EQ Never

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Outside of Terry Michaels and a few H1Z1 devs, is there any recognizable people left at DB?

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Outside of Terry Michaels and a few H1Z1 devs, is there any recognizable people left at DB?
Domino, Steve Klug, Rosie. Still some talent, mostly people who can't move from San Diego for family reasons and the unemployable ones.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
FUCK DAYBREAK!

I've been playing SOE games loyally since EQ1. Someone posted last year about them not fixing missing items. I just had 80 marks disappear, and the answer back was they don't do that anymore. They used to fix their glitches. I can't play a game when I can wake up and be missing marks.

This whole time, since EQ1, I've always supported SOE products, other than a six month gap. I've always had a sub with them. I'll email CS one last time, and then after that, if it's not resolved, I'm done. It's like the writing is on the wall.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FUCK DAYBREAK!

I've been playing SOE games loyally since EQ1. Someone posted last year about them not fixing missing items. I just had 80 marks disappear, and the answer back was they don't do that anymore. They used to fix their glitches. I can't play a game when I can wake up and be missing marks.

This whole time, since EQ1, I've always supported SOE products, other than a six month gap. I've always had a sub with them. I'll email CS one last time, and then after that, if it's not resolved, I'm done. It's like the writing is on the wall.
I find it hard to take you serious.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
FUCK DAYBREAK!

rrr_img_123603.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The voxels idea was interesting, but unless there's a humongous pay-wall to keep the "average" mmorpg player out, it had a lot more potential for trolling than it does for cool stuff by far. Or just being really shitty overall to look at things, hah.

I'd be interested to see what their in-game implementation would be for EQ:N, but I had/have very little hopes it'll be anywhere near as good as it was touted or even presented in Landmark, let alone being good in the first place.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The voxels idea was interesting, but unless there's a humongous pay-wall to keep the "average" mmorpg player out, it had a lot more potential for trolling than it does for cool stuff by far. Or just being really shitty overall to look at things, hah.

I'd be interested to see what their in-game implementation would be for EQ:N, but I had/have very little hopes it'll be anywhere near as good as it was touted or even presented in Landmark, let alone being good in the first place.
You'll never see it because it never worked in the first place and the game has pretty much been cancelled.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's tragic that Smedley's reach always so greatly exceeds his grasp. I think those of us who have been following SOE since the beginning knew they were over-promising on their technology. They had some interesting ideas (especially the "dynamic" territory battles), but ultimately they made the classic mistake of assuming everything would be easy to implement and work flawlessly. When I was going to school for game design we had huge plans for our final project. What we delivered wasn't even half the feature list of our initial pitch because (surprise!) scripting and engine modification is tricky to get working exactly the way you want. EQNext seems like a similar situation to me, but I'm not an insider so what do I know?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The voxels idea had so much potential, dammit.
No, it only seemed that way. I drank the Kool-Aid for a couple of months after FanFaire before coming to my senses. Large scale desetructible terrain is a terrible idea for an MMORPG, great idea for a smaller game or as a limited feature to some of the instanced content in an MMO (Raid X, Y, Z are standard, Raid A has semi-destructible/constructible area - where you're expected to build steps to get to the top of a wall or wtf), but otherwise open to abuse by players, impossible to design encounters for properly (unless you specifically restrict destructibility for all your encounters) and otherwise just a big mess.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
They need to scrap this and make a new Champions of Norrath game. If this ultimately never comes to light I'd be okay with the Everquest franchise falling off the map until some fresh blood resurrects it in 10 years and makes a new game that actually does it justice. I have a bad feeling that whatever they have steaming right now isn't going to be what the majority of us want it to be. EQ1 and 2 will forever hold some of my best gaming memories, and I dearly want to see the franchise succeed, I just don't think that is what it's moving towards at this juncture, especially with the transition to DBG.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
In 10 years the game will almost be 30, no one will care. You'll have to wait 25 years so you can tap into nostalgia of when the 20 year olds are retiring and have hours of free time to play again.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
And that's something that I've come to terms with, especially seeing how much more culturally relevant things like WoW are. It sucks that the vast majority of MMO orientated gamers these days have never experienced something like EQ or even vanilla WoW for that matter. The industry has been moving in a less than perfect direction for awhile, and outside of smaller niche developers, kickstarters, and indie studios, you just aren't going to see something with anything remotely like a spark of inspiration. And it's not even about companies catering to the masses to hit that magical WoW level of subs marker, most newer games just don't have the depth or meaningful feel to them that sucked me into some of the earlier titles.

To be completely honest, losing Everquest and Norrath as a setting isn't that terrible. The storyline and lore has become so convoluted and bloated at this point that it really is a bit of a steamer. There are some cool bits, but it's clear they've been lost for awhile. Nostalgia to the look, sound, and feel is one of the only solid ties to the IP and any newer game they make is going to be so far removed just from a shiny new tech and visuals stand point that it will be diluted at best, so why not just start fresh. The biggest thing I miss from Everquest anymore is meaningful loot progression that isn't trivialized the second you hit the next level tier and equip the same thing +1. I loved being able to put some time and effort into getting something that would last my character well into their later levels, and it wasn't about best in slot, but the best thing you get with your time and effort that didn't get replaced by the first thing you picked up off a dead rat 5 levels later. If they could capture that and modernize it, and recreate the realistic feeling of having no idea where you were, needing to explore, learn, and have actual layered and varied kinds of skill, they can take Everquest out back and shoot it for all I care.