EQ Never

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I do t want those stupid icons on my screen lol. I don't want to pay for bag space, etc.. I just want to log in and play with te entire game in tact

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Hopefully either the shop doesn't have a people limit or it's extremely high. That sounds like bad design.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
pot, kettle, etc.
Exactly.

Convo,

That's one of my issues with cash shops. When I have limited bag space that does interfere with my ability to play the game like I want to. It's an artificial limitation that is just used to irritate me enough to spend more money. I don't need 10 bag slots but I would sure like more than 3-4.

Nobody_sl

shitlord
I'm just curious what are people limits in regards to cash shops?
I could give a shit if people wanna dump money and ignore any meaningful progression. I'll get to the top when I'm ready to get there. What hurts me the most are the shitty, tacky items, transmogs, and other cartoony bullshit that don't belong in what is otherwise a nice fantasy game.

Relevant...
rrr_img_34724.jpg

Randin

Trakanon Raider
With things like bag/bank space, my acceptance of it is basically dependent on how many they give you for free. GW2 is a good example of this; they give you a good number of slots off the bat, and you'll never feel like you *need* to buy new slots, doing so just feels like a convenience, not a necessity.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Wow. Ok. Can you please explain how your analogy translates between MMORPG characters and athletes? Who are the other teams? What are you competing over? How does gaining levels faster hurt your gameplay.

What is the advantage?
are you serious? you really don't understand what the advantage is of XP boosters? if i play for 40 hours and i hit level 30, and another guy plays for 15 hours, uses XP boosters and hits level 40, and we are both at the same skill level, you don't see how that is an advantage? you may not see it as a big deal, but don't be dense. anything that gives you an advantage over other people in the game, however small or insignificant, is still an advantage and is therefore p2w.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
are you serious? you really don't understand what the advantage is of XP boosters? if i play for 40 hours and i hit level 30, and another guy plays for 15 hours, uses XP boosters and hits level 40, and we are both at the same skill level, you don't see how that is an advantage? you may not see it as a big deal, but don't be dense. anything that gives you an advantage over other people in the game, however small or insignificant, is still an advantage and is therefore p2w.
I think the advantage only lies with games like WoW that focus on endgame or older games. A good designer will reduce or negate these advantages to keep the other players happy. The game could start with 10% exp pots and the difference is truly negligible in a 50-60 level starting endgame. EQN doesn't have to have 100% exp pots, etc to go live. They don't have to have any but a smart company can do many things differently. So many on here are putting an imaginary line in the sand over a game with almost nothing shown at this time. EQN isn't trying to be the niche EQ remake some want. It's trying to revive their franchise while bringing back the old gamers they once had. Like the many thousands that left for WoW, etc. An EQ remake just won't cut it today. It didn't cut it almost a decade ago either.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
The current debate boils down to people not accepting that the are a large group of people who consider an MMO a "full time" hobby (meaning they go to work, then come home and play the game, rinse repeat) over a casual game (they play 2-4 days a week)

If you look at the current promo Sony is running which is requesting EQ players to tell their EQ story. You will see there are players who really live their social lives in the game. Whether you agree or disagree with the way they are living their lives, denying it's existence is unacceptable. If you want to be that player who grinds to max, then plays only on raid nights that's fine, go play a wow-clone. Those are the games that are made for you. There is a large population of players who want a more EQeque game whether you like it or not.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I could give a shit if people wanna dump money and ignore any meaningful progression. I'll get to the top when I'm ready to get there. What hurts me the most are the shitty, tacky items, transmogs, and other cartoony bullshit that don't belong in what is otherwise a nice fantasy game.

Relevant...
Beyond the aesthetics, there's something to be said about knowing what the other guy is wearing/using.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The current debate boils down to people not accepting that the are a large group of people who consider an MMO a "full time" hobby (meaning they go to work, then come home and play the game, rinse repeat) over a casual game (they play 2-4 days a week)

