EQ Never

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
MOBA elements in EQ will turn alot of people off with no fail. I personally have no interest in MOBA in my EQ, but im ok with it happening since it will mean i dont end up wasting away a ton of hours in an MMO.

No levels is fine tho, UO had no levels and it was amazing so there is that. It just seems like EQN is trying to be too much of everything else with only its lore being reused.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Supposedly Planetside 2 was done in 18 months using the forgelight engine that was already complete. so its pretty safe to assume that dev costs were no where near what a AAA title from scratch would cost if it was done the traditional way.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
MOBA elements in EQ will turn alot of people off with no fail. I personally have no interest in MOBA in my EQ, but im ok with it happening since it will mean i dont end up wasting away a ton of hours in an MMO.

No levels is fine tho, UO had no levels and it was amazing so there is that. It just seems like EQN is trying to be too much of everything else with only its lore being reused.
I disagree. I think it trying to push into new territory which will probably turn off some but there's games on the horizon for them too. Being like everyone else would be another WoW clone which was just an updated EQ...fixed. The elements that some really want to see remade will never happen again. I'm all with seeing a new direction in the field and if certain MOBA elements are involved, I will give it a chance because they are pretty fun games. The genre is stale. I'm glad they are trying to mix things up.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I don't think EQN will be at all like most people have mentioned for the last few pages(and earlier). It will be very similar to a MOBA and there won't be a lot of unique loot that just drops off one mob. I don't think they want to encourage camping, twinking or any of those other archaic systems we haven't seen for a long time. Honestly, a short sword should be a short sword until later. They should all allow the same abilities until you get one that can help YOU evolve your class mix or playing style. I want variance which EQ never had.

People have equated their character to a few pieces of loot for far too long. I want to see what kind of characters are made, not who got lucky with the die roll. It's what you make of yourself not camping one spot for longer than anyone else. Twinking had far more negatives than positives as well. Sure, some high levels sometimes helped out others...or didn't. Every game now has a form of mentoring and this game doesn't have levels anyways.
If you want to help someone, then go help someone. If you have random chest drops in random areas, it helps exploration just as much or more than unique loot. If you don't have levels, you don't need a lot of what the original system was built for. 'Trash' mobs may still be tough and content might stay harder.

Just like Quaid, I look forward to MOBA elements. I want to see how others evolve their character as they get more classes. I want to see how this changes what can be done. I want that kind of combat.
Its going to be like a MOBA in the class selection aspect where you play what you want or what is needed for whatever situation rather than being married to any one thing, but I think the comparison mostly ends there.

I agree there will be very little camping too, the whole AI thing will have to fail pretty hard if we end up spawn camping some orc named who always spawn in the same spot for a drop.

Random chest drops are fun, I liked them in darkfall, there were definitely people who enjoyed just going out riding hunting for the chests and nothing else. They could have some fun with it too and have some event chests with traps on them or false chests like those mobs from EQ1 who were chests with teeth.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Moving towards something new is fine and all but is it still EQ? EQ is more than just its lore, it was its play style, its at times unrelenting harshness and its camping along with other things. Alot of that was removed and lost in EQ2 which is why most consider it a failure(some also hated its content too). Peoples take on its new direction will all be a matter of what EQ meant to them and how different the next game is.

I personally wanted the traditional experience with its trinity system and everything in tact redone with forgelight and its refreshing lore. However im not opposed to change, im just not fond of the current direction it seems to be going in thus far. Then again with SOELive or whatever event right around the corner we will have alot of questions answered as well as some new game footage to give us even more.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I don't so much want random as I want content that flows based on what happens in an area. It obviously really really hard to do and do well so we will see I guess how much they manage to do.

Its hard to have a story that really flows when the players are always winning tho, so I hope its possible for the players to actually lose, that's one thing Rift really failed at, it was possible to briefly lose control of a camp but taking it back over was always fairly easy as stuff despawned and the AI never pressed any advantage. They just need a system that rewards people somewhat for trying so they aren't forced to let people win easily.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I remember back in EQ there was an event where you could play as a random mob in game. I was a Fire Beetle in qeynos hills. Grinded up to level 10 on skeletons/gnolls then went around killing players. They knew it was me because I was spamming jump the whole time.

I want to do this in EQN, pls smed/george the pony, pls.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Project M.

What was Project M and how did it affect the creation of monster missions?

Project M was an experiment done back in fall of 2001 where players could select a monster at the character selection screen. The intent was to allow players to hop into the body of a low level creature and challenge other creatures and players, but the design of the system at the time had some significant problems that prevented Project M from staying on servers long.

Why didn't Project M work?

First, Project M didn't fit into the immersive world of EverQuest as players were simply choosing an NPC at character select (such as a moss snake). In addition, a small minority of players used Project M to grief new players which introduced a PvP element on PvE servers that was unintended. As you can imagine, the only people who typically had fun were the griefers and even then it was a short term play-style as players never earned rewards.

So why include a feature like playing a monster now?

Despite the original problems, having the ability to play as a monster can be extremely fun and is something that can add an entirely new dimension to the gameplay if done correctly. I think we've done it correctly with Depths of Darkhollow with both monster missions and spirit shrouds.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had a few fond memories like moss snakes as NPCs actually had a kick ability. It was a joke seeing snakes kicking for a while but when you played them you had it as well and I was stalking the newbie area in freeport and a baby monk came out and I would periodically slither up and jump in the air and kick him then scurry away. Watching him ask in general about jumping snakes was damn near killing me with amusement. I eventually logged in my main to give him a bunch of lowbie stuff to help him out I did not want him to have a bad taste in his mouth for starting a game and having such weird stuff happening to him.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
#1 - This is not EverQuest 3.
There?s a reason that EverQuest Next is not named EverQuest 3 -- it was specifically designed to use EverQuest?s rich lore, classes and history in an entirely new way. SOE didn?t just put a different spin on the tired mechanics we?ve seen in MMORPGs for the past 15 years, it got rid of some entirely, tossed the rest in a blender with some completely fresh ingredients, and whipped up a radically different and delicious MMO margarita. We?re going to be drinking this stuff for years to come. Drink responsibly, people; this is the EverCrack for the new paradigm.

