EQ Never

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I think the most exciting thing I saw today was the world building game.
Seriously, that what has got me the most excited. Like I said earlier, the explanation of the actual mechanics for their "grails" was so nebulous that it sounded like countless promises before--so my expectations are rock bottom (Because it sounded like a lot of bullshit and a pre-alpha product).

However, the EQ-Craft looked really amazing, and I'd love to enter contests and shit to design architecture for a combined world--that sounds awesome.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Some serious haters right now.. EQN looks awesome from the little we know. I thought it was seriously cool. UT you had it wrong guy!
Some serious haters right now.. EQN looks awesome from the little we know. I thought it was seriously cool. UT you had it wrong guy!
I said skills would be based on weapons carried: Check. I said dynamic events would be like Guild Wars 2. Check. I told Draegen in PM's that you would be able to choose from pokemon style classes with really, a fairly endless supply of combinations. Check. (You can verify that with him if the forums stay up long enough). Spells will also be this way although Flipmode stated that before.

Personally, I am waiting to see what happens to the precedurally generated landmasses AFTER destruction. The time between a new procedure build is around 5 minutes (Obviously tweakable).

I am glad you were entertained with a few abilities. I liked the sound effects myself. But the fact of the matter is, this design method creates a whole new can of worms that detracts heavily from a persistent world feel. Especially with the procedurally generated content and it's replacement of what should be static landmarks. Hopefully they have enough sense to mark important POI's as non destructable, but given these are the same idiots that didn't have the foresight to do that with Player Cities and Militia in SWG, I highly doubt it.

And I am against the norm here in that I like the art direction. I have always liked the art direction here (and in WoW) The problem is going to be most of what they talked about isn't in the game yet, and it is easy to make a rally sound more than it is on paper - when really, if you look at it, WoW had rally's then with permanent changes to terrain (Long term events brought in via patches) since Wrath.

I like the Sound effects, the music is copy cat horseshit, I actually liked the animations and the art direction. My concern is more of just why the hell will I want to log in? If I want to play with Legos, I would do so. They didn't talk about the game itself and what made EQ what it is. Player interdependence. And you are not going to get that by depending on others to make your content for you.

In the end, there will be an empty shell of a game here without any reason to log in and play. It most definitely won't be a persistent world.

But, it's free. So who the fuck cares
smile.png
I have no reason to bitch. None of us will be forking over money for it so no skin off my wallet.

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
Personally, I think it looks great. Characters and environment are pretty good. Not exactly what I had imagined, but they do look fine. I didn't expect the same thing we had back in EQ, except in high res. I am glad for that actually. They did go in a direction they felt this game needed and i am open to the ideas they are showing. As to critiquing the look of the game or the animation, or how combat looked.... Get real guys. This game is obviously at least a year from release that all they showed today was a demo of how fighting may look. You noticed the mobs didn't hardly even move, and the "boss" character was probably on a script and did its attacks without any reaction to the players. I wouldn't look into that little bit as a way to compliment the game or denigrate it.

We are still pretty much in the dark as to how this game will actually play. In some media articles they are still saying this game will have defined classes, and that is something I am very happy to hear. Should be fun to see what else is in store in the panels later today and tomorrow.

This game will require a significant hardware upgrade. I'm too old for this shit... I wish it would have been announced for PS4.

I really want this to succeed but I fail to see how this is going to be a sandbox. The avatars and their gear look too much like wow and the particle effects are excessive. On the gameplay, that Kerran looked like a fucking Tauren fighting a Voidwalker in the middle of stranglethorn! amirite?
I will be shocked if they don't either at launch or little later have this on at least PS4 exclusive or on Xbone as well.

Make no mistake I am a pc gamer for life.

My gaming laptop or my desktop blow away even the ps4 specs or Xbone like most of us here on the boards.
XIts just the Sony Boss couple years ago, said all Future MMO's from SoE would be on muti platforms He is the Boss in Japan don't mean Smed either.

From my thinking of the target market for ps4 and xbone its just to much money to leave on the table for them to not port to consoles.

As long as they make the game for PC 1st, don't take shortcuts so they can port it, fuck us pc gamers. I would be fine with it.

That being said I am buying Ps4 and maybe even Xbone at launch, but die hard pc gamer 1st.

Cheers.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Are these beta sign-ups for Landmark only, or for the actual game aswell? Because the station account system being the usual piece of shit, i can't seem to register for the beta on the EQN website.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are these beta sign-ups for Landmark only, or for the actual game aswell? Because the station account system being the usual piece of shit, i can't seem to register for the beta on the EQN website.
The first link was for EQ:N the 2nd link was for the landmark.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Landmark. They are so fucking far away from launching any EQ Next Beta it is mindblowing.

They went through two complete stop starts in 3 years. They have, really, jack shit in the game.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
First "round table question"

To what degree should players be able to change the appearance of armor?

Answer that's currently in the lead:

Some, but not so much that I can't tell what they're wearing47%

Which I agree with. I hate the ability to completely change the look of armor, it gives items no meaning. HOWEVER. I think players should control the color and tint of the armor, so it can at least make different suits mesh while you're gear gathering--I hate clown suits. But knowing what people are wearing by look? Is a huge aspect of immersion for me.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I said skills would be based on weapons carried: Check. I said dynamic events would be like Guild Wars 2. Check. I told Draegen in PM's that you would be able to choose from pokemon style classes with really, a fairly endless supply of combinations. Check. (You can verify that with him if the forums stay up long enough). Spells will also be this way although Flipmode stated that before.

