EQ Never

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Jeremy Peel knew..

It?s big talk, this, but with a near-finished Planetside 2 in the wings it?s evident SOE have precedent in burning the MMO to the ground and placing the bricks anew. But EverQuest is the very birthplace of the genre as we know it; is it really the right place to commit such terrible arson?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
There was concept art of Freeport but they had a screenshot based on that art that looks amazing (while still being obviously an in game image). Forgot about bald dude, he'd crush the current human male.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
YAY
029.jpg

BOO
030.jpg

YAY
rrr_img_90513.jpg

Very Planetside 2, early voxel development, note the Paladin from the leak, and the traditional locations listed highlighted in green.Is this map relevant anymore?
rrr_img_90514.jpg

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Polygon Freeport gets me all drooling. Hopefully voxel Freeport has made some serious strides. That's basically the exact art style I would have wanted.

Also

http://eq2wire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/eq2next01.jpg

(Sorry on mobile or I'd be less lazy and post the screen)

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Why couldn't they just add the dynamic mob thing to EQ3? That alone would have been pretty amazing.

God damn it, someone learn Unity so we can make our own EQ. Christ.
frown.png

Maybe the voxel engine will make a couple of strides before release. I mean it's at least 2 or 3 years out.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm sure it looks better these days because that shot was old when they showed it off, but I'd say Landmark makes it obvious they're still not close to where it was. I think that's just going to be the case for the game in general.

There's a lot of weird geometry shit with even basic terrain.

Edit: always loved that second piece of art with the Iksar. So fucking awesome.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Have you heard of pantheon?

Anyway, I think its too far gone. They're so deep in a convoluted world of voxels, mobas, soemote, denial of service and other major design perspectives and elements that short of a 5th reboot EQN won't change course, the overall negative and distasteful (to us) aspects will not change in any substantial fashion no matter how many people they fire. If nothing else as they appoint new staff too many chefs will continue to spoil the already bitter soup.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Have you heard of pantheon?

Anyway, I think its too far gone. They're so deep in a convoluted world of voxels, mobas, soemote, denial of service and other major design perspectives and elements that short of a 5th reboot EQN won't change course, the overall negative and distasteful (to us) aspects will not change in any substantial fashion no matter how many people they fire. If nothing else as they appoint new staff too many chefs will continue to spoil the already bitter soup.
You're probably right because SOE is incompetent: however, on the off chance someone there was competent and saved the art assets and code for EQ 3 (2nd Gen) they could restart the project from Square two or three, instead of zero.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
You're probably right because SOE is incompetent: however, on the off chance someone there was competent and saved the art assets and code for EQ 3 (2nd Gen) they could restart the project from Square two or three, instead of zero.
What you think they had.
rrr_img_90522.jpg

What they actually had.
rrr_img_90523.jpg

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just delete it. I'm sure they still have it. I doubt they'll ever resume work on the game, though. Much less, release it.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Voxel architecture in landmark currently doesn't look anywhere near that bad, lots of it looks great. Isn't that the most reasonable benchmark to judge how eqn probably looks instead of years old pictures from when the Voxel toolkit and technique was way shittier.