EQ Never

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
What are things you guys want to know about Landmark? PM them to me. I'll see what i can do about getting info; Been working on a few dev-ins.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Serious question , and I know I've ranted about their design of dark elves,butchering of Lore (Red Panda Pirates vs Troll Ninja Paladins/w guns)and so on, but it's EQ so I'll definitely be playing and trying it.

I'm wanting to know how much freedom players/builders will be given on the mob front for EQL. And is this going to be where $$ comes in , as in to place plain old orcs you are good to go free, but want a special mob then pony up 500sc and so on.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Images like that make me realize how much more I could be interested in this game if it wasn't attached to the EverQuest title, heh. I know we've been over it ad nauseam, but that art style just doesn't say EQ to me, in the slightest.
This.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That reminds me why I'll definitely play it - still wish it wouldnt slash the EQ franchise to bits, I would like it more then.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
EQ had difficulty but after you learned the rules, it really wasn't that difficult.
But the difference I found in EQ was that the world/mechanics were relatively open so you could find new way to challenge yourself or your group. You could move deeper in a dungeon. A simple, but meaningful concept that seems lost in modern mmorpg's.

It's not that EQ was challenging, but that it let players find things to challenge themselves with. Plenty cheesed it up at zone-lines or over-gearing content. Thankfully it was different for me, and a weekly, if not daily question in my EQ guild's chat was "you're trying to do WHAT?!" usually followed with ideas and volunteers willing to give it a shot. Things could be attempted in non-ideal ways and if your hare-brained idea actually worked you were rewarded. I haven't found that since, as games are either so hard-coded and over-tuned they don't afford challenges beyond the initial 'figuring it out' stage or don't offer any reward for doing so (whether tangible or otherwise).

And not arguing. I agree with what you're saying, just think there's a bit more depth to the difficulty in EQ compared to other games. The open nature of EQ provided a range of experience/difficulty, and let people do things in non-ideal ways and still succeed, but at the cost of more risk and challenge. For many who wanted that, it was fun and more rewarding. And for the rest, they could still hang out all day at zone-lines dreaming of having the balls of attempting content they couldn't run from. The problem is that all games have basically extended the zone-line safety net throughout the entire game instead of just making it one optional way to play.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
But the difference I found in EQ was that the world/mechanics were relatively open so you could find new way to challenge yourself or your group. You could move deeper in a dungeon. A simple, but meaningful concept that seems lost in modern mmorpg's.

It's not that EQ was challenging, but that it let players find things to challenge themselves with.
That's a very good point - especially since the desire to challenge themselves isnt as present as it was in the playerbase. If you challenge someone to overcome an obstacle now, you are "wasting their time" and "it's not worth it". These days, people want the improved rewards without additional risk/challenge.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That's a very good point - especially since the desire to challenge themselves isnt as present as it was in the playerbase. If you challenge someone to overcome an obstacle now, you are "wasting their time" and "it's not worth it". These days, people want the improved rewards without additional risk/challenge.
Is a student unwilling to learn because a teacher gave him the answer key along with his test and the student accepted the most efficient way to accomplish a goal?

It reminds me of parents who claim kids these days don't want to work for anything, and meanwhile give their kids everything they ask for, or more, and with no expectation of work. Should it be on the kids to demand they work for their toys?

The job of developer is that of provider. We can't ask the kids/gamers to be the responsible ones. Hell, if gamers were the responsible ones we wouldn't HAVE these games, because we would have been doing better things with our time.

Developers are like the kids who grew up poor and swore they'd give their kids everything they never had and spoil their kids to a point of no redemption. We're spoiled as gamers because the developers need to grow up and stop trying to play the role of 'cool dad' who will buy you everything. It's mostly just embarrassing and pathetic, and we sure as hell aren't going to love or respect you more for it.

And to push the analogy to ridiculous levels, I think many of us may not have even loved EQ while we were living under it's roof, but we sure as shit respected EQ (otherwise we'd get a beating). And in retrospect we came to realize all those conflicting emotions in the moment were the result of a whole lot of love.

"You're in our world now" wasn't an invitation, it was a fucking challenge. And if you give us a game worthy of our efforts, we'll attempt to prove ourselves worthy of that challenge.

In summary, I think this is literally an instance where we shouldn't hate the player, but the game.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
How much of that can be made without using the cash shop?
Im sure all of it. They will monetize with cosmetics. I.E. different stains for the wood or different coloring for the stone (white marble, ect). Maybe add some gargoyles.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That parenting analogy is cute and all, but the goal of a developer isnt forming you into a better social being through challenges and pressure or whatever else. The goal is getting the biggest chunk of your money. Putting the player into a situation where he moves out into his own 1-room flat after a few months of growing resentment and fights about not being understood is not the way to get that money here and now.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
That keep had no doors. Not much of a keep without doors.
That's actually a good point. Will there be mechanical parts to the objects you can place?

It is one thing to be able to mold pure voxels of various shapes and sizes. That alone will give you the ability to make your own shaped caves, houses and the likes (and not just square blocks like Minecraft or Terraria). However, can you put doors on houses and keeps? Drawbridges? Bridges tied to chains to be lifted up? Traps in dungeons and keeps (pressure plates, which would then also require wires)? Because in both Minecraft (I think, not played it myself) and Terraria, to place down a door, you require a specific size to the hole. Without the ability to also make mechanical objects, you will only be able to place down pre-made items, which would then limit things like doorways to the sizes of doors made available to you.
A grand cathedral with tiny doors would look weird, and I doubt they will have models for all sorts of doors.

I guess they could add database tags in Landmark. So if you make an object and specify it as a door, you can then change the size and the way it looks while it maintains the properties of a door as long as it fits into the model of the building you wish to place it in.

Has there been any details about that? Just how deep the customization goes? Is it like Minecraft or Minecraft with mods like Hexxit or whatever it is called?

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
That keep had no doors. Not much of a keep without doors.
They didnt show it, but the door would have been in the divot of the U-shape design, ostensibly creating a courtyard/kill zone.

Personally, Im building this.

rrr_img_47029.jpg