EQ Never

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Given the visual update in wow. I can see why Titan was canned. there is no need for it. Sticking with WoW is fine. hell they are adding player housing finally.

that and hearthstone, sc, diablo, heroes, etc.
Off topic, but imo Blizzard should integrate Hearthstone into WoW , like EQ has with their TCG. Do the loot cards like previous TCG(But a lot more like EQ) but allow players to log in and play while in WoW, plus tournaments, trading UI etc all accessible while in WoW.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Lol at the people thinking Blizzard is going to come with something awesome.

When was the last time they put out something that wasn't disappointing? 5 years ago? Diablo 3? Starcraft 2? TGC? Pandas? The total dumbing down of WOW?

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Lol at the people thinking Blizzard is going to come with something awesome.

When was the last time they put out something that wasn't disappointing? 5 years ago? Diablo 3? Starcraft 2? TGC? Pandas? The total dumbing down of WOW?
Bitching about Blizzard issolast year.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
First, let me say that I know those feels. Vanilla EQ's lore was mysterious and awesome and the fact that you had to dig and search for it so those who did really stood out as paragons of lore made it even more awesome.

**BUT**

Shit went down hill fast after PoP. They peaked way too early in EQ, I assume because they didn't plan on the game having so much longevity. The lore for like 15 of the 20 expansions involves shadow men and discordian agents. Recently they're doing something with fear or something but I've completely checked out of EQ lore. It's impossible to take seriously.

Rebooting wasn't their only option, but I believe it was their best. You could argue that we could've played in another era of norrath's history and not have to deal with the overwhelming influence of all the discord shit, but that ties their hands quite a bit. They can't include anything radically new that wasn't around in vanilla EQ or they'd have to use lots of space magic to remove all the ruins and evidence that those things ever existed.

Anyway, if you don't see it that way I'll just agree to disagree. Rebooting, IMO, was their best-of-the-worst options as far as lore goes.
I agree that rebooting was needed for a new Everquest title. I think the question is what does rebooting a franchise mean for you and what do you consider a good reboot. Shitty analogy again, but the described EQ reboot to me is like rebooting Spiderman, but the new movie has spiderman be an actual spider that lives in a village called New York thats somewhere in south-east asia, and this spider has human-like abilities like speech and gets into zany antics with the villagers. That's a bad reboot. If they want to write entirely new lore they can do that. And they have done exactly that, except they re-used some names and descriptions from the EQ titles but for entirely different things.

Still, innovative mechanics are good for the genre, so here's hoping. Meanwhile, the new WoW expansion is a deus ex machina solution to add a world they destroyed back when Metzen wasnt as crazy as he is now meant to introduce a mash-up of browser/mobile games. Which I actually dont mind, but I could live without the contrived time travel bullshit and instead just get another continent-sized shard of outland with new foes. Instead we get to retread warcraft 1/2.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I agree that rebooting was needed for a new Everquest title. I think the question is what does rebooting a franchise mean for you and what do you consider a good reboot. Shitty analogy again, but the described EQ reboot to me is like rebooting Spiderman, but the new movie has spiderman be an actual spider that lives in a village called New York thats somewhere in south-east asia, and this spider has human-like abilities like speech and gets into zany antics with the villagers. That's a bad reboot. If they want to write entirely new lore they can do that. And they have done exactly that, except they re-used some names and descriptions from the EQ titles but for entirely different things.

Still, innovative mechanics are good for the genre, so here's hoping. Meanwhile, the new WoW expansion is a deus ex machina solution to add a world they destroyed back when Metzen wasnt as crazy as he is now meant to introduce a mash-up of browser/mobile games. Which I actually dont mind, but I could live without the contrived time travel bullshit and instead just get another continent-sized shard of outland with new foes. Instead we get to retread warcraft 1/2.
I think it's way too early to know exactly how good the reboot will be. EQ has almost 15 years of lore and some of it is BAD. Reboots use some of the same lore or it would be called new franchise. Just like Star Trek didn't change everyone's names, names of planets, etc., EQ doesn't have to change everything and can change others if it makes for a better story. Isn't that the goal? To have a better story or different story options in a reboot? Why would they keep the same story in a reboot?

