EQ Never

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Kickstart it and they will come?

On the more serious side, I agree with increasing immersion and reducing/removing the gps is a good suggestion. Maps are ok to a degree, who didnt have print-outs from one of the two EQ websites in existance or self-drawn maps in EQ? Just dont put a "you are here" on it. I'd like maps to be playermade in the game actually, quality and detail would be based on a cartography skill or something but it should always look like hand-made map (WoW and WHO maps are neat, the gps stuff aside).

People also need to keep in mind that vanilla WoW wasnt all evil, it was an EQ clone with convenience build into it. Mainly it took the perceived monotony out of grinding with quests and lower xp requirements. At release you had to travel alot for many quests to the point that another thread here claims they werent best leveling, you had dangerous mobs or elite areas in most zones (Sons of Arugal come to mind), leveling was slow enough that you didnt pass a whole dungeons level range within the span of a tv show (still 1000x faster then eq ofc), many of the dungeons actually deserved the name, etc. If they had kept to the designs from vanilla instead of moving it from a world to a lobby game with an optional shared world, I probably would have played it alot longer (quit during TBC).

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The freedom aspect including quest driven confuses me. Wouldn't actual ingame freedom include both quest driven content and create your own? Or is having options somehow not part of freedom these days? You missed "No insert_number_here of hardcoded factions" such as Horde/Alliance Order/Chaos and what have you. You might misremember a bit about EQ unless you are talking the first 30 levels of Vanilla only when it comes to harsh death penalty. If by harsh you mean "almost meaningless unless I don't like playing the game anyway" past level 30 or so or are specificially referencing VP's original implementation... then sure! Otherwise, EQ's death penalty was a joke for 99% of the population and little more than a minor annoyance. Even EQ's death penalty wasn't as harsh as EQ's imagined death penalty after level 30. If you mean to make original EQ much more harsh at higher levels, then sure! I'd like to see players handle that, since they -never- have had to before outside of like... specific hardcore mode emu servers or something.

Also, all games encourage you to group. Some handle it better than others, but what is lacking is "forced" grouping for a % of classes. Some classes in EQ could solo effectively, some could not. EQ didn't encourage grouping; it required you to do so in order to play the game period in many cases for people.

I still think the gripe about AHs is hilarious at best because literally the -exact- same EC/Gfay item selling shlock happens in like every MMO in the trade channels. The difference is that you type /2 or /1 instead of /auction. But people having the option to use an AH of some type apparently annoys the shit out of people who also claim to like freedom in their games. Never really understood that one.

I'd generally agree with the rest but a special note about FPV... I can tell you didn't play a puller or tank or anything that was extremely active during combat and couldn't just hit f1 to target someone for a heal. Because the pullers/tanks of the game used 3rd person and the rotating camera a LOT.

And definitely not combat that was as slow paced as EQ's sub endgame combat. Once you didn't need to stare at your book to med, or had any means of mana or health regen, or had stuff to do besides just tapping "Kick" every 10 seconds, EQ's combat was quite enjoyable. The first 30 levels, however, were retarded for combat's sake. Use the last 10 levels and endgame speed and hurray!

Okay, next question: Who's going to pay for the development of such a game?
Just any company who are good enough to run a niche game, like Eve. It might only have say 500,000 players instead of 10 million, but if they all stick with it for 10 years, that's better than all the modern games which sell a million copies and are then dead and f2p a few months later.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
For those who want to play a game like classic EQ again, I have a serious question. Do you still have the same amount of free time now, that you did then? Whether that is a little free time or a lot, is it the same? I'm an "all or nothing" kind of MMO player and when I was 22 in 1999, I had a shitload of free time and could really get into EQ. These days, I really have next to none to really give to an MMO, so I have zero interest in a game like old EQ(for the most part). That's not to say I don't want them to make a game like that. Go for it. I'm all for someone making niche games. I just don't really want to spend the little bit of gaming time I have trying to find a rez or a group or my corpse.

Someone mentioned Kickstarter a few posts up and I think that's probably one of the only ways to get a game that a lot of you are looking for. It lets a developer know up front whether or not there is enough serious interest. Now if only one would show up...

Well Eve is very unattractive to most people too, even sci-fi fans are wary of insane grinds and spreadsheets and griefers and steep learning curves etc. The important thing to me though is that it's a great example of a niche game that survives long term and even goes from strength to strength over the years. You can make a lot of money with a game like that.

EverQuest once peaked at about 500,000 players at some point, and yet that was back in the dark ages. I think a modern version could hold at least that many people, but it would have to be really true to the original imo, ie, challenging and deep.

For those who want to play a game like classic EQ again, I have a serious question. Do you still have the same amount of free time now, that you did then? Whether that is a little free time or a lot, is it the same? I'm an "all or nothing" kind of MMO player and when I was 22 in 1999, I had a shitload of free time and could really get into EQ. These days, I really have next to none to really give to an MMO, so I have zero interest in a game like old EQ(for the most part).
But you don't HAVE to spend huge amounts of hours in EQ. I have plenty of free time still, not as much as I did back in the early EQ days, but I can still spend 5 hours playing 4 nights a week if I want. And maybe even more on a free weekend.

If I have an evening but with limited time, I just take it easy. Instead of setting off on a big adventure, I just go and do something easy for a couple of hours and then log out.

Also, it doesn't HAVE to be only old timers who play. There's a possibility that there are young people who would want to play a game like this. Yeah I know, most of them are retards who like being wrapped in wool, but there will be some who would like a hardcore game.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's not necessarily true when talking about needing a tank. There were plenty of kiting groups if a tank wasn't available.

Fuck I miss quad kiting. Looking back, Druids were really a terrible class, yet an amazing class. And no one gave a fuck.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I miss quading on my Wiz. I remember getting a tell from a noob Wiz asking where he should go to level. I mentioned quading and he never even heard of it. I actually taught him how to quad that day. community...

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I miss quading on my Wiz. I remember getting a tell from a noob Wiz asking where he should go to level. I mentioned quading and he never even heard of it. I actually taught him how to quad that day. community...
I remember asking a fellow player a good way to make money/level on my High Elf Mage. He suggested going to the aqua goblins outside the docks, and even gave me solid directions (I had been camping chessboard). Leveled like 6 times off those two goblin camps and made something like 400pp at level ~18? I remember I thought I was rich! Then they nerfed the shit out of those aqua goblins.
frown.png

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know if Smed is taking some notes here? Can we at least get Brad to read the last few pages? There's a lot of good stuff here I would at least like to hear their side of the why and why not's to these suggestions.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure on Smed. Brad declined an invite to here. Mughal is an unconfirmed SoE employee or so he's alluded to working there=p

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not defending Curt or Brad here, but after the way most of the people on FoH turned on them like a pack of rabid dogs, I imagine most Devs are leary of ever opening themselves up to that. Gaming Devs have a different perspective on the business and the failure of Curt's endeavour. They don't see him as a pariah, just another well meaning (and somewhat clueless) whale devoured by sharks.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Anyone know if Smed is taking some notes here? Can we at least get Brad to read the last few pages? There's a lot of good stuff here I would at least like to hear their side of the why and why not's to these suggestions.
I'd imagine "their side" would be a somewhat more polite version of "We want to make a popular online game that turns a profit, not a loss-making virtual care-home for a tiny group of basket cases".

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd imagine "their side" would be a somewhat more polite version of "We want to make a popular online game that turns a profit, not a loss-making virtual care-home for a tiny group of basket cases".