EQ Never

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
My problem with voxels isn't so much how it looks as it is that everything had to be engineered to make room for them. Its why everything had to be scrapped. My problem with voxels is it is a massive, massive component of the game world and experience that must be accounted for in literally every other aspect of the game, at the expense of other elements, energy, development attention, cost, and general art direction of non-voxel associated components. The change in art direction was to accommodate both voxels and soemote. While this is selfish, those are two feature I could personally do without in favor of a slightly less Pixar art style and more emphasis on the core gaming tenets Everquest evokes.

They could have literally just plugged in storybricks and EQN would have been revolutionary.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Agreed that it looks better, but it's not there yet. Textures are flat and don't sport near the detail of the polygon version. It still looks like a wreck from a distance but apparently they're working hard on the draw distance.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would have enjoyed voxel tech in regards to harvesting. I really didn't need the whole destructible world or anything.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Voxel architecture in landmark currently doesn't look anywhere near that bad, lots of it looks great. Isn't that the most reasonable benchmark to judge how eqn probably looks instead of years old pictures from when the Voxel toolkit and technique was way shittier.
That's the unspoken aspect of this discussion. While that polygon art looked fantastic, they wanted destructible environs and some player-made voxel art is extremely nice. Some of that voxel artwork has obviously progressed since 2011...

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Flex,
I think that is the most valid argument against the previous mgmt. They could have already been much further along with some significant upgrades but wanted to go all out on new and underdeveloped ideas and tech. Blizzard has already shown where simpler looking tech helps shift resources to other areas like smoother animations and less server issues. Will voxels and Storybricks take them to the next step? Or will not enough people care or too much was spent in the effort? I do like the thought of something completely new and innovative though. Is Daybreak really the company to provide that?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Flex,
I think that is the most valid argument against the previous mgmt. They could have already been much further along with some significant upgrades but wanted to go all out on new and underdeveloped ideas and tech. Blizzard has already shown where simpler looking tech helps shift resources to other areas like smoother animations and less server issues. Will voxels and Storybricks take them to the next step? Or will not enough people care or too much was spent in the effort? I do like the thought of something completely new and innovative though. Is Daybreak really the company to provide that?
Part of me thinks Daybreak is going to take the "Get this shit done and out the door and making us money" approach and we'll see a half finished disaster.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Part of me thinks Daybreak is going to take the "Get this shit done and out the door and making us money" approach and we'll see a half finished disaster.
my concern, I wonder how much money has been spent and what is left allocated to this project? It definitely feels like EQN needs like 2 more years?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So at this point, EQ3 could be out and EQL could be used to test future tech for EQ3 and EQN! What could have been...

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
What are you, stupid? You gotta cram everything in there all at once, but first we gotta burn years of work to the ground.

"I have to be honest with you. We have completely blown up the design of EverQuest Next. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary. It was EverQuest III. It was something that was slightly better that what had come before it. IT was slightly better. What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you've never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn't want more Kill 10 Rats quests. We didn't want more of the same. If you look at the MMOs out there, they'r delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game.
What I will commit to is, at the next Fan Faire, not only will you get to see it but you will get to touch it. Most of the EQNext devs are in this room. If you get them drunk enough they might tell you. They're led by Dave Georgeson. Terry Michaels. Vets from EQ and EQ2. We are remaking Norrath unlike anything you've ever seen, but you'll recognize it. I'm sorry we don't have anything to show for it, but I wanted to be honest with you and tell you a little bit about it. Keep the faith." - John Smedley
When Daybreak lets EQN see, well, the light of day, it's going to shamble out and ask Dumar to shoot it.

the-fly_brundlefly.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
just like people need to get away from telling other people what type of game they want to play... It cuts both ways
No one is telling you want game to enjoy. People are telling you the type of game you want to play is not something a lot of people want and really not worthy of a large investment.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No one is telling you want game to enjoy. People are telling you the type of game you want to play is not something a lot of people want and really not worthy of a large investment.
is there a such thing as a worthy investment anymore with the MMO world? It's all a crapshoot at this point.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
YAY
029.jpg

BOO
030.jpg

YAY
rrr_img_90513.jpg

Very Planetside 2, early voxel development, note the Paladin from the leak, and the traditional locations listed highlighted in green.Is this map relevant anymore?
rrr_img_90514.jpg
Can we please stop doing this to ourselves.

It's not just SoE but the entire MMO industry loves to string you along with hype images and videos (which are completely staged) and then derail to reality.

It's depressing.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Can we please stop doing this to ourselves.

It's not just SoE but the entire MMO industry loves to string you along with hype images and videos (which are completely staged) and then derail to reality.

It's depressing.
You're correct, with that said the reason this is so impactful to us is a community is the fact that its associated with Everquest. Pure and simple. If this was the saga of Blizzard's Titan, I'd give zero fucks.You show me a voxel cumdumpster with "Innothule" and "Freeport" on the map, now I'm angry.We regard EQ like its the Prophet Muhammad.

Crowfall, don't let me down.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What are you, stupid? You gotta cram everything in there all at once, but first we gotta burn years of work to the ground.

When Daybreak lets EQN see, well, the light of day, it's going to shamble out and ask Dumar to shoot it.
I have zero confidence in [any studio's] ability to design a desirable PVE side of a non-instanced world, let alone a sandbox PVE.

Crowfall, don't let me down.
Wasn't the whole point of voxels so that the community could contribute in very much artists can contribute to Dota2 items? There has to be some idea behind making money for just building things in EQN.

Landmark showed me just how shitty the icons of items were and how the UI was horrendous. Building things with vowels was pretty tedious, but could be enjoyable if you just wanted to vege out and not have to do PvE/PvP stuff.

I hope crowfall does it right. We just need the core of the game to work. Anything else is just bonus. It needs to have a dynamic community so that people have a world with people to interact with and the combat system needs to be fun. I already like their character progression UIs and the look is very clean and easy to understand.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I hate to Tom Friedman this, but it seems like its going to take about 6 months before enough dust settles and any information is released in order to see where EQN is heading. Anything other than that is salty speculation..

BTW ITT.

"Doris: You have no values. With you it's all nihilism, cynicism, sarcasm, and orgasm.

Harry: Hey, in France I could run for office with that slogan, and win!"
But in all seriousness, you could do a sociological study of this thread. Its like there are group of people who for some reason got really hurt by something a video game company did and they cloak themselves in this shell of cynicism to protect this tiny precious part of them that is still left alive.

Im hoping EQN is good.. but if its not, meh, who really cares. Ill be more upset if I get an overcooked burger next time I go to WoodNTap.