EQ Never

Siliconemelons

I have an odd feeling that EQ:N will be a multi-facet game of the sorts of freerealms . You will have two or so full fledged games inside the overall world game, I also ponder the possibility of some crossover from PSN home to eq, be it live avatars or an actual local that is a ooc nexus of sorts that is both... That is if psn home is staying alive. Also boost subs by linking psn+ accounts with a discounted eqn month sub or something.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The only takeaway from today's interview I got was that we're in Jeff Butler's world now. So it's worth revisiting some of his interviews to get a handle on his thinking.

http://vanguardvault.ign.com/View.ph...s.Detail&id=11

Some interesting quotes if you don't want to read the whole thing or any of the thing

Vanguard Vault: What was the biggest hurdle you had to address to be happy to launch the game?

Jeff Butler: The fun-factor. Adventuring, that offered something more than games with other play styles that came before; Crafting, that was a mini-game; Diplomacy that has never been done in any game; Non combat-based conflict such as you see in novels -- integrating all of those things in one game world and being able to experience those things and walk away and say "Damn that was fun". We redid diplomacy more than five times, and crafting went through a similar number of iterations. We worked diligently on all those systems, because we wanted to say as gamers, "that's fun, its rock-solid". Something we can point back to years from now that there was depth in there that even we didn't expect when we engineered it.

Vanguard Vault: Do you like the game being known as the "hardcore MMO"?

Jeff Butler: I don't like it at all. If we were a hardcore MMO we wouldn't be getting my $14.95. OK, that's a simple thing--I'll say this to everyone: I do not have time to make one of every character class, I do not have the time to invest. I would love to but I don't. I have level-sixties in World of Warcraft, I have a Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies. I was able to play these games and reach a level I was proud of. But come on, I'm not going to beat my head against a wall. I don't want to cause people to lose their jobs or bomb out of school. I want them to have a lot of fun--with replayability and a strong feeling of achievement, but that's got to be graspable. You have to feel that you can see the end game, even if its going to be some work to get there.

Core, not hardcore. For sure. If there are hardcore elements in the game, then we want to get past them. Those are design imbalances right now. We want everyone to have fun. We want people to really sink their teeth into the game, and after they reach the pinnacle of their career, they can say they have more memories playing Vanguard, more amazingly fun times, than any other MMO they played.
For fun, you can drink everytime the word fun is repeated.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Well, we know for one thing the Brad Mcquaid is involved to some degree, along with Butler. As far as I know they were the vision for EQ and they buddied up to make Vanguard. I'm a fan of their MMO ideology so to speak, so at the very least I like to think that they have some amount of the creative input being taken into consideration for the games design, which gives me some hope.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'll settle for a not shit Vanguard with the PlanetSide 2 engine.

Less than that and we start entering "pissed off land".

rolx_sl

shitlord
Lol he should say that the biggest hurdle for vanguard was grinding hours of exp and then falling through the world in millions of places only to come back with a lost level of experience. Or falling through the world and being bugged for hours. Roll backs that were making people lose multiple levels ect is what caused that game to fail. Straight bug fest. I had really high hopes for vanguard when it was in beta. There was a lot of interesting quest stuff that I liked, never really cared for the diplomacy. But a lot of the higher end zones were pretty tough and took some decent group work.

The only takeaway from today's interview I got was that we're in Jeff Butler's world now. So it's worth revisiting some of his interviews to get a handle on his thinking.

http://vanguardvault.ign.com/View.ph...s.Detail&id=11

Some interesting quotes if you don't want to read the whole thing or any of the thing

For fun, you can drink everytime the word fun is repeated.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Well, we know for one thing the Brad Mcquaid is involved to some degree, along with Butler. As far as I know they were the vision for EQ and they buddied up to make Vanguard. I'm a fan of their MMO ideology so to speak, so at the very least I like to think that they have some amount of the creative input being taken into consideration for the games design, which gives me some hope.
I remember was either John Smelley or Dave Georgeson mentioned they had the "origin-thinkers" redesign EQN, I bet Brad and Buler are one of them.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
In chat, Elidroth was pretty clear that Brad was doing fine and only working on EQ1. While there might be some influence via osmosis, EQN looks very much like Jeff Butler's project, with Dave Georgeson undoubtedly there to make sure it completes on time. It's been a while, but after Sigil was bought by SOE, Butler moved to SOE to work on an MMO prototype. Last I heard about Butler before this week was that the prototype project was canceled and he'd left SOE - but seems that Smedley figured they needed Butler to recapture the magic of original EQ and brought him back.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Well atleast they are using the planetside engine, so it should look ok, run ok and not be that buggy compared to vanguard!

Butler and Brad also have better visions for what makes a game good than most of the morons bouncing around the industry. VG failed because it was managed like shit and they made bad business decisions, not so much cause they made bad gameplay decisions.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well atleast they are using the planetside engine, so it should look ok, run ok and not be that buggy compared to vanguard!

Butler and Brad also have better visions for what makes a game good than most of the morons bouncing around the industry. VG failed because it was managed like shit and they made bad business decisions, not so much cause they made bad gameplay decisions.
...Have you played planetside 2? The game is the most un-optimized piece of shit... Fun game though!

Tol_sl

shitlord
Eh, I was running PS2 on a core 2 duo with a video card from 2007ish, and didnt have any performance issues. Now that I have an average system (i5 3570k) It's running amazingly. I don't think that's bad at all. When I think of unoptimized Pieces of shit, I think of stuff like GTA4 and saints row 2 ports. PS2 seems alright to me, personally.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
PS2 wasnt the best running game ever but I stick by saying it ran ok. Comparing it to vanguard is kinda insane, vanguard was nearly unplayable for me on a mid range system in anything but small group play, even if there was another group near my group it became near unplayable. All while looking like dogshit because you had to rape your settings so hard to get even that performance.

Those guys at VG just made bad decisions and tried to do their whole graphics of the future bullshit and it just ended up sucking.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's funny that EQ2 made similar choices with their engine when they were looking to the future. I vaguely recall an interview with one of the techies who worked on EQ2 that said that they had planned on processors to continue to get faster and faster, but instead the technology moved towards multiple CPUs that were roughly the same processing power as they were when EQ2 was being developed. That's why EQ2stillruns like shit, ten years later - the engine can only use one of your processors instead of all of them.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
It's funny that EQ2 made similar choices with their engine when they were looking to the future. I vaguely recall an interview with one of the techies who worked on EQ2 that said that they had planned on processors to continue to get faster and faster, but instead the technology moved towards multiple CPUs that were roughly the same processing power as they were when EQ2 was being developed. That's why EQ2stillruns like shit, ten years later - the engine can only use one of your processors instead of all of them.
I've overclocked my processor to 5ghz and it still runs like shit. So maybe the engine is just crappy.