EQ Never

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Consider the source. I don't know why any of you trust anything any of these video game sites says.

I'm hopeful and being a sandbox is a step in the right direction, but being named best of show is a fucking joke.

Siliconemelons

I told everyone back on FoH that TOR would not be the "sent by Jesus" game they all said it would be... oh the negative internets...oh the truth...

Also to be fair, all of those where given by the same type of "wool over the eyes" that every game did... EQN was...well we don't know, what we do know is every outlet that got to see it has said nothing (in fear of ultra tight NDA breaking?) or said it is awesome... /shrug.. still kinda have to think there is something there with a non-release non-debute non-'anything' game gets best of show.

We will know in about a month and a half ;-)

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Consider the source. I don't know why any of you trust anything any of these video game sites says.

I'm hopeful and being a sandbox is a step in the right direction, but being named best of show is a fucking joke.
We'll know August 2nd whether it is or isn't. Tick-tock.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Point well taking. I think I more just acknowledge the fact that of all the games and all the hype around them this is the one I'm going to remain the most optimistic about. As in I truly believe they have a unique, fun game they made. Won't be long now.

Siliconemelons

WARNING RANDOM XADION ANALOGY ALERT!

EQ was the 30-somethings older woman that took our virginity, had depth to her, experience of some years, loved us and wanted truly to give us a gift and a warm embrace.

then we left her and did not acknowledge her because it was not cool anymore, and now the girls our age have boobs and other fun bits...enter...

WoW - the dumb blond bimbo that does all the tricks but has no real substance, her stories are cool but if you try and keep up with them they get convoluted and more and more stupid- but damn does she look good and plays nicely with all those new tricks and other exciting features you want to experiment with.

EQ2 was your firsts slightly younger sister, the same type of world- but still a little aged, attempted the new tricks but just did not have it.

you still go back and visit EQ for all its goodness and love, but it is getting to old...she cant do all the new tricks...the dumb young blond is even getting older but she gets some work done, some fake tits and a tuck here and there while she does the new-old tricks with the light out now or with a little different twist...but the same shallowness comes back in the end.

What is this? you just noticed EQ had a daughter and she is turning 18 in august? she may have been trained by mum and sis, and is young and new and can do all the tricks but with a open and fresh mindset ready to explore! Looks different but the same, in all the good ways! Do you send the friend request?! What is that! Mum EQ and EQ2 sent YOU the invite for this "next" edition?! ... I think we all are awaiting eagerly.

random analogy alert over!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Point well taking. I think I more just acknowledge the fact that of all the games and all the hype around them this is the one I'm going to remain the most optimistic about. As in I truly believe they have a unique, fun game they made. Won't be long now.
My biggest fear with this game honestly is it being on the PS4. We all know it's going to happen. I'm afraid too much will have to be dumb downed to make this play on a console.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Which aspect of gameplay would require dumbing down to play on a next-gen console?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My biggest fear with this game honestly is it being on the PS4. We all know it's going to happen. I'm afraid too much will have to be dumb downed to make this play on a console.
I can understand that concern but It's my understanding that the PS4 is a pretty capable console? Not sure they would have to dumb down anything. Maybe just tweak some stuff like the UI for the PS4 version?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Which aspect of gameplay would require dumbing down to play on a next-gen console?
UI, controls, graphic options, graphical upgrades. I can't ever recall a MMO done on a console and a PC well. I remember DCUO had a fucking abysmal chat interface because it was designed around being used with a controller. Maybe this gen will be different and they learned from their mistakes. We shall see.

Siliconemelons

When I got the beta for FF11 or whatever the first online FF was- I could not play the thing- the controls where terribad... then I plugged in a PS2 replica gamepad- it was night and day. I believe they changed it up and made it better, no idea on how 14 is- but usually people are concerned with the UI etc for console and computer titles... if they make two different styles the computer almost always trumps the console- nothing beats keyboard and mouse... but on the other side of things, when I beta tested EQ Online Adventures I could plug up a USB keyboard and played with it + controller...was kind of odd.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
UI, controls, graphic options, graphical upgrades. I can't ever recall a MMO done on a console and a PC well. I remember DCUO had a fucking abysmal chat interface because it was designed around being used with a controller. Maybe this gen will be different and they learned from their mistakes. We shall see.
I assure you that graphic "options" [?] and upgrades [performance?] will not be an issue with the PS4. Unless you've shelled out a couple thousand dollars on hardware for your PC in the last couple years, the PS4 is probably better than what you're using now. The UI can obviously be fucked up if they have one UI for both console and PC (especially if they disallow UI mods), but I'll give them benefit of the doubt and assume they'll have two separate UIs.

An oft overlooked fact about consoles is that the programmers know 100% what the hardware is in each machine that will be running their software so they can tweak their engine to the max and know that the performance they see on their test console will be the performance the user will experience. This is far from the case with PCs. So while consoles won't have the latest, most expensive hardware inside, they benefit from extensive engine tweaking that allows developers to make them run much more efficiently than their PC counterparts.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'd be stoked on EQnext for a console if I could play it with a Bluetooth keyboard + mouse :p

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I assure you that graphic "options" [?] and upgrades [performance?] will not be an issue with the PS4. Unless you've shelled out a couple thousand dollars on hardware for your PC in the last couple years, the PS4 is probably better than what you're using now.
You say that now maybe, but what about 3 years from now, or 5 years? Consoles have what a 7 year life span it seems? A mid range PC(~$1k) is better then the ps4 right now, probably even be able to do it for less. I can't imagine what it will be like in just 2-3 years.

Siliconemelons

Consoles are still dedicated hardware and programing and their "lower" specs do more than better or comparable spec'ed PC - like a xbox was what, 300? 600mhz p3 with 256ram and a GeForce 2? or was it 3...gx version none the less I think.

According to many that I have talked to say that the PS3 still has graphical potential that could be sucked out of it if the devs cared to do it- so much programming now days is a waste and very lazy/bad- Nintendo is always the best at showing off what proper programming can get you vs lazy or generic programming.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You say that now maybe, but what about 3 years from now, or 5 years? Consoles have what a 7 year life span it seems? A mid range PC(~$1k) is better then the ps4 right now, probably even be able to do it for less. I can't imagine what it will be like in just 2-3 years.
Why are you talking about 5 years down the line? Of course PC's will be vastly superior then, but we're talking about EQNext here and it's being made with current PC's and, guaranteed, the PS4 in mind.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Whatever I just jacked off in public after reading that e3 review. The wheel of time has spun another age of everquest. It is not a new game, but it is a beginning. We should all jack off in the name of Veeshan