EQ Never

So much love in this thread! Wonder if we are gonna be arguing about this shit 30 years from now lol.
I <3 daly's link!

Qwerty, explain why you can not have both voice chat and plain text chat? How would it affect you if a group of friends use and in game voice chat instead of Skype or vent?
Because it never works well in games that do that. You end up with some people using it and some people don't use it, and it segregates people. You end up with groups looking for a healer or something - oh, must have voice chat. And vice versa. You end up often joining groups and nobody talks because they are all together in a voice chat somewhere so you play in utter silence, or you have to join them. You end up with people using it on raids because it's faster and more efficient, so raids without voice chat just don't exist.

When the game promotes one way or the other, you get what you wanted. If there is no "push to talk" built in to the game, most people type. These days admittedly people do tend to use it on raids whether it's built in to the game or not, but still, at least in dungeons and general groups there is no voice chat. And if you do want voice chat, play a game like HoN or whatever and everyone talks constantly. So it should be one way or the other.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't vent out toward 2001 or so? I wasn't playing any games then but I recall a bunch of friends using something for all their eq raids. I think it was more prevalent than you realized. And I know it was all over the place in Vanilla wow.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I <3 daly's link!

Because it never works well in games that do that. You end up with some people using it and some people don't use it, and it segregates people. You end up with groups looking for a healer or something - oh, must have voice chat. And vice versa. You end up often joining groups and nobody talks because they are all together in a voice chat somewhere so you play in utter silence, or you have to join them. You end up with people using it on raids because it's faster and more efficient, so raids without voice chat just don't exist.

When the game promotes one way or the other, you get what you wanted. If there is no "push to talk" built in to the game, most people type. These days admittedly people do tend to use it on raids whether it's built in to the game or not, but still, at least in dungeons and general groups there is no voice chat. And if you do want voice chat, play a game like HoN or whatever and everyone talks constantly. So it should be one way or the other.
Whats to stop a person in a group with everyone else from starting a conversation in text chat and getting others to join it? I don't see the problem. Maybe you just have zero social skills.

Whats to stop a person in a group with everyone else from starting a conversation in text chat and getting others to join it? I don't see the problem. Maybe you just have zero social skills.
Maybe you should fuck off back to WoW with your zero experience of anything in the world. Instead of trying to get me to educate you while you insult me.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'd definitely vote for a game that both encourages pugging (and not the demonizing of it) as well as not having built-in voice chat. One of the sadder things (of a long list of sad things) about MMOs over the last decade is how PUGs are now considered a desperate last-resort and the majority of players tend to run in a closed-off group never to interact with the rest of the server. You have entire guilds hopping from game to game that don't pick up a single new recruit in any game because they exist in complete isolation from the broader community. These guys will be running an external voice chat so the argument is irrelevent while these groups are the majority, so the first step in bringing back noisy (text-based) worlds (like you used to see, say, hanging around brit bank for 5 seconds) is giving the established guilds a reason for properly interacting with the rest of the server.

I'm with you 100% Cerzi. But we are a rare breed.

p.s. I dread to think of all the people coming in here now and telling us how PUG's sucked because everyone was a fail n00b, and how playing with their 'friends' was the only way to play. Sigh.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Maybe you should fuck off back to WoW with your zero experience of anything in the world. Instead of trying to get me to educate you while you insult me.
You did not answer my question. What is to stop you from initiating a conversation that others will join when if they are in voice chat? Again, I think your unwillingness to consider how this is possibly is due to your profound lack of social skills.

I didn't play WoW past TBC BTW. And your previous posts about how easy it was makes it clear you never really raided or did heroics before gear became increasingly easier to get later on in the expansion.

You did not answer my question.
I answered your first question well. Then you insulted me. Now you can continue living in ignorance.

What is to stop you from initiating a conversation that others will join when if they are in voice chat? Again, I think your unwillingness to consider how this is possibly is due to your profound lack of social skills.
I've already done this a million times before. Again, I'm the one who knows how it works, you are the one who has no clue.