I agree about WoW and I can't see Wildstar not taking a large piece of it's pie. Is there truly anything in WoW that hasn't been done by a player many, many times? At what point do WoW players not realize that their NEW expansion is just going backwards? That their characters are pretty similar to their characters from 4 years ago. That nothing has really changed that much...

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
WoW lore is bad because it changes for retarded reasons inside the same game. There should be consistency inside a single game. Across multiple games I think its more about whether the individual games are good and have a good story. Especially when they say they are rebooting. The new spiderman would have been alot less forgivable if it was billed as spiderman 4 staring all the old guys and then changed the entire story, but when they say hey this is a reboot then I think it deserves to be judged on its stand-alone merits.

I do find it funny that one of the major complaints is that everyone looks like a cartoon character, and another major complaint is that they removed all the lore about the cartoon villain races who were evil just cause its fun to do bad things.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I think graphics are decent actually, although some could use some tuning ofc. Then again I dont mind WoW/wildstar graphics either. And I wasnt talking about the actual spiderman movie, I made one up in the post above similar to how SOE makes up an entirely new world/lore and uses names from their older games for some of the characters/towns.

The other point about removing evil (from the) races is also not my concern but you dont adress just me there. However my take is that a diverse faction system with races that all view each other differently is very much preferable to a situation where everyone starts out as equal. It gives the world variety. From the sound of it, the only difference between an dwarf and a human in EQN will be their height and beard size. I would prefer racial animosities, KoS factions both based on races or guilds, etc. Variety in how your race and profession shapes your game experience. No MMO has gone really deep into this direction imo. EQ was okayish due to the factions but they became mostly meaningless fairly fast, WoW distilled it into two experiences (horde or alliance, any difference within either was negligible), and every game since has run with that since 2004 (except vanguard? wouldnt know the late beta ran like shit and I never picked it up after/because).

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I hope they handle races like skyrim did. It makes next to no difference what one you pick but the racial factions feel very real. As race x you aren't forced into that faction x but they serve to give the game life. Plus there are no cartoon villain races. No race believes they are the evil ones even when all of them do evil things. Don't know if that's the direction they will go with it but getting rid of the old race lore was necessary if they are. In wow everyone is good I hope in EQN no one is.

Fedor

<Banned>
c7MWL7J.png

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I hope they handle races like skyrim did. It makes next to no difference what one you pick but the racial factions feel very real. As race x you aren't forced into that faction x but they serve to give the game life. Plus there are no cartoon villain races. No race believes they are the evil ones even when all of them do evil things. Don't know if that's the direction they will go with it but getting rid of the old race lore was necessary if they are. In wow everyone is good I hope in EQN no one is.
I don't know why more games don't go that route as opposed to the fixed faction bull shit we usually get.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree about WoW and I can't see Wildstar not taking a large piece of it's pie. Is there truly anything in WoW that hasn't been done by a player many, many times? At what point do WoW players not realize that their NEW expansion is just going backwards? That their characters are pretty similar to their characters from 4 years ago. That nothing has really changed that much...
I froze WoW a while ago, but will certainly pick it up again, maybe for 6.0, maybe for the xpack. There is one reason I do it: gameplay. There is no other game in the MMO genre that plays as smoothly as WoW, period. Every single game I played, with the sole exception of GW2, is lacking something in terms of animations, UI, feeling and going "back to wow" is more often than not a pleasant experience if only just for that reason.

It's also the game with the most fun healers of all times, each with a very distinctive twist, same for tanks at that, but I'm a healer at heart. It has the best UI because of it being 100% modifiable, it probably has the best raiding scene.

I don't care about numbers on my gear, I care about being able to customize it a little bit (without a spreadsheet as it's going to hopefully become), to monitor my parses and see how good I'm doing and when I want to swap class because I'm an altoholic, I can do it relatively easily and relatively quickly.
I like to group and do dungeons, I loved 10 men raids until my guild stopped playing, LFR sadly is not fun enough.

