EQ Never

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Everquest is an iconic game. One of the pioneering MMO's. That alone makes the EQ franchise great. Just look at the post count in these forums compared to other threads. Its the same on other MMO sites, EQNext created a buzz, which of course has died down now.

Also, while EQ2 was crushed by WoW, it wasnt actually too bad in its hay-day - I enjoyed it.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
I'm just looking for an MMO that doesn't have such pathetic, slow-drip item progression. I tried playing LOTRO for a few months and every item I got was +1 to what I already had with a different skin. This seems to be the norm, if you're not playing end-game content.

In EverQuest, you could get pieces of armor/weapons that significantly increased your power and ability, that you could use at end level. I dunno why it felt so amazing, but getting illusion masks, fungi tunic, all parts of class armor, fbss, fishbone earring, it felt like an accomplishment. I can't remember one of the items I've had from any other MMOs I've played..

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I'm just looking for an MMO that doesn't have such pathetic, slow-drip item progression. I tried playing LOTRO for a few months and every item I got was +1 to what I already had with a different skin. This seems to be the norm, if you're not playing end-game content.

In EverQuest, you could get pieces of armor/weapons that significantly increased your power and ability, that you could use at end level. I dunno why it felt so amazing, but getting illusion masks, fungi tunic, all parts of class armor, fbss, fishbone earring, it felt like an accomplishment. I can't remember one of the items I've had from any other MMOs I've played..
Another thing that Vanguard did well although not as well as EQ and EQ2 perhaps. The Cragwind weapons come to mind, Hunters League, VT... always bummed that Trengel Keep didn't have better rewards other than drops off bosses tho.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thinking more on migrating spawns and degenerate farmers, it would be neat if such were accounted for and the gameplay flexed to it.
Farming too much of an item? Surefall Glade will come after you.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't think you can call Eq a great franchise since it had only one success. You need multiple successes to be a great franchis.

Renquist_sl

shitlord
You're reaching there Draegan.

By that logic that would mean that Ultima>EQ. What do you consider expansions? Everquest laid the framework for modern day MMO's with the leveling system. That alone makes the franchise great.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That makes EQ noteworthy. Doesn't make it great. And EQ2 was a weaker seller and never hit similar numbers as the previous installation, nor was EQOA a major seller either.

Though I will say, the PS2 offline games were pretty cool.

Otherwise, that is one "Franchise" that had a bunch of crap and one "well, there's literally nothing else" game.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Then what are the franchises? Is WoW a franchise with just the one game? Does that mean Lineage and FF are the only true franchises since they had solid success more than once? What is the standard in the MMO world for success? Many considered TESO and SWToR moderate successes since they are earning consistent money for their companies. Is that bar too low?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

By that logic that would mean that Ultima>EQ. What do you consider expansions? Everquest laid the framework for modern day MMO's with the leveling system. That alone makes the franchise great.
Ultima was a great franchise because it had a decade worth of great games. You prove your worth by continuing to produce product that continue to keep you relevant. EQ was never relevant again in the marketplace post WOW. Not gonna take away anything from EQ because it has it's place in history though.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>

You are basically saying The Matrix Trilogy was a great franchise because the First matrix was good (even though the other 2 sucked large bowls of dick).

Draegan is correct here. Everquest 1 was good but one good game does not a franchise make. Ultima Franchise is far > Everquest Franchise.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Then what are the franchises? Is WoW a franchise with just the one game?
WoW is not a franchise. Warcraft IS a franchise, with 5 games (3 strategy games, 1 MMORPG, 1 Card game, all of which are big successes), a collectible card game, several tie-in novels, a tabletop RPG, comics and manga, a movie, etc.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Didn't play eq2. What made that expansion so good?
The xpac I stopped playing hardcore at :/
I knew it was gonna be good but I was spending too much time already playing so I sorta quit. Cap stayed at level 70 so you kind of had 2 xpacs worth of content, too

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
This is a joke, right??
Nope. Consider the numbers of MMO that came after (except the semi open-ended AC) that had 50 levels "like EQ", or 60 "like EQ with Kunark" just after. At a time where all MUDs had 99 levels! With REMORT!

I'm half convinced the only reason GW2 has 80 levels is because WoW had 80 levels when they were developing it.

EQ might not have been the first, but it's been the one that inspired the rest.