EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
No one is telling you want game to enjoy. People are telling you the type of game you want to play is not something a lot of people want and really not worthy of a large investment.
Dude. Know your Steve Jobs if we're going to keep talking new products.

People don't know what they want until you show it to them - S. Jobs.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
That's the unspoken aspect of this discussion. While that polygon art looked fantastic, they wanted destructible environs and some player-made voxel art is extremely nice. Some of that voxel artwork has obviously progressed since 2011...
Why? Why do we need voxels? Who cares about Minecraftian destructible environments? Nobody gives a fuck. MAKE AN MMO. You had the Freeport shots looking great. God damnit. This stupid fucking industry.

When Daybreak lets EQN see, well, the light of day, it's going to shamble out and ask Dumar to shoot it.
Nuking from orbit, only way to be sure.

rrr_img_90525.jpg

tad10

Elisha Dushku
EQ with dynamic mobs. We get it.
Don't conflate what I want with what I'd accept especially since you're the guy who asked "What do you want" and then apparently didn't read my reply.

I'd have accepted EQ with dynamic mobs and better graphics, but what I want is a lot more than that.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think people just like to shit on a preferred play style.

the original conversation has gone way off course. I was just questioning the decision to scrap eq3 and extend the development cycle of their most popular IP by years. It seems like a missed opportunity to make some money instead of lose it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Why wouldn't you scrap a game that was basically grinding or questing to max level and then start raiding? Shit has been done for decades. Nobody wants that really which is why they wanted something new.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think people just like to shit on a preferred play style.

the original conversation has gone way off course. I was just questioning the decision to scrap eq3 and extend the development cycle of their most popular IP by years. It seems like a missed opportunity to make some money instead of lose it.
They fucked up. Add storybricks to eq3 and release it. You can still do eq next. Eq next had nothing to do with the eq ip. It was just used for marketing. They could have done both. If next was a great game then it would have stood on its own.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Why wouldn't you scrap a game that was basically grinding or questing to max level and then start raiding? Shit has been done for decades. Nobody wants that really which is why they wanted something new.
You do it for exactly the reasons stated previously: EQ had horrendously dated graphics and EQII was its own little disaster - so you release a graphically improved EQ for those folks to play while working on EQNext with all the bells and whistles.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess you just refuse to see what I'm saying. They spend years working on eq3 only to scrap it. Was it wise? Finish the game then move on and make your EQL/EQN. Why hold the IP up for so long with reboots? Not to mention wasting money.

Unless you guys are trying to say eq3 would have not made money??

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
They fucked up. Add storybricks to eq3 and release it. You can still do eq next. Eq next had nothing to do with the eq ip. It was just used for marketing. They could have done both. I'd next and a great game then it would have stood on its own.
Exactly this. EverQuest Next is nothing but a concept car you see during an auto show. It's never going to be released, it's just an opportunity for some designers to waste some money and pontificate on some future concept/ideas while exciting the audience of "what could be". The name even reflects that, EverQuestNext.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With that group of dipshits at the helm? Yes, I think that's what everyone believes.
Here is where I disagree. The front and center folks fell in love with their EQN idea, so they would have followed that project most likely, assuming they wanted to start rolling with it.

The workers who never get the proper credit would probably get the less desirable eq3 project. Ultimatly putting together an awesome game.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Actually I'm going to go further:

You couldn't be more wrong. People want something new, yes, but people also like old familiar things. Look at WoW there is an untapped market for Vanilla WoW/WoW Progression servers that is currently only being met by third parties like Emerald Dream (if it is still running).

Similarly there is an untapped market for slightly improved versions of old things: that's why people with an iPhone 4S spend $500 bucks buying an iPhone 5 or 6. So instead of a new expansion, at some point the best answer for your players is just a new version of the same game and having them start again at level 1 and let the old game continue on without anything new added until the playerbase has moved on.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I really don't think there is an untapped market for progression WoW servers. Are there people who want such a thing? Certainly, but I wager that it is such a niche population that it may as well be non existent.

Those indy progression type things mostly thrive as labors of love, I don't think there is any way you could sell enough subscriptions based on that content to justify the development team necessary to support it.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here is where I disagree. The front and center folks fell in love with their EQN idea, so they would have followed that project most likely, assuming they wanted to start rolling with it.

The workers who never get the proper credit would probably get the less desirable eq3 project. Ultimatly putting together an awesome game.
Wrong.

SOE is devoid of enough talent to create a successful game. It's the equivalent of a listing ship, always on the verge of sinking. I'm always intrigued on how people can still believe, after years and years of failure, that SoE is capable of creating "an awesome game." Even if they could, does anyone believe they would make good stewards?

People should move on from this dumpster fire and hope that the EQ IP gets sold off to a capable developer that has the potential to make a good game. That's the best you can really hope for at this point.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I really don't think there is an untapped market for progression WoW servers. Are there people who want such a thing? Certainly, but I wager that it is such a niche population that it may as well be non existent.

Those indy progression type things mostly thrive as labors of love, I don't think there is any way you could sell enough subscriptions based on that content to justify the development team necessary to support it.
If EQ Progression servers are any indication - yes, there's a decent market.

@Xaxius unfortunately I agree.