EQ Never

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This may release but it won't be anything like they were wanting or described earlier. That ship and the funding for it left the building. There just isn't enough leadership and focus at Daybreak. And the new overlords are nowhere near as patient. I expect to see this turd*(Daybreak) dumped in the next year or so with H1Z1 as the only new release.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Landmark issue atm but could be an issue with EQN if they do not look at it.

Landmark devs: Respawning is working as designed | Massively Overpowered
This was actually one of the things they were so excited about from the day they "announced" the game. You murder everything in an area, they don't just respawn there to be killed again, they move someplace that is safer for them. You cut down every tree in the forest, well you just screwed yourself, because now you have to travel farther to find resources. Of course, the people playing Landmark are not interested in much more than gathering resources as quickly as possible, so they can get back to building shit. Most could care less about Next.

So yeah, I can see this as something actually working as intended, but the audience can't grasp the concept behind it, or how it is actually a cool dynamic.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
This was actually one of the things they were so excited about from the day they "announced" the game. You murder everything in an area, they don't just respawn there to be killed again, they move someplace that is safer for them. You cut down every tree in the forest, well you just screwed yourself, because now you have to travel farther to find resources. Of course, the people playing Landmark are not interested in much more than gathering resources as quickly as possible, so they can get back to building shit. Most could care less about Next.

So yeah, I can see this as something actually working as intended, but the audience can't grasp the concept behind it, or how it is actually a cool dynamic.
Exactly! Finally something different, only thing I see as a possible problem is nothing is happening from the devoid of things. From their original concept other things should be moving in and changing the area. Since this isnt setup with the final parts, its partly broken. The landscape is waiting to be triggered to the next mode.

While their claim that all is working as it should be, which it is, but its broken in the fact that they havent finished the other half of the next phase thus its not completing the cycle and showing what should be happening next. This is why players are confused. If the next half was able to start and change the landscape like they have claimed, it would show some sort of change.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
In a game with largely nothing to do, when you give people even less to do they're going to think it sucks. A mechanic that might work in a hypothetical real MMO, it damn sure doesn't in the ghost towns of Landmark.

Algrinon_sl

shitlord
I am just saying fuck you Brad and fuck you Smed - between the two of you, you have both fucked up everything that was good, right, and holy within MMOs. Between the ePeen of Smed and the drug use of Brad we ended up with too much brown and versions of EQ that just suck.

You both are rat bastards.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
vMp5DYH.jpg

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like the Disney look of characters, the humans at least, the faces and colors specifically. The Kerrans need a tweak. Bulky weapons and armors should be toned down. Bulkiness in WoW is what ultimately turned me off to that game because I hated the way my character looked like the more I upgraded him. Big hands small head, merp.

I like the idea of changing landscapes and things going extinct and the theoretical battle to keep things alive, perhaps even having that protection be an integral part to druids and rangers or even paladins, while others want to burn the world. The realist in me thinks raising everything would be profitable to those that do it and those that do it won't care about the sustainability of their actions.

I agree with the kat that said moving spawns won't work as well if the other moving environment plans never come into fruition.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, when you set up an intricate AI system and then 'fire' the programmers for it...there might be some issues.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like the Disney look of characters, the humans at least, the faces and colors specifically. The Kerrans need a tweak. Bulky weapons and armors should be toned down. Bulkiness in WoW is what ultimately turned me off to that game because I hated the way my character looked like the more I upgraded him. Big hands small head, merp.

I like the idea of changing landscapes and things going extinct and the theoretical battle to keep things alive, perhaps even having that protection be an integral part to druids and rangers or even paladins, while others want to burn the world. The realist in me thinks raising everything would be profitable to those that do it and those that do it won't care about the sustainability of their actions.

I agree with the kat that said moving spawns won't work as well if the other moving environment plans never come into fruition.
Also to some extant player population density effects this. If there are enough players hunting around to harvest the stuff its going to respawn somewhat evenly. If you have a couple guys harvesting stuff you wind up with all your respawn being away from those guys so you basically wind up chasing the spawn hither and yon.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So, we have had a little bit of info on what's going on with EQN development. Isn't much, but this thread's been in an info drought, so fuck it:

First, since the Landmark wipe last month, the devs are now fully focused on EQN, and aren't doing any Landmark-only stuff for the foreseeable future.

Second, at the last Landmark live stream, they mentioned the major things they're currently working on. Daybreak's working on the Forgelight 2 engine, and while EQN isn't going to be using it, they're going to be pulling off parts of it to use, the major piece being DirectX 11 compatibility. They're working on the tech that will allow them to make the continent-sized world spaces they'll need for EQN (which I believe is the first explicit confirmation we've gotten that EQN is supposed to be zoneless, although I've been assuming it would be). And they're iterating on the combat systems.

So yeah, there's our news, probably for the next few months.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Confirmed:

-they're making partial use of Forgelight 1.5
- EQN will hopefully have continents (pending tech improvements)
- Despite SOE Combat Live from a year and a half ago, they're still working on combat

Sounds like things are going well in voxel land.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I was once very excited for this game. How can the great franchise of Everquest be so fucked right now?
Great franchise?

Hah.

Hahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah. The EQ1 was good, up til PoPish. And EQOA was apparently good, though I never played it (No PS1). But to call it a great franchise? Rose-colored glasses, much?