Personally, I am waiting to see what happens to the precedurally generated landmasses AFTER destruction. The time between a new procedure build is around 5 minutes (Obviously tweakable).

I am glad you were entertained with a few abilities. I liked the sound effects myself. But the fact of the matter is, this design method creates a whole new can of worms that detracts heavily from a persistent world feel. Especially with the procedurally generated content and it's replacement of what should be static landmarks. Hopefully they have enough sense to mark important POI's as non destructable, but given these are the same idiots that didn't have the foresight to do that with Player Cities and Militia in SWG, I highly doubt it.

And I am against the norm here in that I like the art direction. I have always liked the art direction here (and in WoW) The problem is going to be most of what they talked about isn't in the game yet, and it is easy to make a rally sound more than it is on paper - when really, if you look at it, WoW had rally's then with permanent changes to terrain (Long term events brought in via patches) since Wrath.

I like the Sound effects, the music is copy cat horseshit, I actually liked the animations and the art direction. My concern is more of just why the hell will I want to log in? If I want to play with Legos, I would do so. They didn't talk about the game itself and what made EQ what it is. Player interdependence. And you are not going to get that by depending on others to make your content for you.
I can agree with most of that. The only part is they did talk about Mob AI which I thought should of been done a long time ago.. Of course we will have to see how all this plays out. The class system still needs explaining to me b/c it seems limited to an extent depending on your 2 weapons? I think based on your comments I was expecting something underwhelming and personally it wasn't for me. At this point it really is just talk until we try the game tho

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
tons of action 'splosions and AOE and shit going on... looks like it will give me a headache after playing it for one hour like GW2. EQ was much slower paced and you could play it for 12 hours/day and not feel burned out. New games with non-stop action are just exhausting to play. They're more catered to players that want to log on for 15 minutes, whack some shit then log out and watch TUF or play their consoles. No thanks

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
This game looked good until they showed that live combat demo. All I saw was a bunch of spinning and particles and no actual impacts on the creature or any reaction animations from the creature.
Really? The Shield Smashes were pushing mobs back, etc. Even mob corpses were getting thrown around.

It will separate the men from the boys now. And I don't mean in the figurative way but literally, anyone over like 25 or something, will not be interested in this lame little kids game, Fantasy Minecraft Online with Spellz n Swordz Dude Bro ORsum! And anyone under that age will think it is the second coming.

The game is in development. But it was important to show people actually moving stuff on screen as opposed to canned demos like the E3/Kinect ones. Remember the one where the guy was moving his lightsaber after the character on screen had moved? Or the atrocious football run? yeah. Like, the game exists, it moved like that, tons of features still to finish.
Your company are total fucking scum bags for using the EQ name for this game. It should have been called Fantasy Craft Online or something. Calling it EQ makes me think it's just SOE's last stand, and they don't give a fuck about anyone. They are desperate and anything goes.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
The EQ Landmark "game" is going to give them some pretty incredible content to work with at a much faster rate than any development team could come up with. It's amazing/mind boggling some of the stuff people have built in Minecraft with much simpler tools.
I'm pretty happy about the direction they've gone with that and can't wait to see how it turns out and helps them build the actual game.

I want to actually participate, it's fun to build things in a 3d space - especially if you see it go into the actual game...that would be pretty damn neat.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It will separate the men from the boys now. And I don't mean in the figurative way but literally, anyone over like 25 or something, will not be interested in this lame little kids game, Fantasy Minecraft Online with Spellz n Swordz Dude Bro ORsum! And anyone under that age will think it is the second coming.

Your company are total fucking scum bags for using the EQ name for this game. It should have been called Fantasy Craft Online or something. Calling it EQ makes me think it's just SOE's last stand, and they don't give a fuck about anyone. They are desperate and anything goes.
I don't mind what they did with EQN. What has always bothered me is how they ignore that a lot of us want a true EQ sequel. It seems the logic to not make it is bc people can still play the old one which is retarded:-(

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can agree with most of that. The only part is they did talk about Mob AI which I thought should of been done a long time ago.. Of course we will have to see how all this plays out. The class system still needs explaining to me b/c it seems limited to an extent depending on your 2 weapons? I think based on your comments I was expecting something underwhelming and personally it wasn't for me. At this point it really is just talk until we try the game tho
what it sounded like to me was just that you don't choose a class, your class is chosen by the weapon you wield at the time. So you make simba and you can play whatever class you want via wearing that weapon or weapons tied to that class and each weapon has its own abilities(gw2). I would assume armor worn has to match whatever you are playing atm? It almost sounds like FFXI and FFXVI job system, 1 character that can be everything if you level each up but 2 weapons per class instead of 1(or maybe more, but if warrior only has 2).

Of course I could be all wrong and its something different.

I want to actually participate, it's fun to build things in a 3d space - especially if you see it go into the actual game...that would be pretty damn neat.
Aww aint that cute, I have some playdough if you want to play with that?! Want me to make you a likkle space ship? You want to make a likkle giraffe? THATS A GOOD BOY!