For some classic EQ and EQ2 players, the response to EQ Next might be less, ?Shut up and take my money? and more ?Shove it where it ain?t sunny,? but you can?t please everyone. And I?m betting on the likelihood of all but the most curmudgeonly of the curmudgeons being won over eventually.
So old EQ / EQ2 players are not the market audience, but the new demography is the WoW + era who have little concept of what made EQ different than the newer games. Most mmo players today wouldn't even know to ask for certain features EQ had, because they haven't existed since then. Not saying there hasn't been progression in the genre, there certainly has, but no need to remove all the old features.

Starting to sound like more of a Sacred 3 type of deal, other than SOE then having the brains to take the 3 away and call it Next. This way, when fans get all uppity about the complete bastardization of what the original game stood for, SOE can just fall back on the "it is a new type of game! Next!".

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I had a few fond memories like moss snakes as NPCs actually had a kick ability. It was a joke seeing snakes kicking for a while but when you played them you had it as well and I was stalking the newbie area in freeport and a baby monk came out and I would periodically slither up and jump in the air and kick him then scurry away. Watching him ask in general about jumping snakes was damn near killing me with amusement. I eventually logged in my main to give him a bunch of lowbie stuff to help him out I did not want him to have a bad taste in his mouth for starting a game and having such weird stuff happening to him.
This made me laugh!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So old EQ / EQ2 players are not the market audience, but the new demography is the WoW + era who have little concept of what made EQ different than the newer games. Most mmo players today wouldn't even know to ask for certain features EQ had, because they haven't existed since then. Not saying there hasn't been progression in the genre, there certainly has, but no need to remove all the old features.

Starting to sound like more of a Sacred 3 type of deal, other than SOE then having the brains to take the 3 away and call it Next. This way, when fans get all uppity about the complete bastardization of what the original game stood for, SOE can just fall back on the "it is a new type of game! Next!".
The majority of players are fully aware of what EQ was about and had to offer because we never shut the fuck up about it. The usual response is some variation of why the fuck would you want to do that? Very few people are getting uppity about it and most have embraced the fact that something different is coming. EQ didn't stand for a god damn thing and was just a great game at a fun time.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
So old EQ / EQ2 players are not the market audience, but the new demography is the WoW + era who have little concept of what made EQ different than the newer games.
Just because it's not copy/pasting the original EQ doesn't mean it can't target what people enjoyed about the game. Did people really love sitting in one spot for 6 hours waiting for an NPC to appear? Can you not get a similar sensation by running through randomly generated dungeons in search for the same NPC, who can rarely spawn in X type rooms and drop a very unique/effective item that targets a certain class ability?

I think you could get a similar feel and actually play a game while doing it. Yes, it comes down to implementation, which is going to be really hard to nail down, but I think it's definitely doable.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The majority of players are fully aware of what EQ was about and had to offer because we never shut the fuck up about it. The usual response is some variation of why the fuck would you want to do that? Very few people are getting uppity about it and most have embraced the fact that something different is coming. EQ didn't stand for a god damn thing and was just a great game at a fun time.
I highly doubt the majority of todays mmo players are fully aware of what EQ had. I am willing to bet that outside of people who frequent forums like this, which is a tiny,tinypart of the mmo marketplace today which is millions large, do not know about the interconnectivity of EQs classes, corpse runs, trains, etc. No sense of what darkness in an mmo was combined with dying actually being a bad thing. Having to learn zones due to lack of maps. Hell, many of those things were lost to EQ players that joined later as well.

EQ didn't "stand" for it, it just had some features that were not really features, but oversights as they didn't have many games to emulate from. The thing is that several of those features, intended or not, were not continued, emulated or built upon/fixed, but rather outright removed in a "done with that!" sort of way.

Most wouldn't want them when given the specific option for them, but combined they made EQ bigger sense of being in a world compared to more recent games. In my opinion EQ can still be learned from, because several of the things from it haven't been done since.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In the age before google and [game]head.com, we had to learn and memorize everything good about each expansion.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Randomly generated instanced dungeons one must dig to find, inconsequential mundane loot, MOBA shit. idk, bros. Plus what good is building a voxel manor if Dunmar and I can't store player heads in it?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

/shrug I don't have any issues with them calling this EQ 3 or Next or what have you. Final Fantasy has reinvented themselves many times now and sometimes to great effect.

So calling it EQ again even though it is so different really doesn't matter, it's just a marketing ploy and a smart one. They'll keep some of the main lore just to give it a thematic notion of EQ but the rest is a wash. In the end, what really will matter is the gameplay.

Imo, if they do go as casual with the gameplay as you and many of us fear then that will be EQ Next's downfall. Casual gameplay in all the latest mmos usually means the game will last a month or two and then everyone moves on. There has to be some sort of challenge that keeps us coming back. Dailies aint it.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember in EQ during Luclin I think where there was this one zone with a 3 way NPC war that was broken as fuck for like the first 6 months. It would break and not work, and I don't think it was max level so most folks just skipped the zone. Well after it was fixed it was one of the more fun places I played in till I quit the game. I hope they have graduated zone events like that only more advanced now. Since it was what 10 years ago? 15? Sheesh I am getting old.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They had multi-faction disputes in a few places. You're probably talking about Hollowshade Moor though.