What EQ Next is going to give me?

1 - Norrath: good thing.
2 - Parkour: don't care.
3 - 40 classes: bleargh, crap.
4 - No healers: vomit inducing.
5 - active combat (dodge?): could be good.
6 - Disney graphics: I like it, blame my son. Animations looked good as well.
7 - Unknown gameplay: here is what matters, until I see how combat works, everything else is pretty much unimportant.

Wait and see. As usual.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I froze WoW a while ago, but will certainly pick it up again, maybe for 6.0, maybe for the xpack. There is one reason I do it: gameplay. There is no other game in the MMO genre that plays as smoothly as WoW, period. Every single game I played, with the sole exception of GW2, is lacking something in terms of animations, UI, feeling and going "back to wow" is more often than not a pleasant experience if only just for that reason.

It's also the game with the most fun healers of all times, each with a very distinctive twist, same for tanks at that, but I'm a healer at heart. It has the best UI because of it being 100% modifiable, it probably has the best raiding scene.

I don't care about numbers on my gear, I care about being able to customize it a little bit (without a spreadsheet as it's going to hopefully become), to monitor my parses and see how good I'm doing and when I want to swap class because I'm an altoholic, I can do it relatively easily and relatively quickly.
I like to group and do dungeons, I loved 10 men raids until my guild stopped playing, LFR sadly is not fun enough.

What EQ Next is going to give me?

1 - Norrath: good thing.
2 - Parkour: don't care.
3 - 40 classes: bleargh, crap.
4 - No healers: vomit inducing.
5 - active combat (dodge?): could be good.
6 - Disney graphics: I like it, blame my son. Animations looked good as well.
7 - Unknown gameplay: here is what matters, until I see how combat works, everything else is pretty much unimportant.

Wait and see. As usual.
WoW=most fun healers? You haven't played a blood mage in Vanguard.

That aside, to address the 40 classes "bleargh" comment, each class isn't a full fleshed out WoW style class. its a spec within a class, at best.

Fedor

<Banned>
Landmark Beta Dates and Founders Program Announced | EQHammer

SOE announced today that Landmark's alpha test will begin on or before February 28, 2014. Closed beta is due to begin on or before March 31, 2014. It seems as though SOE has announced their drop-dead dates while allowing for the possibility of an earlier alpha or beta. (Those who've been following the game closely will quickly notice that the promise of a launch "this winter" isn't exactly fulfilled by a March 31 closed beta.)

SOE has also announced new Founder's Packs that provide players with everything with closed beta access at the $20 Settler price point to alpha access and 4 shareable closed beta keys at the $100 Trailblazer level. Here are the details:

Settler Pack - $19.99

Unlimited Closed Beta Access
Settler Flag Item
Founder's Pickaxe
Title: Founder
Forum Title: Founder

Explorer Pack - $59.99

Includes all items from Settler Pack Plus:
Alpha Access
Explorer Flag Item
Ring of Bounty
Mega Pocket
Courtier's Regalia
Tech Sergeant's Gear

Trailblazer Pack - $99.99
(Italicized Items are Exclusive to Pre-Sale/Alpha Period)

Includes all items from Settler Pack and Explorer Pack Plus:

Alpha Access
Trailblazer Flag Item
Mastercraft Bracer
Void Vault
Noble's Regalia
Tech Commander's Gear
4 Shareable Closed Beta Keys
Your Name in the EQNL Credits
Early Access to the Beta Forum
Forum Title: Trailblazer
In-Game Title: Trailblazer
Alpha Boost
Head Start Open Beta Access

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
It's funny to me how the beta/launch/live vernacular has changed.

What we once understood to be beta tests are now alpha tests.
What we once knew as launch/release are now indefinite open betas.

I guess its part of the F2P shift rocking the genre. I suppose it makes sense, especially in the era of kickstarter type funding.