agraza, I disagree with you 98% of the time (like Zehn) but you're not stupid (like Zehn) so I don't mind arguing with you even though it's mostly pointless.. What you're missing here is that meaningful choice is necessary for "unique" characters. Yes, I know that you know that I know that no MMO character is actually unique - take any toon in any MMO and if you look around you'll find one pretty much the same race/class/level and even 90% of the same items (99% if we're talking WoW) - but this is more about the appearance (or perhaps illusion is the better term) of uniqueness versus the reality.

The direction Butler & Co. are taking EQN is removing even the illusion of uniqueness. What they're - and you're - forgetting is that people need to feel that their toons are unique to become attached to them - so removing that feeling matters for long-term gameplay. Now you can become attached to a game for different reasons besides uniqueness - take LOL where toon uniquness is not an issue, people play the game because they like the PvP rush or wtf. There are certainly people who play MMORPGS for the PvP rush but they aren't most of the people on this board, AFAIK.

TL;DR the class system sucks, not putting in racial restrictions sucks more.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol, everyone has a "game in development". I don't care about them (Brad's included), until they are actually playable they mean nothing.

You totally missed my point, but that doesn't surprise me. The difference with Brad is that he actually has produced games that have meaningful consequence and stood behind those decisions. None of the retards in charge at SoE now can make that claim. They are pussies and their daily embrace of the "denial of service" byline is proof of that.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not that Brad is the new savior.. He just pointed out that hey, the EQN tech is cool and should be used to make niche games. Let SoE cast the wider net while he goes after a more niche crowd. Aka VG2/EQ3 game. I've been beating a niche PVE mmo in the spirit of EQ drum for a while now and he's most likely to make it.

Until the other indie studios produce something I'm going with brad..