I didn't play WoW past TBC BTW.
I love it when WoW players tell me that, like I'm supposed to say OHHH A PRE TBC PLAYER! DUDE YOU WERE THE HARDCORE ELITE! You are talking about a fucking childrens game designed for 8 year olds to be able to play. It was never hardcore, I am not impressed by anything you have done in that game.

And your previous posts about how easy it was makes it clear you never really raided or did heroics before gear became increasingly easier to get later on in the expansion.
I already said when I played. It was during TBC. I got handed free copies of the game all through WoW's life, but I refused to play it on account of it being clearly aimed at pre-teens.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm a huge VC hater as well, but all of these neckbeards complaining that they hate it because it ruins their "immersion"? Tebow H. Christ, get a fucking life. You guys are some serious fucking nerds if you get that "immersed" in agame. I don't know if it's sad, or just downright frightening, that people get that enthralled by a video game.

Regarding combat (not voice chat, I'm getting off topic) I would vastly prefer a fast, reflex based, "I can parry your blow within these 4 frames of the animation" style combat like dark souls or something rather than EQs slow combat. But I would vastly prefer EQs slow play to wows pointless and brain numbing GCD rotation orders. The first is fun, skillful, and active. EQ's is boring but passive. Wow is boring, tedious, and repetitive. Since #1 probably isn't an option, I'll take classic EQ's style instead of WoWs if given the choice.
Almost everything you've said in this thread is a complete mirror of my thoughts. While I don't think EQ had very engrossing gameplay, I'd take it any day of the week and twice on Sunday, over combat systems like WoW. GW2 had a pretty decent combat system. It managed to be reactionary, whilemostlystaying away from the "spammy" effect, the way that WoW and others don't. It's unfortunate that the game just felt so shallow/devoid of meaning.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
How are you the ONE who knows what is best for a game? Your outdated poopsock endorsing design philosophies are truly are what is best for these companies to go by to make a game to satisfy players and generate revenue?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
How are you the ONE who knows what is best for a game? Your outdated poopsock endorsing design philosophies are truly are what is best for these companies to go by to make a game to satisfy players and generate revenue?
He never even raided in EQ, so I can't even take his opinion on EQ that seriously. qwerty, how did you even find this community!?

I'm a huge VC hater as well, but all of these neckbeards complaining that they hate it because it ruins their "immersion"? Tebow H. Christ, get a fucking life. You guys are some serious fucking nerds if you get that "immersed" in agame. I don't know if it's sad, or just downright frightening, that people get that enthralled by a video game.
The fact that you even call them "video games" explains everything.

I never said I was? If I wanted to satisfy large numbers of players and generate lots of revenue, I would probably make a dumb fuck WoW clone too. Ripping off people like you would be very satisfying.

He never even raided in EQ, so I can't even take his opinion on EQ that seriously. qwerty, how did you even find this community!?
I raided in EQ all the time... How can you be so fucking clueless?

Sure you did.
Have you ever even read a single post I've made? I was one of the first level 50's on my server. I also won a GM event which gave me an upper hand against most people. I had a FULL set of planes gear before Kunark was even released... That included two planes weapons, a full set of armor, and a utility item from Nagafen. In the weeks before Kunark, I gave away better gear to friendly guildies than you probably even had at that point.

I was less cutting edge in the raid scene of Kunark, Velious, Luclin and PoP, but I was still there. I just didn't do long all night drunken weekends with it.

Yes he is serious. This is a community that even 'carebears' would look at and say... my god, go back to angry birds son.

You literally typed that minutes ago.
That's why I said 'again'.

Edit-what the hell are they of the aren't video games?
Video games are what 8 year olds play with their consoles. Computer games are what you play on a PC. And being so dumbfounded at the concept of being immersed by a game suggests to me that his first game was probably WoW and his second game was Calladoody 4, and that's pretty much all he has ever played.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can somebody take away his fucking "reply with quote" button? Your fucking narcissism is wildly out of control and you have never said anything that would support the notion you have a properly functioning brain. This is not your thread. This is not your board. STFU for 5 minutes, will ya?