If you look at the current promo Sony is running which is requesting EQ players to tell their EQ story. You will see there are players who really live their social lives in the game. Whether you agree or disagree with the way they are living their lives, denying it's existence is unacceptable. If you want to be that player who grinds to max, then plays only on raid nights that's fine, go play a wow-clone. Those are the games that are made for you. There is a large population of players who want a more EQeque game whether you like it or not.
The problem I see is that some people think there was only one type of EQ player which just isn't even close to true. I knew quite a few people that grinded to the max and then only played on raid nights on EQ. That's not an exclusive WoW type gamer. That's been a gamer that has been part of every game ever made in this genre. Another problem is that some think Smed isn't trying to get as much money possible while trying to please as many as possible. Sure, he wants the game to be EQesque. He also knows that some things just weren't popular and when competent competition actually appeared, EQ wasn't even close to top dog anymore. He's a realist and some here are dreamers. Am I hoping he gets EQN close to old school? Sure am! I'm hoping for old world EQ with a lot of nostalgia but also some updates since this isn't 1999 anymore. 1999 emulators are still around for people that want old EQ. Those games are made for you.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The problem I see is that some people think there was only one type of EQ player which just isn't even close to true. I knew quite a few people that grinded to the max and then only played on raid nights on EQ. That's not an exclusive WoW type gamer. That's been a gamer that has been part of every game ever made in this genre. Another problem is that some think Smed isn't trying to get as much money possible while trying to please as many as possible. Sure, he wants the game to be EQesque. He also knows that some things just weren't popular and when competent competition actually appeared, EQ wasn't even close to top dog anymore. He's a realist and some here are dreamers. Am I hoping he gets EQN close to old school? Sure am! I'm hoping for old world EQ with a lot of nostalgia but also some updates since this isn't 1999 anymore. 1999 emulators are still around for people that want old EQ. Those games are made for you.
dude, seriously you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. the reason why EQ wasn't relevant anymore when WoW came out (your opinion of "competent" competition) was because by that time EQ was already over 5 years old and had run its course; mostly due to unpopular expansions like OOW and GOD. people were ready to move on to any game that was out there at that time because the peak of EQ (velious and before) was already long gone. SoL was mediocre at best and PoP was okay, but the golden age of EQ was velious and most of the people i played with on a regular basis left after that expansion. it had really nothing to do with the fundamentals or core game play of EQ which drove people away from it, it was just a game that was getting long in the tooth and people were ready to move on.

Fenz

Silver Knight of the Realm
It is only an advantage if it is a race, wich it isn't imo.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
dude, seriously you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. the reason why EQ wasn't relevant anymore when WoW came out (your opinion of "competent" competition) was because by that time EQ was already over 5 years old and had run its course; mostly due to unpopular expansions like OOW and GOD. people were ready to move on to any game that was out there at that time because the peak of EQ (velious and before) was already long gone. SoL was mediocre at best and PoP was okay, but the golden age of EQ was velious and most of the people i played with on a regular basis left after that expansion. it had really nothing to do with the fundamentals or core game play of EQ which drove people away from it, it was just a game that was getting long in the tooth and people were ready to move on.
So...EQ had some unpopular expansions which I mention. So unpopular that many of your friends left after a little over two years, right? Is that your version of 'long in the tooth'? These people moved on so successfully that WoW was just a blip on the radar screen and has, of course, ran it's five year course of 'longtoothedness' in 2009 right? Damn, talk about stupid. WoW was a massive upgrade at the time and has kept a strong base well over 5 years. Nothing about EQ's fundamental gameplay except that people didn't like to play it right? Because fun isn't fundamental to a game's base at all. Or longtoothedness or whatever excuse is used for why EQ lost massive population after 2004. Yeah...that's the ticket, longtoothedness. I stand corrected.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
What advantage is it other than he got there with less time? How is your character level important? Why do you care that he leveled faster? What is he winning at? Levels? Yay?

Banal_sl

shitlord
I love this thread. It makes me feel smug and self-satisfied. There's a reason WoW changed the market. If you think any executive is going to waste a 100 million dollars making a game for the EQ "core gamer," I just don't know what to tell you.

Producers making big budget games want that money, son. Cocaine doesn't buy itself.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
They can make enough money off F2P games that don't take near as much to develop. They are taking a "risk" with EQN and expecting it to last as long as EQ1 and EQ2 which means it'll need core gamers that wont hop ship after 6 months.

Phred_sl

shitlord
I don't know. Abe's sorta right, there are people out there who will use any advantage to blaze through a game and then bitch when they're at endgame and there isn't enough to do.
And we should care about them why? Fuck them, they did it to themselves. Or do you want to save people from themselves?